Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

MX793

Quote from: FoMoJo on August 15, 2019, 02:23:16 PM
What car? 

It happened twice on a '51 Chevy my brothers and I were driving.

A lawn tractor, actually.  Thought I'd run over a rock or something in the grass.  Hit the kill switch and it wouldn't turn over again.

A friend's MR2 was on its way to that sound a few weeks ago at an AutoX.  Pretty bad rod bearing knock.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

cawimmer430

Love watching these old school German car tests. Amazing what they tested for in those days. How much side wind affects directional stability for example, or if the engine will stop working if the car drives through a "waterfall". Here a Mazda RX-7 is being tested.

Fun fact: the narrator's voice is the German voice for the CSI Las Vegas character Gil Grissom (all American TV shows here are dubbed).

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncAeLtg9ue4
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

AutobahnSHO

Speaking of side winds, when I first started college it was 100miles from home, 75mph interstate. Wyoming desert gets WINDY, and my little 79 Subaru wagon sometimes got carried half a lane with gusts. Kept the drive from getting boring.
Will

cawimmer430

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on August 20, 2019, 07:55:33 AM
Speaking of side winds, when I first started college it was 100miles from home, 75mph interstate. Wyoming desert gets WINDY, and my little 79 Subaru wagon sometimes got carried half a lane with gusts. Kept the drive from getting boring.

Sounds like you could use a RWD Ford Sierra instead of a FWD Taurus SHO! :lol:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP_p0uf_m2w

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

giant_mtb

Was driving home from my camping trip yesterday. Upcoming uphill grade on the highway. Jabronie in a diesel Chebby pulling a fifth wheel flatbed with ONE roll of hay on it decides to pull out in front of me (with some room, but come on)...he guns it, black smoke and all. ........the roll of hay isn't tied down whatsoever and tries to fall off the back immediately.......if it weren't for the fold-down trailer ramps, that would have been...an issue. 

Bet he felt like a dumbass.  Dunno how he was planning to move it back into position...can't imagine them big rolls is lightweight for one guy to move. lol

giant_mtb

SHIT. I probably have it on video on my dashcam! Unless it's already been written over. Dammit I should have marked that video.

r0tor

I saw an amazing feat of driving stupidity the other day...

Imagine multilane busy highway... offramp merging on the right from another busy highway... Genius decides to use offramp as a passing lane but then gets held up by someone trying to merge... so logically they pass that person on the shoulder and about a dozen more people on the shoulder before merging back onto the highway only to get off 500 feet later to turn into a shopping complex.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

FoMoJo

What a goofy looking Porsche.  Who would pay $20 million for this thing?

Nobody, it seems. :huh:
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

FoMoJo

When Porsches were beautiful...

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

cawimmer430

Quote from: FoMoJo on August 21, 2019, 08:30:36 AM
What a goofy looking Porsche.  Who would pay $20 million for this thing?

Nobody, it seems. :huh:

If memory serves me right it's historically significant because it was some kind of prototype. That's what's driving up the price. ;)

www.wimmerfotografie.de

12,000 RPM

I love karting, but I hate how it flips my insides out :cry:

I never would have made it in F1
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

FoMoJo

Quote from: cawimmer430 on August 21, 2019, 01:43:11 PM

If memory serves me right it's historically significant because it was some kind of prototype. That's what's driving up the price. ;)
A storied history, Porsche Type 64, but still very ugly.

RomanChariot

I went karting last night for the first time in about 10 years. It was a place with electric karts and it was great. There were about ten four-man teams from various companies competing. My team took second place overall. I will have to figure out a way to get out there more often.

r0tor

Hmm... I've never had an issue with Karting except once I parked one that had the air pressures all jacked up and it was bouncing violently every turn.

I did almost have issues at M School on the skid pas drift session right after lunch though  :mask:
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

12,000 RPM

Still hard for me to wrap my head around basically never using the brakes. That's def what killed me

r0tor

My local track you definitely need to use the brakes to be fast.. 45mph into a tight hairpin

FoMoJo

Quote from: r0tor on August 21, 2019, 03:28:00 PM
My local track you definitely need to use the brakes to be fast.. 45mph into a tight hairpin
Just toss it sideways to scrub the speed.

r0tor

I should add I'm in the 99.97 percentile at my local track :cheers:

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: r0tor on August 21, 2019, 03:37:34 PM
I should add I'm in the 99.97 percentile at my local track :cheers:

Me too. Wait, did you mean track, or gay strip club?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

r0tor

Eye of the Tiger

What are those, 1/4 mile times?

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on August 21, 2019, 03:28:00 PM
Just carry more speed through the corner  :lol:

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 21, 2019, 04:06:11 PM

Protip: if you can't go flat out through every corner, your tires are too small

RomanChariot

Quote from: r0tor on August 21, 2019, 03:44:59 PM
Seeeeeeeee

It looks like the track you go to is about 50% longer than the one I was at.

r0tor

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 21, 2019, 04:06:11 PM

Fast is neat and tidy... Not overcooking turns and trying to spin into a wall

Soup DeVille

Quote from: r0tor on August 21, 2019, 05:40:50 PM

slow is smooth

smooth is fast
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

FoMoJo

Quote from: r0tor on August 21, 2019, 05:40:50 PM
How fast do those carts go?

r0tor

Quote from: FoMoJo on August 21, 2019, 05:42:44 PM
How fast do those carts go?

The limiters are set at 45mph

Eye of the Tiger