Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

FoMoJo

Quote from: r0tor on August 21, 2019, 05:45:09 PM
The limiters are set at 45mph
Does the engine have enough torque to let you brake then power through/out of a corner and get up to speed quick?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

BimmerM3

I like the karts where the brake is only on one wheel, so you can use it to help rotate the kart around really tight hairpins as long as they're going the right way.

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

r0tor

Quote from: FoMoJo on August 21, 2019, 05:54:58 PM
Does the engine have enough torque to let you brake then power through/out of a corner and get up to speed quick?

Depends on technique.  They have centrifugal clutches so if you are good you can spin them coming off the turn, if you are bad it just bogs down
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

r0tor

Quote from: FoMoJo on August 21, 2019, 08:30:36 AM
What a goofy looking Porsche.  Who would pay $20 million for this thing?

Nobody, it seems. :huh:

It's really a priceless piece of history
https://youtu.be/HaDWPBco07w

cawimmer430

Bought this book about Erotic Swabian Art today at the Audi Museum in Ingolstadt (stay tuned for some detailed snapshots of some cool new cars they had there!!!).  :lol:

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

MX793

Were the "pickups" for the Aussie market?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

cawimmer430

Quote from: MX793 on August 22, 2019, 02:18:34 PM
Were the "pickups" for the Aussie market?

Nope. They were exclusively made for the Argentinian market and were locally made in a Mercedes factory there. The only engine available was the 2.2-l 4-cylinder diesel with 60-horsepower.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

www.wimmerfotografie.de

MX793

Quote from: cawimmer430 on August 22, 2019, 02:23:32 PM
Nope. They were exclusively made for the Argentinian market and were locally made in a Mercedes factory there. The only engine available was the 2.2-l 4-cylinder diesel with 60-horsepower.

I could see that, as well.  Smaller, car-based "trucks" had a following in Latin America as well.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

cawimmer430

Quote from: MX793 on August 22, 2019, 02:35:30 PM
I could see that, as well.  Smaller, car-based "trucks" had a following in Latin America as well.

Yep. There's actually a lot of Mercedes-Benz commercial vehicle history from South America that is unknown to me. They had locally-produced versions of the infamous "Kurzhauber" trucks for example, which looked like this in Europe and elsewhere (the model below is an early model).

They produced it locally and turned it into a bus. Kurzhaubers were never used as buses here.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

AutobahnSHO

hahaha I rode on a few of those buses 1994-1996. Got rare towards the end though.
Will

cawimmer430

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on August 22, 2019, 07:41:48 PM
hahaha I rode on a few of those buses 1994-1996. Got rare towards the end though.

Saw a documentary about older Mercedes' and there's a truck driver in Brazil whose "Kurzhauber" has over 3.8 million kilometers behind it. He still uses it to this day! Incredible.

Now this is funky! :lol:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6F36nsI6ssM

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Really gotta try this sometime.  :ohyeah:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: FoMoJo on August 24, 2019, 02:59:44 PM
Ultimate Sleeper

1963 Ford 300 427 R-code

But red is fast. It needs to be beige and a wagon.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on August 24, 2019, 03:34:07 PM
But red is fast. It needs to be beige and a wagon.
Does that look fast to you.  Four doors and painted wheels, though I think those tires would last about 1 burnout.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: FoMoJo on August 24, 2019, 03:48:56 PM
Does that look fast to you.  Four doors and painted wheels, though I think those tires would last about 1 burnout.

Yeah, it looks fast. I bet there is a 427 under that hood. :lol:

FoMoJo

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on August 24, 2019, 03:55:44 PM
Yeah, it looks fast. I bet there is a 427 under that hood. :lol:
Well, it is a Ford after all, but it looks almost like a Granny car.

Love to have something with a 427 R-code engine.

Galaxy

This has to be one of the most hilarious car defect I have seen.

https://youtu.be/2ys3bEvNorQ?t=294

cawimmer430

Quote from: Galaxy on August 25, 2019, 12:02:02 AM
This has to be one of the most hilarious car defect I have seen.

https://youtu.be/2ys3bEvNorQ?t=294

I find Hoovies channel so boring. It's always the same tactic.

"I bought the cheapest __________ in the country! Let's find out what's broken on it!"

Gets old after awhile.  :tounge:

Also, he needs to stop buying severely abused cars. It's clear to me that the previous second or third or fourth owners bought the cars cheaply, perhaps even modified them and weren't big on maintenance. I'd avoid such cars like the plague.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Priscilla at the Max-Josef-Platz in downtown Munich, 8 PM. :wub:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

MexicoCityM3

I have BMW Mexico's press M850i for the day. Will report later.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

cawimmer430

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on August 25, 2019, 01:00:05 PM
I have BMW Mexico's press M850i for the day. Will report later.

Don't crash it.  :devil:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Galaxy

Quote from: cawimmer430 on August 25, 2019, 04:43:52 AM

I find Hoovies channel so boring. It's always the same tactic.

"I bought the cheapest __________ in the country! Let's find out what's broken on it!"

Gets old after awhile.  :tounge:

Also, he needs to stop buying severely abused cars. It's clear to me that the previous second or third or fourth owners bought the cars cheaply, perhaps even modified them and weren't big on maintenance. I'd avoid such cars like the plague.

Well that is sorta the theme of his channel, even if it is to some extent a facade. Doug Demuro sorta called him out on it on one of their cross overs that he has a $90,000 Denali. Tyler made the distinction that that vehicle is leased through his families Taco Bell empire, which I think is still his day job.

The SL however is his grandmas old vehicle.   

12,000 RPM

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

shp4man

Quote from: cawimmer430 on August 25, 2019, 01:00:05 PM
Priscilla at the Max-Josef-Platz in downtown Munich, 8 PM. :wub:

Wimmer, did you name that car after Priscilla Presley? Just curious.  ;)

cawimmer430

Amazing.  :wub:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cw70cJmOxs

www.wimmerfotografie.de

MX793

Visited a gem of a classic car museum that's squirreled away in an out-of-the-way little town.  I've known about it for a while and have heard numerous friends and family rave over the place, so it's been on my "to do" list to visit for a while.  Did not disappoint.  Quite a few cars, many of them very rare.  Mostly pre-WWII stuff, but they had a sampling of 1950s, '60s, and '70s stuff.  Almost exclusively American makes (I counted 4 foreign-made cars and a couple of foreign motorcycles).  Also an emphasis on cars tied to the Upstate NY region, which was actually home to several early auto manufacturers as well as a major GM production facility in Buffalo.  There was an entire room/wing dedicated to Franklin Motors, which was a Syracuse-based luxury car maker in the early 1900s that folded in the mid 1930s during the Depression.  They were noteworthy for being on the cutting edge for their day.  Leaders in air-cooled engines.  First to develop a 6-cylinder engine.  First to use an auto-advancing ignition.  Extensive use of aluminum in their cars, which gave them superior power/weight compared to contemporaries like Cadillac.  After they went bust, their engine division continued on for another 40 years, producing aircraft engines.  The flat 6 in the Tucker 48 was actually a Franklin engine, converted to water cooling (Tucker bought Franklin Engine Co in '47).  Also a few rare Pierce-Arrows (Buffalo-based luxury car maker that folded during the Depression).

A few standouts that caught my eye (I've really grown to appreciate the art deco styling of the 1930s and 40s).

1938 Graham Model 97 Supercharged "Sharknose"

The blue car in the background is a Chrysler C-17 Airflow

1936 Pierce-Arrow Roadster, one of only a handful of survivors and one of the last the company produced

This one-of-a-kind custom motorcycle, based on a 1930 Henderson KJ, built in 1936 by a guy who worked in GM's design department.  The bodywork is all metal.

They also had a room with a bunch of WWII aircraft engines, including some cool cutaways.

R-3350 18-cylinder Turbocharged from a B-29

R-1830 14-cylinder cut-away

And a couple of classic Porsches in the same room as the aircraft engines for some reason (some Franklin aircraft engines in the background)

Needs more Jiggawatts