Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

CaminoRacer

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 11, 2018, 02:24:35 PM
That's the wheel hub he's cleaning. That's good practice.  That rust buildup can glue wheels to hubs pretty solid.  The donkey kick is a technique I learned from a seasoned tire tech to break free stuck wheels.

Yup. When I did the brakes on the Mazda, I cleaned the hubs and put anti-seize on them before putting the wheels back on.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

CaminoRacer

Quote from: SJ_GTI on April 11, 2018, 02:21:52 PM
I do mine myself. IME car shops tend to over torque lug nuts and scratch the finish on the wheels. Its pretty easy to do if you aren't in a rush.

Pisses me off when a shop scratches brand new wheels because they're too careless to control the socket. I just bring the El Camino wheels to them now instead of letting them touch the car & install the wheels.

Galaxy

The Golf gets a VR6 again, for the next R. I guess since it has been MQBd anyways for the US market, they might as well.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Galaxy on April 17, 2018, 09:09:06 AM
The Golf gets a VR6 again, for the next R. I guess then it has been MQBd anyways for the US market, they might as well.

:wub:

12,000 RPM

Bro that could change everything.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

2o6

VR6, mild hybrid, automatic.

12,000 RPM

As long as there is a VR6. Preferably naturally aspirated :wub:

SJ_GTI

My brother's Impreza came in so I went with him to Subaru's HQ yesterday evening so he could bring both cars back home (his current car and the Impreza). I was checking out a bunch of the cars there while he was taking stuff out of his old car and putting in to his Impreza. They had A LOT of STI's there. This lot was mainly for cars going to employees but all of the STI's still had factory MSRP stickers on them. Most of the other cars didn't have the factory MSPR stickers but just notices for which employee that car was going to. I was surprised because the STI's there were all in the 49-51k range. I didn't even realize STI's got that expensive. They had a few WRX's there as well, and I actually like the slightly toned down look (vs the STI) of those better in person.

I drove my brother's new Impreza back to his house (he drove his old car), so I got about an hour's seat time in it in a mix of city traffic and then highway. It actually drives really nice, power feels decent for only being 155hp. The CVT actually does really well on its own but if you want to use "gears" the paddle shifters were very responsive. Shifting was immediate and not at all delayed. It had six "faux gears" when using the manual shift option.

The interior is nice. On par with my Golf R for sure. The seats in the Golf R are really the only thing that stood out as being way better, but I would assume the WRX or STI seats would be closer to the Golf R seats than the normal seats in his Impreza. My brother uses an android phone that he hooked up right away. I didn't think to bring a lightning connector so I wasn't able try carplay (but I presume it would be the same as any other car). Bluetooth connectivity worked well on my phone though FWIW.

The AWD system feels legit. There is even a display on the secondary screen that will show you how the system is shifting around power (so I presume it is an electronically controlled system and not just a simple mechanical type). Unless the screen was lying the default setting seemed to be 25% power to each wheel.

Compared to the Crosstrek (that my mom just got) I thought the Impreza was the better vehicle. Felt like it had just as much room inside as well as in the hatch area but at the same time it handled better and felt quicker. I also prefer a lower seating position but that is admittedly a personal preference. The interior design/quality felt pretty much the same. I would have to look at them side by side to see which is really nicer.

68_427

The crosstrek is literally a lifted Impreza hatch, which is why they were so similar.  And I don't think regular STIs get that expensive.  Those might have been the Ra special edition
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Morris Minor

The Outback 4's lack of oomph was a factor in my decision not to get one.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Laconian

The Outback CVT keeps the engine responsive in most situations except onramp acceleration - can't disguise the lack of power there
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

SJ_GTI

Quote from: 68_427 on April 18, 2018, 10:32:26 AM
The crosstrek is literally a lifted Impreza hatch, which is why they were so similar.  And I don't think regular STIs get that expensive.  Those might have been the Ra special edition

Re: STI's, could be right. I should have taken a picture with my phone but didn't think to do it.

edited to add, this is indeed what they all looked like. Not all blue, but they all had the gold wheels and the same wing so you are probably right. Wonder why they had so many (at least a dozen) there at their offices.

AutobahnSHO

I personally wouldn't be getting an STI over WRX, seems the extra money just doesn't get you as much. I don't care for how flashy the STIs are either.

The Crosstrek seems like it would be more floaty/cushy because it's the same car just taller. I wonder if the suspension is much different between the two?
Will

68_427

You've always been able to get the still with the wrx lip spoiler.  The cost of the STIs parts is greater than the sum of the increase vs the wrx, but for some people those upgrades aren't necessary so I understand that perspective.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

12,000 RPM

We will see what happens with both of them. Smart thing for Subaru to do would be to give them tuned versions of the new 2.4T in the Ascent. With that, all I would want from the STI is that active center diff. I'm ripping most of the other stuff out anyway.

Raza

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on April 18, 2018, 12:41:33 PM
I personally wouldn't be getting an STI over WRX, seems the extra money just doesn't get you as much. I don't care for how flashy the STIs are either.

The Crosstrek seems like it would be more floaty/cushy because it's the same car just taller. I wonder if the suspension is much different between the two?

Does the WRX still use the old, weak 5 speed manual?

Edit: No, apparently it has a 6 speed now. But damn, they are ugly as sin. Both the WRX and STI.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

12,000 RPM

WRXs were never pretty, that's their whole thing

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on April 18, 2018, 07:01:22 PM
WRXs were never pretty, that's their whole thing

And yet, every previous model was a beauty queen comparatively.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MX793

WRXes went from ugly but aggressive to Toyota Corolla boring.  And the latest one is possibly the worst-sounding performance car on the market.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

CaminoRacer

I normally fill up at 1/4 tank, but pushed it today until the gas light came on in the Mazda6. Put 15 gallons in. It has an 18 gallon tank. That's a huge reserve after "empty".

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MX793 on April 18, 2018, 08:42:39 PM
WRXes went from ugly but aggressive to Toyota Corolla boring.  And the latest one is possibly the worst-sounding performance car on the market.
Yea this is the issue. No WRX is pretty but the old ones had character.

SJ_GTI

I must have bad taste because I thought they looked good in person.  :lol:

The STI's were a bit too boy racerish for my taste but the WRX's looked good. I like the plain Impreza (hatchback) my brother got. Maybe its because I am getting older but I am happier with less "look at me!" styling.

If I was buying today i am not sure I would get one though (WRX). I think I would pay extra (again) to get a hatchback (Golf R or Focus RS). It would probably end up being the Golf again because I like the more sedate styling and I know it actually makes a good daily driver (comfortable and easy to drive with a little bit of sport mixed in).

CaminoRacer

Bugeyes, Hawkeyes and 2012-2014ish hatchback STis are cool. Don't care for any recent sedan models.

AutobahnSHO

When they dropped the hatch from WRX-land I lost interest.
Will

giant_mtb

Quote from: CaminoRacer on April 18, 2018, 10:06:00 PM
I normally fill up at 1/4 tank, but pushed it today until the gas light came on in the Mazda6. Put 15 gallons in. It has an 18 gallon tank. That's a huge reserve after "empty".

Depending on where you are, 3 gallons reserve could be really nice to have.  Say you go into the ditch in a blizzard and you're in the middle of nowhere. Those 3 gallons could save your life.

Granted, if you're driving in a blizzard, you should never let your gas get that low for that very reason, but some people...

Raza

Quote from: MX793 on April 18, 2018, 08:42:39 PM

Yeah, I think that's more accurate than what I said.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

12,000 RPM

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 19, 2018, 10:02:41 AM
Depending on where you are, 3 gallons reserve could be really nice to have.  Say you go into the ditch in a blizzard and you're in the middle of nowhere. Those 3 gallons could save your life.

Granted, if you're driving in a blizzard, you should never let your gas get that low for that very reason, but some people...
Whats a blizzard :confused:

RomanChariot

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on April 19, 2018, 11:05:51 AM
Whats a blizzard :confused:

It's a tasty blend of soft serve ice cream and crushed candies.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: RomanChariot on April 19, 2018, 11:11:24 AM

It's every child's dream to get stuck in one.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: RomanChariot on April 19, 2018, 11:11:24 AM

so thick it's served upside-down.

Which is not what you should be doing with your car in a blizzard.
Will