Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

afty

Quote from: MX793 on December 15, 2019, 02:07:56 PM
Turning the engine back on when shifting into park is actually a good idea and likely a safety feature.  I could see someone pulling into their garage, the auto stop shutting the engine off, and then forgetting to actually turn the car off because the engine isn't running.  The the car later starts as the battery runs low and fills the garage with carbon monoxide.
Good point, hadn't thought of that.

cawimmer430

So Priscilla has her first scheduled service today, basically an oil and filter change and overall checkup. It's 20 days overdue because all of the Mercedes-Benz dealerships in Munich were overbooked.

Anyway, what's really cool is that through the MercedesMe app I have a live video feed of the mechanics working on my car. How cool is that!? They call it VISIBLE WORKSHOP.

Seriously, this feature is pretty neat. I wonder if this will be available in the US as well - no more illegal joy drives! Haha  :lol:

Oh, and I have a pretty neat loaner for the day. Expect pics and a review!  :ohyeah:

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

FoMoJo

Quote from: cawimmer430 on December 16, 2019, 06:10:30 AM
So Priscilla has her first scheduled service today, basically an oil and filter change and overall checkup. It's 20 days overdue because all of the Mercedes-Benz dealerships in Munich were overbooked.

How much does a basic service cost for your Mercedes?  I ask only because the basic service on my Discovery costs an astonishing amount at the Jaguar Land Rover dealer over here.

My first service was free, but the 2nd one cost about $800 cdn. for a basic oil, filter and checking a whole list of stuff.  The 3rd one cost about $400 cdn. because I told them I only wanted oil, filter and check the tires.  At a normal shop, that would cost about $60 cdn.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

cawimmer430

Quote from: FoMoJo on December 16, 2019, 07:30:38 AM
How much does a basic service cost for your Mercedes?  I ask only because the basic service on my Discovery costs an astonishing amount at the Jaguar Land Rover dealer over here.

My first service was free, but the 2nd one cost about $800 cdn. for a basic oil, filter and checking a whole list of stuff.  The 3rd one cost about $400 cdn. because I told them I only wanted oil, filter and check the tires.  At a normal shop, that would cost about $60 cdn.

The service for my A250 was a little more expensive than what I paid for the BMW, but it wasn't that bad.

Today I paid 426,44 Euros  ($475.14 US at current exchange rate) for the service (of which 49,- Euros were for the rental car) and they:

1) Changed the oil
2) Changed the oil filter
3) Changed the air filter
4) Filled up the washer fluid
5) Updated my MBUX system software
6) Cleaned the inside of my front windshield (I requested this as they have the proper chemicals, rags etc.)

I also got a free car wash. So overall, it wasn't too bad. The car is so much fun and brings a smile to my face every time I drive it, so the maintenance cost at the dealer is also worth it to me.  :ohyeah:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

CALL_911

Lol what, you paid almost $500 for an oil change and cabin filter replacement?

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

giant_mtb

cawimmer430

Quote from: CALL_911 on December 16, 2019, 09:53:41 AM
Lol what, you paid almost $500 for an oil change and cabin filter replacement?

Don't forget their per hourly working rate cost. The car received their Service A which has a fixed cost rate of 168.80 Euros. Then you have all the other details which drive up the price.

And in the end the 426.44 is the final result after a generous 19% VAT.

Honestly, it wasn't too bad, especially because I also got to drive a funky new rental car (review coming up) for 49,- Euros.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

MrH

:wtf: We have 2 people on this forum paying over $500 for an oil change?!?!
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Laconian

Stealerships, living up to their name!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

FoMoJo

Quote from: MrH on December 16, 2019, 11:08:35 AM
:wtf: We have 2 people on this forum paying over $500 for an oil change?!?!
High end dealerships are a rip off.  Going to stick with an old reliable for our next vehicle.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

MrH

Quote from: Laconian on December 16, 2019, 11:20:21 AM
Stealerships, living up to their name!

We have two people that post on car forums all day subjecting themselves to these ridiculous prices.  At this point, I say good for the dealerships :lol:

Quote from: FoMoJo on December 16, 2019, 11:48:54 AM
High end dealerships are a rip off.  Going to stick with an old reliable for our next vehicle.

Your next vehicle?!  Why did you pay it the first time? And why are you going to continue to pay for it for this car?  Just take it to an independent, this is crazy.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

FoMoJo

Quote from: MrH on December 16, 2019, 11:55:12 AM
Your next vehicle?!  Why did you pay it the first time? And why are you going to continue to pay for it for this car?  Just take it to an independent, this is crazy.
We have less than 6 months left on the lease and no more service; service was just once a year and the first one was free so, overall, it wasn't too bad for 3 and a half years of lease.  Next car will be domestic and we'll buy it.

2o6

Every time I've talked about how German cars are very expensive to maintain, y'all would chime in about some bullshit about how it's not that bad when y'all pay out the ass for a basic oil change.

Having worked at a BMW dealer, a basic oil change and filter could come up to be around $150+.

I get my oil changed every 8-9 weeks because of how much I drive. A cartridge filter online is $2.76, and oil is around $18.

Even if I took it to the GM dealer, I've never paid more than $50 for a full synthetic oil change, and that includes them topping up all fluids.

Laconian

Quote from: FoMoJo on December 16, 2019, 12:07:15 PM
We have less than 6 months left on the lease and no more service; service was just once a year and the first one was free so, overall, it wasn't too bad for 3 and a half years of lease.  Next car will be domestic and we'll buy it.

C8 Corvette!

FoMoJo

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Raza

Quote from: cawimmer430 on November 26, 2019, 12:35:20 PM
Holy crap! An A200 AMG Line Edition 1 (used car) with a 6-speed manual. Good luck selling that one!!! A manual looks so out of place in that futuristic interior!

Want.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

r0tor

Quote from: 2o6 on December 16, 2019, 12:18:17 PM
Every time I've talked about how German cars are very expensive to maintain, y'all would chime in about some bullshit about how it's not that bad when y'all pay out the ass for a basic oil change.

Having worked at a BMW dealer, a basic oil change and filter could come up to be around $150+.

I get my oil changed every 8-9 weeks because of how much I drive. A cartridge filter online is $2.76, and oil is around $18.

Even if I took it to the GM dealer, I've never paid more than $50 for a full synthetic oil change, and that includes them topping up all fluids.

A full synthetic change at my Jeep dealer is $120... Which is the same for the Alfa since its the same place

A $150 oil change at the local BMW dealer includes a loaner for the day or they will pick up your car and drop it back off for you
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

2o6

Once again, who the fuck started all this weirdass online vitriol for torsion beam axles?  If I see "IRS" one more damn time in an article, I'm going to scream. No one cared 24 months ago.

Laconian

Quote from: 2o6 on December 16, 2019, 06:04:56 PM
Once again, who the fuck started all this weirdass online vitriol for torsion beam axles?  If I see "IRS" one more damn time in an article, I'm going to scream. No one cared 24 months ago.

You don't remember the bitching when the 7th gen Civic came out?

MX793

Quote from: Laconian on December 16, 2019, 06:16:51 PM

7th gen didn't have a torsion beam.  The hubbub was Honda changing the front suspension from double wishbone to MacPherson struts.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

2o6

Quote from: Laconian on December 16, 2019, 06:16:51 PM

None of the US market Civics had a torsion beam. Only the 8th and 9th gen Hatchbacks which we never got. Also, Europe didn't care. Also the 7th gen's bellyaching was more due to the poor tuning. The 8th gen uses the same setup (roughly) but the 8th gen drives pretty well, whereas the 7th doesn't.

Morris Minor

We had a Gen 6 - it was delight. And IIRC it was a bit less delightful after we replaced the steelies with some too-heavy after market rims.
Looked good though.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

MrH

My brother had a 6th gen in high school.  I loved driving it.  Gas pedal was a tad touchy, and it was slow, but drove pretty well and looked great.

It had a moonroof and a CD changer in the trunk.  Those were both extravagant luxury items at that time :lol:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Morris Minor

Quote from: MrH on December 17, 2019, 06:56:44 AM
My brother had a 6th gen in high school.  I loved driving it.  Gas pedal was a tad touchy, and it was slow, but drove pretty well and looked great.

It had a moonroof and a CD changer in the trunk.  Those were both extravagant luxury items at that time :lol:
Such decadent fripperies. The one we had was manual shift. We got it after my son had passed his driving test. I taught him how to drive manual - channeling  all the formal lessons I'd had in the UK. It was rough going.
It's the only time I saw him fully and completely lose his temper: cursing, thumping the dash, yelling.
So I got out of the car and told him to go out without me around... remove the stress of a parent. A week later he was perfect.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Soup DeVille

Quote from: cawimmer430 on December 16, 2019, 10:05:16 AM
Don't forget their per hourly working rate cost. The car received their Service A which has a fixed cost rate of 168.80 Euros. Then you have all the other details which drive up the price.

And in the end the 426.44 is the final result after a generous 19% VAT.

Honestly, it wasn't too bad, especially because I also got to drive a funky new rental car (review coming up) for 49,- Euros.

How much without the half-a-windshield cleaning?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

cawimmer430

This is Europe - shit is expensive over here.

I know what I was getting into when I bought this car, that dealership servicing is going to be pricey. The cost for the filters and oil was acceptable, but it's the labor costs which drive up the price. The price also included 49,- Euros for the rental CLA180, which I drove around for almost 250 km and had fun with.

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 17, 2019, 12:30:31 PM
How much without the half-a-windshield cleaning?

That was free.  :lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

FoMoJo

Soup DeVille

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

FoMoJo

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 17, 2019, 02:45:29 PM
Why do I not believe either "cigarette" or "air freshener" here.
What seems amazing is that "the driver sustained minor injuries."  Presuming he was inside the car at the time of the explosion, whether from air fresher or some other fuel, that he survived seems incredible.