Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

SJ_GTI

Interesting, yeah the A35 looks better than the A45 (because of the grill).

Raza

Quote from: Laconian on August 01, 2019, 10:16:11 AM
Tokyo at rush hour is a marvel. Super crowded, still moves fluidly.

Granted, I didn't travel by car a lot during rush hour, but these legendary Tokyo traffic jams weren't all jammed up to me.  I was in traffic, but it moved along very smoothly. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: MX793 on August 01, 2019, 02:23:45 PM
Considering my car doesn't have 80K on it and the interior is completely falling apart (and some of the exterior, though being a regular resident at the airport parking lot the past few months hasn't helped).  The glass on my passenger's wing mirror fell out a few weeks ago.  Like seemingly every other adhesive on the car, it just came unstuck.  Slapped it back on with some Gorilla glue.

Which is funny, because neither of my Volkswagens had a single problem like that. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

12,000 RPM

Mine either, but I've heard enough nightmare stories and driven enough VWs to know they're not worth the gamble (to me )
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

FoMoJo

Quote from: Laconian on August 01, 2019, 01:27:42 PM
We have two-lane roundabouts in the countryside and they work fine. There are big painted diagrams on the road indicating which exits can be accessed by the outer radius, and which exits can be accessed by the inner radius.
Speaking of roundabouts, this is the wrong way to approach them...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTk_kPeA63c
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

NomisR

Or the right way..

FoMoJo

Quote from: NomisR on August 02, 2019, 11:42:56 AM
Or the right way..
Taking the direct approach might save a bit of time...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=704vMj4GVx0

This guy could've made it if his wheels didn't fly off.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

HurricaneSteve

MX's might have been a one off but to me it's telling that of all of the dealerships here who offer free long term (or lifetime) powertrain warranties, none of them include VW's.

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 02, 2019, 07:00:42 AM
Mine either, but I've heard enough nightmare stories and driven enough VWs to know they're not worth the gamble (to me )

MX793

Quote from: HurricaneSteve on August 02, 2019, 12:08:00 PM
MX's might have been a one off but to me it's telling that of all of the dealerships here who offer free long term (or lifetime) powertrain warranties, none of them include VW's.

I've heard of others with similar issues to mine on the web.  Sagging headliners seem to be common, as I passed a Jetta the other day with the headliner flapping in the wind.  My brother mentioned one of his coworkers had a Jetta with a sagging headliner as well.

Powertrain on mine seems to be the one thing that's been solid.  It's completely mediocre in most respects and gets poor fuel economy, but it's been reliable.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

veeman

Even Hyundai/Kia's stellar warranty isn't that stellar.  The Bumper to Bumper (which would cover a headliner or side mirror glue) is 5 years/60,000 miles.  The powertrain is the one which is 10 years/100,000 miles. Also this is only for a first owner.  The long powertrain warranty does not transfer to a second owner who only gets a reduced 5 year/60,000 miles powertrain warranty. DVD, navigation, bluetooth is only 3 years/36,000 miles and importantly paint is 3 years/36,000 miles.  In the past (i'm not sure currently) Hyundai/Kia was known for crappy paint and rust protection.  I think that was in the past though.

The VW Bumper to Bumper warranty was the longest of any in the US being 6 years/72,000 miles but the curtail still is quite generous matching the current Hyundai/Kia one.  Their powertrain warranty is not as good as Hyundai/Kia.

veeman

Also interestingly in Canada the Hyundai/Kia powertrain warranty is only 5 years/100,000 km.

Eye of the Tiger

Doesn't matter. Hyundai is good car.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

NomisR

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: NomisR on August 02, 2019, 05:15:36 PM
like Isuzus?

Isuzus are excellent car. American consumer stupidity killed them.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

FoMoJo

Wonder if someone paid est. retail ($59.000) for this mess...https://www.copart.com/lot/47786208

AutobahnSHO

Haha co-workers Golf the door handle junk all just fell apart when she went to go home. She tied it with some tie rope to keep it closed, she couldn't wait two hours for tow truck.
Will

CaminoRacer

How old is the car?
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 04, 2019, 10:17:07 AM
How old is the car?

I'm assuming pretty new but I'll ask. She's on vacation this week.
Will

12,000 RPM

The 2L turbo 4 is a fucking scam boys

Pulling off the highway to the local roads headed home

In my driveway

We've been bamboozled. Same trip was a good 7-9 MPG worse in the Optima, with FWD. God bless the ZF9 (outside of the 2-3 shift)

MrH

Is that an Acura I spy?
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Galaxy

Quote from: MX793 on August 01, 2019, 02:23:45 PM
Considering my car doesn't have 80K on it and the interior is completely falling apart (and some of the exterior, though being a regular resident at the airport parking lot the past few months hasn't helped).  The glass on my passenger's wing mirror fell out a few weeks ago.  Like seemingly every other adhesive on the car, it just came unstuck.  Slapped it back on with some Gorilla glue.

Somewhat on topic, the extended test drive 2013 Golf 7 that the German car magazine Autobild used just died at 287,147km (178,424 miles) due to a broken piston skirt (a second one showed tears, apparently the material used was to thin) and it became uneconomical to repair the car. The AC flooded the interior at 37,000km, the DSG lasted 153,772km and the Golf started guzzling oil (70L in total) at 220,000km.

They also have a 2013 last generation A class that is currently at 303,166km (188,300 miles) the only thing broken so far was a thermostat. Besides that the only unscheduled pit stops were for an alignment issue, and brake pads. Perhaps Benz has their issues resolved. 

cawimmer430

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 05, 2019, 02:39:03 PM

Were you driving with the turbo in turbo boost? I've noticed that my 2.0 Turbo-4 gets pretty good mileage as long as I generally stay out of turbo boost. On long trips on country roads (100 km/h) with some traffic and A/C turned on I can attain 6.3 L / 100 km (37.3 mpg), on the highway in mixed driving (A/C turned on) I'm getting absolut 7.4 L / 100 km (31.7 mpg).

Cold engine and cold oil in the city shows a horrifying 12 L / 100 km (19.5 mpg), which thankfully improves as soon their optimal operating temperatures are reached.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

2o6

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 05, 2019, 02:39:03 PM

In my driveway

We've been bamboozled. Same trip was a good 7-9 MPG worse in the Optima, with FWD. God bless the ZF9 (outside of the 2-3 shift)

I don't want to disappoint you, but the Optima is a shitty car and Hyundai has been under-delivering on MPG and performance on their Turbo motors of that era. The 2.0T GDI in your car, is basically the same 2.0L(but with a turbo) I had in my rental Tuscon a few weeks ago - and in the Elantra with a manual it gets the fuel economy of a light truck.

A 2.0T VW, GM, or Honda would likely do better than the MPG you get.

MX793

I had an Elantra rental last week.  Not sure which motor it had (I'm guessing probably the 1.6).  Averaged over 40 mpg on the highway.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

2o6

Quote from: MX793 on August 05, 2019, 06:39:00 PM
I had an Elantra rental last week.  Not sure which motor it had (I'm guessing probably the 1.6).  Averaged over 40 mpg on the highway.

You can't get a 1.6L Elantra. Either the 1.4T "Eco", or the 2.0L. I think it's had some revisions from when it started showing up a few years ago.

The Tuscon did get 30MPG if I babied it, which I guess wasn't so bad. It was not quick by any form of the imagination, though.

12,000 RPM

I don't disagree too much, but I think a big part of it is gearing. Optima's tallest gear after final drive is 31% shorter than the TLX's. TLX does 1800 at 80-85; Optima does 2400 or so. That + VCM + 2 pts more compression seems to make a huge difference even with SH-AWD

2o6

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 05, 2019, 06:43:47 PM
I don't disagree too much, but I think a big part of it is gearing. Optima's tallest gear after final drive is 31% shorter than the TLX's. TLX does 1800 at 80-85; Optima does 2400 or so. That + VCM + 2 pts more compression seems to make a huge difference even with SH-AWD

I'm really iffy with Hyundai. I feel like maybe this latest crop of products are impressive, but I feel like some of their cars from even a generation and a half ago feel kind of half-baked. I keep hearing about oil and rod bearing issues on that GEMA 2.4L GDI in the Sonata/Optima. I've heard of the original Veloster turbo also having connecting rod issues, too.

It's part of the reason I avoid Hyundais when I flip cars. A replacement GDI 1.8L or 2.4L for an Elantra, Sonata, or Optima is usually $1800 or more. That points to them all being fucking junk.

12,000 RPM

They did a good job at mastering the superficial stuff. The interior and exterior of the Optima look and feel expensive. But the first time I saw the suspension when I did a brake job I was like "o this is a fucking economy car, they got me". All the mechanicals are like that

And both the 2.0T and 2.4 have huge crazy "metal chunks might fall off into your oil pan" recalls. I think when they try they do OK... I test drove an old Genesis and came away super impressed.... but again that's where they shine. But that felt really luxurious

Never again though, as tempting as a Sorento is to replace the MKX

MX793

Quote from: 2o6 on August 05, 2019, 06:42:45 PM

You can't get a 1.6L Elantra. Either the 1.4T "Eco", or the 2.0L. I think it's had some revisions from when it started showing up a few years ago.

The Tuscon did get 30MPG if I babied it, which I guess wasn't so bad. It was not quick by any form of the imagination, though.

I think mine was a year or two old.  It definitely had a 6AT, so it wasn't the turbo.  Felt pretty gutless, but if they dropped the 1.6 then it must have been the 2.0.  Either way, I averaged over 40mpg on the highway over a 700 mile round trip.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2o6

Quote from: MX793 on August 05, 2019, 07:39:46 PM
I think mine was a year or two old.  It definitely had a 6AT, so it wasn't the turbo.  Felt pretty gutless, but if they dropped the 1.6 then it must have been the 2.0.  Either way, I averaged over 40mpg on the highway over a 700 mile round trip.

I don't think you could ever get a 1.6L Elantra in the USA. You could get a 1.8L tho