Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

FoMoJo

It makes no sense to buy a, sort of, sports car like the 86 with an automatic. :nutty:
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

MX793

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on May 15, 2019, 03:41:23 PM
teh manuelz  :cry:

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/05/15/toyota-manual-transmission-sales-figures/

The problem with that article is that it doesn't consider that the MTs weren't available in all trims and configurations of those models.  In may cases, the MT is only available in the cheapest, least desirable trim which sells poorly to begin with, or the most expensive trim (which also often doesn't sell well with cheaper cars).

For the Taco, the MT was only available in the TRD models (TRD Sport short or long cab, TRD Off-road long cab, TRD Pro).  What percentage of all Taco sales were TRD models?  What percentage of those were sold with a stick?  IIRC, Toyota's volume sellers were the SR5 (AT only) and Limited (AT only).

For the Corolla, the MT was only available in the mid-level SE trim.  The L, LE, XLE, and XSE were all auto-only.  How many Corollas were SEs?  How many of those were equipped with the MT?

For the Yaris hatch, MT was only in the 3-door L (cheapest) or 5-door SE (most expensive).  The volume trims were AT-only.

As for the 86, not sure if things have changed since the days when that car first came out, but when the FRS debuted, Toyota dictated how many manuals vs autos were built and what dealers got what, not the consumers.  An associate who was a salesman at the local Scion dealer was complaining that they couldn't get an MT FRS from Toyota and they were losing customers left and right who would stop in upon seeing the car was in stock and leave with a "call me when you get one with a stick" when they saw it was automatic.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

BimmerM3

Quote from: MX793 on May 15, 2019, 04:09:57 PM
For the Taco, the MT was only available in the TRD models (TRD Sport short or long cab, TRD Off-road long cab, TRD Pro).  What percentage of all Taco sales were TRD models?  What percentage of those were sold with a stick?  IIRC, Toyota's volume sellers were the SR5 (AT only) and Limited (AT only).

TRD Off-Road long cab, short bed :cry:

I want that, but with a long bed. Auto only. :(

I briefly searched out of curiosity, but couldn't find numbers listed by trim. Anecdotally, most of the Tacos I see here (Boulder, CO) seem to be TRD Off-road trim but it's also an area where people actually use those offroad in situations where a rear locker might come in handy.

cawimmer430

End of May a shoot for a car magazine: Hyundai Kona E (Electric) and Hyundai Nexo (Hydrogen Fuel-Cell).

Looking forward to driving both if I can.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

FoMoJo

Sounds interesting, especially the hydrogen fuel cell.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

FoMoJo

giant_mtb

Quote from: BimmerM3 on May 15, 2019, 04:46:55 PM
TRD Off-Road long cab, short bed :cry:

I want that, but with a long bed. Auto only. :(

I briefly searched out of curiosity, but couldn't find numbers listed by trim. Anecdotally, most of the Tacos I see here (Boulder, CO) seem to be TRD Off-road trim but it's also an area where people actually use those offroad in situations where a rear locker might come in handy.

Long-cab, long-bed Tacos are friggin' unicorns. 

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: FoMoJo on May 15, 2019, 05:30:25 PM
This thing just makes me drool :drool:.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hos7-D2SP8A
Seems like Motor Week has been on forever! LOL!!! I watched it as a little kid back in the 80's......
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

93JC

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C6 on May 15, 2019, 08:35:03 PM
Seems like Motor Week has been on forever! LOL!!! I watched it as a little kid back in the 80's......

Very first episode of MotorWeek; October 15, 1981:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwXM199GKYg

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: FoMoJo on May 15, 2019, 05:30:25 PM
This thing just makes me drool :drool:.

GT350 is lovely. End-of-an-era analog car. I really like it.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

FoMoJo

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C6 on May 15, 2019, 10:11:08 PM
I was 7......
Yeah, I always looked forward to watching it.  Not a real in depth automotive show, but usually laid back and informative.  Davis and Goss have grown into old farts on that show.  Haven't seen it for years though.

BimmerM3

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 15, 2019, 05:31:32 PM
Long-cab, long-bed Tacos are friggin' unicorns. 

They're not super rare around here, but definitely way less common than long cab, short bed.

giant_mtb

Quote from: BimmerM3 on May 16, 2019, 10:14:24 AM
They're not super rare around here, but definitely way less common than long cab, short bed.

They look odd to me.

BimmerM3

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 16, 2019, 10:24:53 AM
They look odd to me.

They are quite long - almost 3 ft longer than Exploder. But having a real back seat and a bed long enough to sleep in is appealing.

giant_mtb

Quote from: BimmerM3 on May 16, 2019, 11:11:00 AM
They are quite long - almost 3 ft longer than Exploder. But having a real back seat and a bed long enough to sleep in is appealing.

For sure.

cawimmer430

A question...

The green D appears when I am in ECO MODE and only when I coast at lower speeds. This means the car is in Sailing Mode - the transmission is decoupled from the engine.

How does this save gas?  :confused:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

CaminoRacer

Less drivetrain resistance = the car can coast further = you don't have to touch the gas pedal as much because your speed doesn't drop as quickly.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Soup DeVille

You're coasting. The engine can idle at a lower speed than it could if it had to keeping matching the transmission/driveshaft speed.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 16, 2019, 03:05:26 PM
You're coasting. The engine can idle at a lower speed than it could if it had to keeping matching the transmission/driveshaft speed.

I've heard that modern engines will shut off the injectors while coasting. Don't know if it's true or not.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Soup DeVille

Quote from: CaminoRacer on May 16, 2019, 03:06:36 PM
I've heard that modern engines will shut off the injectors while coasting. Don't know if it's true or not.

Yes, well, some, in some conditions, but this produces a mild engine-braking effect.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Older fuel injected things, but not too old. New shit has to spray fuel to keep the converters warmed up for emissions.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

cawimmer430

Quote from: CaminoRacer on May 16, 2019, 03:03:44 PM
Less drivetrain resistance = the car can coast further = you don't have to touch the gas pedal as much because your speed doesn't drop as quickly.

:cheers:

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 16, 2019, 03:05:26 PM

:cheers:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Laconian

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on May 16, 2019, 03:20:53 PM
Older fuel injected things, but not too old. New shit has to spray fuel to keep the converters warmed up for emissions.

ORLY?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

2o6

Quote from: Laconian on May 16, 2019, 03:57:35 PM
ORLY?

I'm pretty sure that's dependent on the model. My Yaris would cut the injectors

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 2o6 on May 16, 2019, 04:01:03 PM

I'm pretty sure that's dependent on the model. My Yaris would cut the injectors

It is very model dependent. You never know what some dumbass engineer is going to program into the ECU.

MexicoCityM3

Police seized a lot of exotic cars in my town today. A banking hacker group was arrested. Take a look:

https://www.am.com.mx/noticias/Asi-se-llama-la-banda-de-hackers-que-robo-millones-y-fue-detenida-en-Leon-20190516-0037.html

I'd seen a couple of those cars around. One of the raided houses is in the complex where I live.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

93JC

Leader of the hacker group is named Hector; coincidence? I think not.  :pullover: :pullover: :nono:

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 93JC on May 16, 2019, 05:48:55 PM
Leader of the hacker group is named Hector; coincidence? I think not.  :pullover: :pullover: :nono:

It's always some guy named Hector with a bunch of cars.

12,000 RPM

I think they have been doing this for a long time

I'm pretty sure that is how you can bump start a car with a manual transmission.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs