Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: CaminoRacer on June 21, 2019, 09:33:41 PM
Great, more laws to fix stupidity and increase complexity and cost.
:hesaid:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

NomisR

Darwinism seems like a good idea...

Laconian

Quote from: MX793 on June 22, 2019, 09:52:16 AM
My Mustang honks the horn if I get out with the key and close the door while the car is running.  It's the same honk you get when you remotely lock the doors, though.  So someone might just assume it was the door lock confirmation honk.  Of course, if you can't hear a Mustang idling in the close confines of an enclosed garage, you're probably too deaf to hear the horn honk.

Correct, we must mandate a solution that accommodates 85 year old FOGs.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

FoMoJo

Quote from: Laconian on June 22, 2019, 12:53:21 PM
Correct, we must mandate a solution that accommodates 85 year old FOGs.
:fogey:
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

12,000 RPM

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Galaxy

This is the most red neck thing I have seen but it seems like fun.

https://youtu.be/q6o_PQWV1ik?t=233

Galaxy

One the one hand it is a bit disappointing that they are moving away from separate E Brand, but I guess they are becoming more prevalent.

12,000 RPM

What are we looking at here Galaxy

530e?

Galaxy

Apparently a 720hp Porsche Taycan fighter. No word on whether it is 1 year, two years or longer away. Some German magazine journalists were told that it does not yet have the final batteries installed.

giant_mtb

Looks really nice, unlike some other recent BMWs.  :hammerhead:

BimmerM3

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 25, 2019, 01:31:51 PM
Looks really nice, unlike some other recent BMWs.  :hammerhead:

I think that's just the current 5er with an electric powertrain. The styling isn't anything unique (other than the random bumper camo, furthering my theory that car camo is actually designed to make the cars stand out to get free press).

12,000 RPM

Yea, the camo just gives it some much needed flavor. 5er remains as bland as it's been since 2011.

giant_mtb

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 25, 2019, 03:52:40 PM
Yea, the camo just gives it some much needed flavor. 5er remains as bland as it's been since 2011.

I guess I have a soft spot for subtle, stately, large cars.  Not everything needs to be crazy and edgy like a Civic.

CALL_911

I think the E60 and the F10 are some of the best looking sedans on the road

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

12,000 RPM

I love the E60; hate the F10. F10 has no tension or athleticism. It looks middle aged, in a bad way.

BimmerM3

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 25, 2019, 03:52:40 PM

Oh, I didn't mean that. I think it's a fine looking vehicle. I was just pointing out that it's not new.

giant_mtb

Galaxy

So BMW Head of Design Adrian van Hooydonk  has talked about the controversy regarding the giant grill. I guess they were expecting controversy, but not this level of hate. Anyways the good news is that future 7 Series should get smaller grilles again. No, no, no, not that  van Hooydonk and his team made any mistakes but because Chinese tastes are becoming more subtle. Whatever.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Galaxy on June 28, 2019, 12:42:16 PM
So BMW Head of Design Adrian van Hooydonk  has talked about the controversy regarding the giant grill. I guess they were expecting controversy, but not this level of hate. Anyways the good news is that future 7 Series should get smaller grilles again. No, no, no, not that  van Hooydonk and his team made any mistakes but because Chinese tastes are becoming more subtle. Whatever.

Are we designing cars around Chinese tastes now?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Laconian

Why wouldn't they? That's the growth market for lux.

FoMoJo

A real problem...'Very Smart People,' but a Keyless Car's Downside Killed Them

For Sherry H. Penney, a former university chancellor, and her husband, James D. Livingston, a retired physicist, the 2017 Toyota Avalon was a sensible purchase. It was a model she and her husband had owned before, but the new version had electronic sensors and other advanced features.

Ms. Penney, 81, and Mr. Livingston, 88, were found dead at their home in Sarasota, Fla., poisoned by carbon monoxide, according to preliminary tests by the local medical examiner. Susan Livingston said that after the car — which had a keyless ignition — pulled into the garage attached to their house, the engine had continued to run.

I've stabbed the button on mine to turn it off a couple of times, and didn't quite make the appropriate contact.  Can't tell from sitting inside whether it's still running it's so damned quiet.  Always look at the tach before I get out now.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

Laconian

I wonder what the fatality rate is for people leaving regular keys in the car?

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Laconian on June 28, 2019, 02:48:09 PM

A fair question.

I like to know equipment I'm working on is "locked out." Easy with a car, you just take the key out of the ignition and put it in your pocket. Except now, that won't work anymore.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

FoMoJo

Quote from: Laconian on June 28, 2019, 02:48:09 PM
We do things by rote.  Removing a key is an action that some do not think about.  Pushing a button is also something some do not think about.  However, the key will be in your pocket and the ignition switched off if it's a keyed ignition.  Not pushing the button far enough will result in the car still running and the key still in your pocket.

Laconian

My cars make very loud beeps when I exit them with the engine running. Doesn't yours?

Eye of the Tiger

Ranger doesn't give a fuck.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Laconian on June 28, 2019, 04:11:02 PM
My cars make very loud beeps when I exit them with the engine running. Doesn't yours?

Weird thing happened with the Dakota the other day. Hit the stop button and got out as usual, but the car beeps at me "Accessory still on."

Apparently because my phone was plugged into the USB aux, the system was waiting on the phone to shut down or something? Anyways, unplugged the phone and had to start/stop the button again to get it to shut down normally.

I'm wondering now what other buggy behavior these do from time to time.

Laconian

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 28, 2019, 04:54:08 PM
Weird thing happened with the Dakota the other day. Hit the stop button and got out as usual, but the car beeps at me "Accessory still on."

Apparently because my phone was plugged into the USB aux, the system was waiting on the phone to shut down or something? Anyways, unplugged the phone and had to start/stop the button again to get it to shut down normally.

I'm wondering now what other buggy behavior these do from time to time.

Dakota definitely doesn't do that.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Soup DeVille