Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

MX793

Was there some kind of fire sale on 2011-2013 diesel VWs at auction recently?  Looking at the local used car superstore's inventory for a winter car replacement in the <$10K price range, and 70 of the 80 cars they have in inventory in that price range are diesel Jettas and Golfs circa 2012.

They also have way more VWs than any other brand.  Like 20% of their inventory.  191 VWs for sale compared with less than 70 for any other brand (Chevy is the second highest at 69)
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

MX793

Just went through their entire VW inventory.  156 of 191 are 2.0TDI models.  Must have picked them up for a song at a dealer auction someplace, because I can't believe they were all recently traded in locally.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 11, 2019, 10:04:50 AM
I mean what are you supposed to do in traffic

Plus no other DCTs have this issue

Powershift is Powershit

(FWIW I had no problems with the Focus rental I had a few years back)

Creeping traffic shouldn't exist. It is immoral.

I also had a rental Powershit Focus, and I really liked it.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

giant_mtb

Powershift is Powershit

I drove a Focus with the DCT for the first time a couple months ago when I detailed one.  It was different than a normal automatic, as I could feel the clutch working, but after spending some time with it you just adjust how you input off idle to keep it smooth.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: MX793 on May 11, 2019, 10:05:24 AM
Was there some kind of fire sale on 2011-2013 diesel VWs at auction recently?  Looking at the local used car superstore's inventory for a winter car replacement in the <$10K price range, and 70 of the 80 cars they have in inventory in that price range are diesel Jettas and Golfs circa 2012.

They also have way more VWs than any other brand.  Like 20% of their inventory.  191 VWs for sale compared with less than 70 for any other brand (Chevy is the second highest at 69)

Were those years Dieselgate buy backs that have finally been "fixed"?

FoMoJo

Powershift is Powershit

I agree.  Ford dropped the ball on the Fiesta and Focus versions of Powershift...The PowerShift gearbox is a joint development between Ford, Getrag and Luk and was first introduced in Europe. Both Volvo and Ford use wet clutches and hydraulic actuation.[3][4] However, the new PowerShift gearbox used in the Ford Fiesta and Ford Focus uses dry clutches and electric motor/solenoid actuation.[2]

I drove a rental Fiesta on vacation for one day and had to exchange it because the shifting was so crappy.  The other car they gave me was also a Fiesta, newer model, and it was okay.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

MX793

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on May 11, 2019, 11:33:57 AM
Were those years Dieselgate buy backs that have finally been "fixed"?

Those are the years that were recalled to be fixed, so that must be it.  Not sure who they (local auto mall) think will want all of these.  I think the public perception of VW diesels is pretty poor still, and the "fix" reportedly detuned the engines and decreased fuel economy.  Don't think there are enough VW diesel fanboys in the area to justify putting that many diesels into the used car inventory pool.  Unless they picked them up absolutely dirt cheap (like 3-5K a piece).  They've listed all of them somewhere in the in high 9Ks to low teens and most are pretty low mileage.  Must be hoping people will overlook the diesel aspect for a clean, lower mileage car and grabbed them cheaply enough that they can sit on the lot a while, or have some decent negotiating room, whereby they can still make a fat profit if and when they do sell.
Needs more Jiggawatts

Eye of the Tiger

Man, if I can get one for a good price, heck yeah. Dieselgate dib't scare me.

cawimmer430

This is an interesting feature in the new A-Class.

Depending on how I drive I can naturally save fuel and extend my range. There are three different criteria in the display: acceleration, coasting and consistency. The more consistent driving and coasting I do, the better my gas mileage and the more range I  get. The less acceleration I do per trip, the better my fuel economy.

So on the long trip I did below, my relatively efficient driving style got me 32.1 km of extra range. This extra range will be added to the total range displayed next to the gas pump (the total range will go up).

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

r0tor

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on May 11, 2019, 11:19:24 AM
Creeping traffic shouldn't exist. It is immoral.

I also had a rental Powershit Focus, and I really liked it.

It's fine until you have to change the clutches every year like our former POS and my in laws POS
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

CaminoRacer

I enjoyed driving my brother's Focus but he's gotten annoyed about having to take it to the dealer for fixes.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

SJ_GTI

Quote from: SJ_GTI on May 09, 2019, 01:03:35 PM
I don't disagree with your overarching point. This sentence piqued my curiosity though...I haven't heard of GM's super cruise. Is this on the Bolt?

So interestingly (coincidentally?) I was listening to Joe Rogan's podcast episode with Lex Fridman and he was talking about this. He did say GM's super cruise is probably the closest thing on the market to Tesla's Autopilot, but he said they have a very different philosophy. It is mainly designed to work on interstate highways whereas Tesla is designed to be used on highways or in traffic. He also mentioned that GM's system monitors driver engagement via a camera instead of just monitoring whether your hands are on the steering wheel.

It was a pretty interesting (and relatively deep) dive into automated driving and AI, among other things.

shp4man

I have to take courses on how all this electronic driving aid crap works for my job. Correct operation depends on a shitload of things working correctly. Sometimes I think it's cutting edge and a benefit, other times it just makes me  :facepalm:.
It doesn't always work correctly, but then again, neither do my old school skills driving Ol' Blue. Sometimes the current driving conditions insanity is very taxing with a 1960's vehicle. Sometimes clueless, distracted drivers are a huge pain.
The Focus is a better choice for commuting, for sure.

Laconian

Stop and go is murder on fuel economy too. I bet Old Blue would score much better M's PG if she could preserve her inertia a bit better.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Laconian on May 13, 2019, 01:22:41 PM
Stop and go is murder on fuel economy too. I bet Old Blue would score much better M's PG if she could preserve her inertia a bit better.

GMC seems to get 13 MPG whether it's on the highway, or stuck in traffic. It don't care. Gas is always delicious.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on May 13, 2019, 01:39:38 PM
GMC seems to get 13 MPG whether it's on the highway, or stuck in traffic. It don't care. Gas is always delicious.

My El Camino is the same way.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

12,000 RPM

Check for leaks

Make sure TPI nozzles are clean

Lower and put flat panel on underbodies.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 13, 2019, 01:50:47 PM
Check for leaks

Make sure TPI nozzles are clean

Lower and put flat panel on underbodies.

What about a tailpiece?

Eye of the Tiger

93JC

Well THAT is an unfortunately image to show up while I'm browsing t3h 'SPIN at work...

r0tor

Hmmm... I don't think I want to ponder that
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 93JC on May 13, 2019, 05:01:11 PM
Well THAT is an unfortunately image to show up while I'm browsing t3h 'SPIN at work...

You guys have work? eh, fixed

r0tor

I can just think of the glorious advertisements that will be thrown my way if I click on that link  :muffin:

Laconian

Wag wag wag. Are you doing Kegel exercises or are you happy to see me?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Laconian on May 13, 2019, 07:30:36 PM
Wag wag wag. Are you doing Kegel exercises or are you happy to see me?

Yes.

cawimmer430

Hmmmm...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMWmYJOa-BM

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

BimmerM3

Quote from: cawimmer430 on May 15, 2019, 10:45:05 AM
Hmmmm...

Pretty much.

It's a slight stretch since the restricted areas on dealerships aren't massive (i.e. there's only one Honda dealership in Boulder, but there are several more around the Denver metro area within an hour's drive) so there's still some competition if you're willing to put forth the effort of driving around your area to pit dealerships against each other. But it's definitely a model that's specifically designed to benefit dealers, not consumers.

cawimmer430

Quote from: BimmerM3 on May 15, 2019, 11:57:47 AM
Pretty much.

It's a slight stretch since the restricted areas on dealerships aren't massive (i.e. there's only one Honda dealership in Boulder, but there are several more around the Denver metro area within an hour's drive) so there's still some competition if you're willing to put forth the effort of driving around your area to pit dealerships against each other. But it's definitely a model that's specifically designed to benefit dealers, not consumers.

Capitalism, baby. :ohyeah:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Eye of the Tiger