Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

FoMoJo

Quote from: MX793 on June 18, 2019, 05:14:37 PM
No, Gen1 Focus was on the C170 platform while the 3 was on the C1.  2nd generation Focus (the one never sold in America) was on the same platform as the 3.
You are correct, I think.  Mazda 3 Mk1 debuted with the C1/Mazda B platform at the same time as the Focus Euro Mk2 with the C1 platform.  It was heavier and not as agile as the Focus Mk1.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

93JC

To be fair C170 and C1 were very, very similar. The Mk. I Focus drove a lot like my Mk. II Mazda 3. Poking around underneath the rear the 3 has almost exactly the same "Crossblade" suspension as the Focus.

2o6

Quote from: 93JC on June 18, 2019, 06:18:20 PM
To be fair C170 and C1 were very, very similar. The Mk. I Focus drove a lot like my Mk. II Mazda 3. Poking around underneath the rear the 3 has almost exactly the same "Crossblade" suspension as the Focus.

They still used the "cross blade" on the MK3 Focus, too.

Eye of the Tiger

It's Control Blade™
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

giant_mtb

Eye of the Tiger

Exactly, but with more control

MexicoCityM3

Ran into a couple of trucks hauling Mexican built BMW 3 series from the San Luis Potosi plant yesterday on my drive to Mexico City.

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on June 18, 2019, 08:31:44 PM
Ran into a couple of trucks hauling Mexican built BMW 3 series from the San Luis Potosi plant yesterday on my drive to Mexico City.

I've never seen the side panels like that before- seems smart.
Will

AutobahnSHO

I'm 16days away from Miata gloriousness. Everything is lining up nicely!  :rockon:
Will

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on June 19, 2019, 04:46:26 AM
I'm 16days away from Miata gloriousness. Everything is lining up nicely!  :rockon:

But why buy a Miata when you can buy a 1998 Dakota? I don't understand.

FoMoJo

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on June 19, 2019, 04:46:26 AM
You've already bought one?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Galaxy

VW is really throwing the Diesel under the Bus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEvNL6oEr0U

Yowsers!

MrH

You guys are just Mazda haters.

If it didn't mean taking a $5,000 bath, I'd trade my Accord for a new, fully loaded Mazda 3.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

12,000 RPM

If the NA 6 is OK enough on my commute I'd trade the Optima for one. They make fuel efficient, well designed cars. But I wouldn't call a 3 or 6 the last word in driving thrills in their respective classes. Performance still matters for driver's cars.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MrH

They're the best all around for a lot of stuff.  They focus on a lot of cool things dynamics wise that other OEMs don't care about.  I'm very sold on their #brand.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

NomisR

Is it wrong for me to want the GT4?  I wonder if my wife's cousin lease one, she works for Porsche and they have this program that allows employees to lease the cars for 6 months so they can have used Porsches on the market to sell..

2o6

Anyways I think I'm gonna buy a Civic turbo next year.

HurricaneSteve

I too am interested to see what he got.

Quote from: FoMoJo on June 19, 2019, 08:56:03 AM
You've already bought one?

HurricaneSteve

Nope! I'd say go for it if you can.

Quote from: NomisR on June 19, 2019, 02:01:37 PM
Is it wrong for me to want the GT4?  I wonder if my wife's cousin lease one, she works for Porsche and they have this program that allows employees to lease the cars for 6 months so they can have used Porsches on the market to sell..

HurricaneSteve

Same. I grew up as a fan of Preludes, Integras and S2000's, which transitioned to RSX's, TL's and TSX's, led me to taking the plunge on a 2010 Accord and it was a mistake. In my mind Mazda occupies the space that Honda once did philisophically--an engineering company that pens clean, purposeful design and well balanced vehicles throughout their lineup, often leading their respective classes in driving dynamics. The fact that they've been able to do all of the above and compete for top honors in reliability as well is pretty darned impressive.

Quote from: MrH on June 19, 2019, 01:11:12 PM
They're the best all around for a lot of stuff.  They focus on a lot of cool things dynamics wise that other OEMs don't care about.  I'm very sold on their #brand.

93JC

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on June 18, 2019, 07:12:47 PM
It's Control Blade™

Ha, thanks, I couldn't remember exactly what the hell it's called. :lol:

NomisR

Quote from: HurricaneSteve on June 19, 2019, 03:02:03 PM
Nope! I'd say go for it if you can.

I need a 3 or 4 car garage..

Quote from: HurricaneSteve on June 19, 2019, 03:09:54 PM
Same. I grew up as a fan of Preludes, Integras and S2000's, which transitioned to RSX's, TL's and TSX's, led me to taking the plunge on a 2010 Accord and it was a mistake. In my mind Mazda occupies the space that Honda once did philisophically--an engineering company that pens clean, purposeful design and well balanced vehicles throughout their lineup, often leading their respective classes in driving dynamics. The fact that they've been able to do all of the above and compete for top honors in reliability as well is pretty darned impressive.

The main thing that's holding back Mazda from the mainstream is that their cars is in general smaller than the competition, while that's what I love about it, those that's not looking for the driving dynamic would prefer a bigger car and gadgets.

2o6

Mazda cars aren't appreciably smaller than the competition, they're just not always packaged well.

Whereas Honda and Nissan cars are usually packaged very well. (Toyota seems to be hit or miss lately) I'm just saying you can have your cake and eat it too - you can get a roomy interior, good economy, and sharp dynamics in one package. The Mazda might drive sharper to some tastes, but I don't think the compromises in utility and cost are worth it; at least with their latest crop of vehicles.

I think there's a real reason why Mazda won't be the volume giants that Honda and Toyota are, even in their home market. I'm not convinced the gap in quality and handling between Mazda products and everyone else really is that big. Especially since "good driving" is subjective to a lot of people.

IDFK how y'all read that as "Mazda hate". They're nice vehicles. The Mazda 3 is too expensive for the main option I'd want (MT shift) but the "Toyota Yaris" is a really nice driving car. Shame the new hatchback is automatic only.

Eye of the Tiger

How the fuck is the new "Toyota Yaris" hatchback automatic only? Fuck everything.

Eye of the Tiger

2o6

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on June 19, 2019, 04:01:32 PM
How the fuck is the new "Toyota Yaris" hatchback automatic only? Fuck everything.

I'm gonna guess and say parts availability? The MT shift is only on the bottom two trims of the sedan. I think the Puerto Rican Mazda 2 hatch base model is the only one with a manual option.

HurricaneSteve

They're not packaged as well but they also don't have any ungainly looking vehicles in their lineup either. Mazda won't ever have Toyota/Honda/Nissan-like volume because they tried the mainstream/price proposition before and failed.  Ford, GM and Chrysler are all finding out too that it's hard to compete with those three as far as mid-sized sedans and compacts go, no matter how good your products are. Mazda is, however, finding their niche with upscale feeling SUV's and that vibe is trickling down to the rest of their vehicles. Whether or not this strategy will work long term remains to be seen but so far even with high volume Nissan isn't on solid ground. Honda and Toyota have both been doing well for quite some time though so that is nothing new.

Even if the subjective gap in quality and dynamics isn't that big, Mazda has nailed down brand identity and reliability, two things that I think will serve them well going forward.

Quote from: 2o6 on June 19, 2019, 03:33:45 PM
Mazda cars aren't appreciably smaller than the competition, they're just not always packaged well.

Whereas Honda and Nissan cars are usually packaged very well. (Toyota seems to be hit or miss lately) I'm just saying you can have your cake and eat it too - you can get a roomy interior, good economy, and sharp dynamics in one package. The Mazda might drive sharper to some tastes, but I don't think the compromises in utility and cost are worth it; at least with their latest crop of vehicles.

I think there's a real reason why Mazda won't be the volume giants that Honda and Toyota are, even in their home market. I'm not convinced the gap in quality and handling between Mazda products and everyone else really is that big. Especially since "good driving" is subjective to a lot of people.

IDFK how y'all read that as "Mazda hate". They're nice vehicles. The Mazda 3 is too expensive for the main option I'd want (MT shift) but the "Toyota Yaris" is a really nice driving car. Shame the new hatchback is automatic only.

HurricaneSteve

It could be a pricing strategy too, since automatics command higher prices than manual versions. Charging more for the hatchback to make up for a deficiency in sales versus the sedan makes sense.

Quote from: 2o6 on June 19, 2019, 04:17:47 PM

I'm gonna guess and say parts availability? The MT shift is only on the bottom two trims of the sedan. I think the Puerto Rican Mazda 2 hatch base model is the only one with a manual option.

12,000 RPM

People don't buy mainstream manuals anymore
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 19, 2019, 04:26:30 PM
People don't buy mainstream manuals anymore

That's because they don't build them anymore. :evildude: :hammerhead: