Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Speed_Racer on December 13, 2019, 05:27:52 PM
Apparently we've jumped past buttons/levers and into auto-dimming high beams, I've yet to drive a car w/ that feature so no idea how effective it is

It was a thing on my '75 Eldo (which Doug failed to mention entirely), that also had the foot hi-beam switch.

Modern ones work pretty seamlessly, the older ones had sensitivity dial that the new ones need though.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

CaminoRacer

The El Camino's floor switch is finicky and I have to stomp the shit out of it to get it to activate sometimes.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Laconian

Quote from: Speed_Racer on December 13, 2019, 05:27:52 PM
Apparently we've jumped past buttons/levers and into auto-dimming high beams, I've yet to drive a car w/ that feature so no idea how effective it is

The auto high beams on my Miata are overly conservative. It can't tell the difference between street lights and oncoming traffic, so it dims the beams for everything.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

CaminoRacer

I've noticed SO MANY people with their high beams on the past year or two. Last night I was on the freeway and some idiot came up behind me with their brights on. I was only going 68 in a 70 so I was hoping they'd pass me quickly. Nope. So I started reducing my speed by 1 mph every 30 seconds or so. Got all the way down to 61-62 before she changed lanes. But she went right and then got off at the next exit, so I don't think she even changed lanes because I was going slow. Just totally oblivious to everything around her.

Laconian

Yes. Also German cars with their fogs on. That fog taillight is like a laser aimed right at your retinas.

I wish cops would enforce the goddamn rules of the road that matter, rather than just camping out and writing tickets :banghead:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Laconian on December 14, 2019, 01:09:04 PM
The auto high beams on my Miata are overly conservative. It can't tell the difference between street lights and oncoming traffic, so it dims the beams for everything.

I would argue that if you have street lights, you don't need high beams; but again, there used to be sensitivity dials on them.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 14, 2019, 01:53:27 PM
I would argue that if you have street lights, you don't need high beams; but again, there used to be sensitivity dials on them.

Some dark, rural roads have a street lamp or two at intersections and stuff.

Laconian

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 14, 2019, 02:00:45 PM
Some dark, rural roads have a street lamp or two at intersections and stuff.

Yup! I don't want to hit deer in between those lights.

r0tor

Quote from: Laconian on December 14, 2019, 01:16:50 PM
Yes. Also German cars with their fogs on. That fog taillight is like a laser aimed right at your retinas.

I wish cops would enforce the goddamn rules of the road that matter, rather than just camping out and writing tickets :banghead:

I use them as revenge on tailgaters
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

FoMoJo

I've come to the conclusion that the design of this car is perfect...This 1958 Porsche 356A Speedster has an incredible story to tell

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

giant_mtb

Quote from: FoMoJo on December 15, 2019, 07:52:47 AM
Is this what we've come to, too lazy to push a button? :lol:

Silverados don't have a button for it.  Regardless, I can't stand auto stop/start, so it would be ideal to have a way to totally disable it without needing to think about it every time I start the vehicle.

CaminoRacer

I don't get the hate for it?

FoMoJo

MX793

Quote from: CaminoRacer on December 15, 2019, 11:41:24 AM
I don't get the hate for it?

I find it unsettling, but mostly because I'm unaccustomed to it.  I was raised around motor vehicles.  Was taught to pay attention to the sound and character of an engine and how it's behaving as an indicator that something is wrong.  I could tell if an engine is running rich or lean by sound and responsiveness.  Pick up on a misfire based on vibration and sound.  Listen for abnormal or unsteady idle.
So when my engine suddenly stops running when I come to a stop without my turning off the ignition, all of my past training throws up alarms that there is something wrong with the engine.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Speed_Racer

I wish my car had auto stop/start. I hate the idea of burning fuel while going nowhere.
Unfortunately when I shut of my car manually, it disconnects bluetooth and shuts off my dashcam, etc.

FoMoJo

Quote from: MX793 on December 15, 2019, 12:48:15 PM
I find it unsettling, but mostly because I'm unaccustomed to it.  I was raised around motor vehicles.  Was taught to pay attention to the sound and character of an engine and how it's behaving as an indicator that something is wrong.  I could tell if an engine is running rich or lean by sound and responsiveness.  Pick up on a misfire based on vibration and sound.  Listen for abnormal or unsteady idle.
So when my engine suddenly stops running when I come to a stop without my turning off the ignition, all of my past training throws up alarms that there is something wrong with the engine.
That was my initial reaction when I picked up our latest vehicle.  Driving from the dealership at the first stoplight I thought it stalled.  When I realized that it was the stop-start feature, I pushed the button to turn it off.  I got in the habit of, when first starting it, I would automatically push the button to deactivate the start-stop...I pushed 2 buttons instead of one.  Lately, I thought I'd let the feature stay on, but when I didn't deactivate it, I found that the engine no longer stopped when the vehicle stopped.  Either it was broken or one of the many parameters that determine when it should stop was not being met.  I figure it was the battery as we are seldom out on the highway and the battery never really reaches the state of charge required for the start-stop feature to activate.

Soup DeVille

I've tried to get used to it and mostly have, but the sound of vehicles starting in traffic still makes me think something has gone wrong.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: FoMoJo on December 15, 2019, 01:01:58 PM
That was my initial reaction when I picked up our latest vehicle.  Driving from the dealership at the first stoplight I thought it stalled.  When I realized that it was the stop-start feature, I pushed the button to turn it off.  I got in the habit of, when first starting it, I would automatically push the button to deactivate the start-stop...I pushed 2 buttons instead of one.  Lately, I thought I'd let the feature stay on, but when I didn't deactivate it, I found that the engine no longer stopped when the vehicle stopped.  Either it was broken or one of the many parameters that determine when it should stop was not being met.  I figure it was the battery as we are seldom out on the highway and the battery never really reaches the state of charge required for the start-stop feature to activate.

Battery, engine temperature- even the setting for the climate control can effect it. I really wish it would also deactivate when you're stopped on an incline- maybe some do- but on the Durango, it will momentarily roll backwards before the engine starts.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Speed_Racer on December 15, 2019, 01:00:15 PM
I wish my car had auto stop/start. I hate the idea of burning fuel while going nowhere.
Unfortunately when I shut of my car manually, it disconnects bluetooth and shuts off my dashcam, etc.

The El Camino could really use it. Gets bad enough fuel mileage when it's moving. :lol:

afty

I've had it on rentals and also don't like it. I especially hate when it shuts the engine off immediately before I hit the accelerator. I had one that would stop the engine when you were parking, then inexplicably turn it back on when you shift into park.

Laconian

The M-B stop/start system has no latency at all, and the cranking sound just sounds so chintzy with little turbo fours.

MX793

Quote from: afty on December 15, 2019, 01:46:01 PM
I've had it on rentals and also don't like it. I especially hate when it shuts the engine off immediately before I hit the accelerator. I had one that would stop the engine when you were parking, then inexplicably turn it back on when you shift into park.

Turning the engine back on when shifting into park is actually a good idea and likely a safety feature.  I could see someone pulling into their garage, the auto stop shutting the engine off, and then forgetting to actually turn the car off because the engine isn't running.  The the car later starts as the battery runs low and fills the garage with carbon monoxide.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Morris Minor

Quote from: Laconian on December 15, 2019, 01:57:36 PM
The M-B stop/start system has no latency at all, and the cranking sound just sounds so chintzy with little turbo fours.
We had an C-class loaner a while back. The hugely irritating stop-start thing was enough put it on my do-not-consider list.
"What the fuck's the matter with this thing?"
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CaminoRacer on December 14, 2019, 01:13:36 PM
I've noticed SO MANY people with their high beams on the past year or two. Last night I was on the freeway and some idiot came up behind me with their brights on. I was only going 68 in a 70 so I was hoping they'd pass me quickly. Nope. So I started reducing my speed by 1 mph every 30 seconds or so. Got all the way down to 61-62 before she changed lanes. But she went right and then got off at the next exit, so I don't think she even changed lanes because I was going slow. Just totally oblivious to everything around her.

People are dumb as FUCK. :rockon:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

dazzleman

Quote from: Morris Minor on December 15, 2019, 04:17:01 PM
We had an C-class loaner a while back. The hugely irritating stop-start thing was enough put it on my do-not-consider list.
"What the fuck's the matter with this thing?"

Couldn't you disable it?  I did that with my A6.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MX793 on December 15, 2019, 02:07:56 PM
Turning the engine back on when shifting into park is actually a good idea and likely a safety feature.  I could see someone pulling into their garage, the auto stop shutting the engine off, and then forgetting to actually turn the car off because the engine isn't running.  The the car later starts as the battery runs low and fills the garage with carbon monoxide.

I'm actually somewhat concerned about allowing the engine to run without the presence of the ignition key; even way back when remote start became available, it made me nervous. I like the idea of having a crystal clear on or off. I like knowing that when my key is in my pocket and my hand putting is on the alternator belt that the engine can't turn on.

I'm probably just being old and crusty though.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 15, 2019, 06:32:31 PM
I'm actually somewhat concerned about allowing the engine to run without the presence of the ignition key; even way back when remote start became available, it made me nervous. I like the idea of having a crystal clear on or off. I like knowing that when my key is in my pocket and my hand putting is on the alternator belt that the engine can't turn on.

I'm probably just being old and crusty though.
Shouldn't you be having the battery disconnected when working on, especially, the engine.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: FoMoJo on December 15, 2019, 06:48:31 PM
Shouldn't you be having the battery disconnected when working on, especially, the engine.

Technically, yes.