Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

Galaxy

It is audacious to be sure but I kinda see their point. I guess Hyundai put the BMW M engineers they poached to good use. Jason Cammisa wrote this a few month back.

Let's be honest: Golf > Veloster in as a car. But N > GTI in the fun department. The N is way more hardcore than a Golf R, and way more fun than anything German. ⁣
⁣The styling? You judge. I love its outspoken dorkiness with the red accents and Lambo tails. I'd like it better if it were a 4-door instead of having only 1 driver-side door. I don't get the benefit. ⁣Here's the short list of things that suck: the one-note, rental-car horn is humiliating. The headlights are LEDs but the high-beams are weaksauce halogens. That's it. ⁣Some of the best steering weighting in the business; path accuracy is also perfection. Zero torque steer, some actual feel. Brakes feel great. Seats are comfy and supportive, great driving position. ⁣Shifter is VW-like in its light weight and ropiness (not a bad thing) and clutch is light and positive. 2nd and 3rd gears are spaced widely (max 60 and 91 mph) leaving a gearing hole right where you need it. ⁣The engine sounds outrageous with the exhaust open. Gunfire! Sounds great in the car, but it's fake "intake" noise from a vibrator on the firewall. Sounds real until high rpm where it turns into a V10. ⁣Far less lag than GTI, way better wastegate control coming off boost smoothly. Only small demerit is what feels like a lot of flywheel weight — revs slowly on a big throttle blip. Power everywhere, runs right into the limiter.⁣
⁣Suspension goes stupidly rock-hard in its Track-Only hardest mode. It's great in either normal or the middle mode, rarely hits the bumpstops and has fantastic body control. Massive grip in the corners; you'll never see 1-tire-fire with this active diff. Superb composure over bumps.⁣ N-Mode button lets you call up your own personal mode, a la BMW M-cars.⁣

This is the most fun I've had in a new car since the Miata. It's everything a GTI should be: it has a sense of humor, a sense of occasion, and it's a little bit obnoxious. The Veloster is an a'ight car, but the N is a hot-hatch dynamic masterclass. I'd love to drive this every day.⁣

Eye of the Tiger

I nominate 1998 Dodge Dakota for PTOTY.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

MrH

Quote from: Galaxy on November 05, 2019, 07:58:22 AM
It is audacious to be sure but I kinda see their point. I guess Hyundai put the BMW M engineers they poached to good use. Jason Cammisa wrote this a few month back.

Let's be honest: Golf > Veloster in as a car. But N > GTI in the fun department. The N is way more hardcore than a Golf R, and way more fun than anything German. ⁣
⁣The styling? You judge. I love its outspoken dorkiness with the red accents and Lambo tails. I'd like it better if it were a 4-door instead of having only 1 driver-side door. I don't get the benefit. ⁣Here's the short list of things that suck: the one-note, rental-car horn is humiliating. The headlights are LEDs but the high-beams are weaksauce halogens. That's it. ⁣Some of the best steering weighting in the business; path accuracy is also perfection. Zero torque steer, some actual feel. Brakes feel great. Seats are comfy and supportive, great driving position. ⁣Shifter is VW-like in its light weight and ropiness (not a bad thing) and clutch is light and positive. 2nd and 3rd gears are spaced widely (max 60 and 91 mph) leaving a gearing hole right where you need it. ⁣The engine sounds outrageous with the exhaust open. Gunfire! Sounds great in the car, but it's fake "intake" noise from a vibrator on the firewall. Sounds real until high rpm where it turns into a V10. ⁣Far less lag than GTI, way better wastegate control coming off boost smoothly. Only small demerit is what feels like a lot of flywheel weight — revs slowly on a big throttle blip. Power everywhere, runs right into the limiter.⁣
⁣Suspension goes stupidly rock-hard in its Track-Only hardest mode. It's great in either normal or the middle mode, rarely hits the bumpstops and has fantastic body control. Massive grip in the corners; you'll never see 1-tire-fire with this active diff. Superb composure over bumps.⁣ N-Mode button lets you call up your own personal mode, a la BMW M-cars.⁣

This is the most fun I've had in a new car since the Miata. It's everything a GTI should be: it has a sense of humor, a sense of occasion, and it's a little bit obnoxious. The Veloster is an a'ight car, but the N is a hot-hatch dynamic masterclass. I'd love to drive this every day.⁣

I always found Camissa a little annoying in video form sometimes, but I'll be damned if he isn't one of the best car reviewers out there.  Dude is like an encyclopedia of everything he's ever driven and picks up on the subtlest nuances of every car right when he drives it.  I trust his feedback more than just about anyone else.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MX793 on November 05, 2019, 04:51:35 AM
Did they seriously complain about the Corvette's DSG slamming the rev limiter rather than automatically up shifting while in manual mode?  :facepalm:

What the hell has happened to auto journalists these days?  There was a time when they, rightfully, would have panned a car that executed uncommanded shifts while in manual mode, now they've gotten so soft that they pan a car for not doing the driving for them?  Maybe RT should just stick to automatics left in auto mode.
These PCOTY competitions are kind of pointless. How do you compare a hot hatch to a supercar?
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MX793

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 05, 2019, 08:08:28 AM
These PCOTY competitions are kind of pointless. How do you compare a hot hatch to a supercar?

The complaint was totally irrespective of the article being a COTY comparo.  A few years ago, if a car had a DSG or otherwise automated gearbox with a manual mode and didn't let you ride the rev limiter, that executed a shift without the driver explicitly commanding it via a tug of the shift paddle, it got raked over the coals.  Now these pansies complain that the gearbox doesn't automatically shift for them while in manual mode to cover their driving mistakes or missed upshift?  What's next?  Complaining that the car doesn't auto-brake for corners when the driver is a little late getting on the brakes, or auto-corrects the steering to put the car back on the racing line when the driver has a lapse in skill or judgement?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

CaminoRacer

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 05, 2019, 08:08:28 AM

+1

And I see how they can really like a Veloster. But saying it's better than the others? WTF
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

MX793

Quote from: CaminoRacer on November 05, 2019, 12:33:10 PM
+1

And I see how they can really like a Veloster. But saying it's better than the others? WTF

I wouldn't take the win to mean it's objectively or even subjectively better than many of the other cars.  I take it to mean it was the most impressive for what it was (factoring price, etc).  There's some relative scaling happening in the scoring.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

FoMoJo

Quote from: MX793 on November 05, 2019, 12:45:28 PM
I wouldn't take the win to mean it's objectively or even subjectively better than many of the other cars.  I take it to mean it was the most impressive for what it was (factoring price, etc).  There's some relative scaling happening in the scoring.
...or, simply, that it was a Hyundai that didn't suck. :huh:
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Galaxy

Quote from: MX793 on November 05, 2019, 12:45:28 PM

Correct.

They did point out that they considered it an error that last year they included cars like the McLaren Senna.

veeman

Looks like I've found my next car.  What's not to love?  Mainstreamer price, 6 speed manual, hatchback styling and room, Hyundai warranty, doesn't look like a boy racer Honda Civic Type R, sweet light blue color option, 22 mpg city and 29 mpg highway, and doesn't require premium gas.  WTF.

It's basically perfect.  Never even heard of this "N" variant car before. 

FoMoJo

Fun, but you might have to be a little bit crazy to drive it...Jay Leno's Shelby GT500-Powered '68 Bronco On Display At SEMA

This former gag gift has been meticulously restored and is powered by the aluminum 5.2-liter V8 found in the all-new 2020 Shelby GT500.

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: veeman on November 06, 2019, 10:30:45 AM
Looks like I've found my next car.  What's not to love?  Mainstreamer price, 6 speed manual, hatchback styling and room, Hyundai warranty, doesn't look like a boy racer Honda Civic Type R, sweet light blue color option, 22 mpg city and 29 mpg highway, and doesn't require premium gas.  WTF.

It IS quite appealling.
Will

12,000 RPM

Quote from: veeman on November 06, 2019, 10:30:45 AM

FWD and a turbo 4 popper

But it's damn good for the money

MX793

Guy who has won our region's auto-x point championship the past few years switched from his GTI to a Veloster N this season.  He said it's not quite as planted as his GTI was (a little more tail happy), but he really digs being able to set the dampers to "track" stiffness at the event and then back to a more reasonable street stiffness with the push of a button.  And as Turbo 4-poppers go, it's one of the better sounding ones (along with the Focus RS and older WRXs with unequal length headers).  The crackle and pop on over-run definitely grabs your attention.
Needs more Jiggawatts

giant_mtb

POS. It'll never win any PCOTY comparisons.

JWC

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 06, 2019, 01:24:17 PM
Fun, but you might have to be a little bit crazy to drive it...Jay Leno's Shelby GT500-Powered '68 Bronco On Display At SEMA

This former gag gift has been meticulously restored and is powered by the aluminum 5.2-liter V8 found in the all-new 2020 Shelby GT500.

I love a Bronco from that era. Can't afford'em now. There is one outside of town that is rough. The farmer still uses it to check on his cattle and crops.

FoMoJo

Quote from: JWC on November 06, 2019, 05:14:45 PM
I love a Bronco from that era. Can't afford'em now. There is one outside of town that is rough. The farmer still uses it to check on his cattle and crops.
I've coveted them for a long time and regret not getting one when I could afford to, as it never seemed to be the right time.  When we lived outside of the GTA near a small town, an old guy I casually knew, had one that was made for the military using galvanized metal, so he claimed.  It was an olive green and didn't have a spec of rust on it, though the paint was quite faded.  He wanted $17 grand for it and I should've written him a cheque on the spot.

AutobahnSHO

I was sitting behind a Sky turbo at a great drag strip light this morning, I got wasted. :( It's actually a 4 lane curvy 40mph road. But since he was doing 70mph I just followed, enjoying the chance to let him find any potential cops. :lol:
Will

Soup DeVille

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 06, 2019, 05:39:11 PM
I've coveted them for a long time and regret not getting one when I could afford to, as it never seemed to be the right time.  When we lived outside of the GTA near a small town, an old guy I casually knew, had one that was made for the military using galvanized metal, so he claimed.  It was an olive green and didn't have a spec of rust on it, though the paint was quite faded.  He wanted $17 grand for it and I should've written him a cheque on the spot.

There is no NSN number I can find for any variation of the Bronco. Blazers and Chevy trucks, Dodge trucks, even some Internationals (I assume larger equipment), yes. But nothing in light vehicles category that could be a Bronco.

Even if there was, I doubt it would be galvanized. No other commercial converted military vehicle has had that done.   

Probably best you didn't buy it, dude was full of shit.

edit; apparently it had a U-number, not an M number, which at the time classified it with things like forklifts and tractors. U-180, vehicle light 4x4. About 120 existed, but no mention of being galvanized.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

FoMoJo

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 07, 2019, 11:52:24 AM
There is no NSN number I can find for any variation of the Bronco. Blazers and Chevy trucks, Dodge trucks, even some Internationals (I assume larger equipment), yes. But nothing in light vehicles category that could be a Bronco.

Even if there was, I doubt it would be galvanized. No other commercial converted military vehicle has had that done.   

Probably best you didn't buy it, dude was full of shit.

edit; apparently it had a U-number, not an M number, which at the time classified it with things like forklifts and tractors. U-180, vehicle light 4x4. About 120 existed, but no mention of being galvanized.
I had some doubts and never really bothered to check.  He claimed he had it since new and I did have a pretty good look at it and spotted no rust in the usual places.  Galvanized sounded a bit sketchy to me but, for the shape it was in...and this was just a few years ago...$17 grand was the pretty good price.

Doing a search just now, I did come across this...That Time Ford Made Broncos for the US Military

If what the guy said was true, maybe I should've got it.  It would likely be worth something if only a few were make.

FoMoJo

Soup DeVille

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 07, 2019, 01:12:57 PM
I had some doubts and never really bothered to check.  He claimed he had it since new and I did have a pretty good look at it and spotted no rust in the usual places.  Galvanized sounded a bit sketchy to me but, for the shape it was in...and this was just a few years ago...$17 grand was the pretty good price.

Doing a search just now, I did come across this...That Time Ford Made Broncos for the US Military

If what the guy said was true, maybe I should've got it.  It would likely be worth something if only a few were make.

Well, if it was ex-military- how could he have had it since new?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

FoMoJo

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 13, 2019, 07:33:17 AM
Well, if it was ex-military- how could he have had it since new?
That's what he said, but it was really clean, faded, but clean.  He also said that the local Bronco club had made him an offer.

FoMoJo

I'm not sure what to think of this thing...The Ferrari Roma Is a Sleek-Looking Front-Engine GT Coupe

It has classic styling lines and looks sleek and fast, but it evokes no emotion, imo.  I think designers have truly run out of new ideas, at least ones that don't look nasty.

12,000 RPM

Looks like Ferrari in a big condom

cawimmer430

HOLY SH*T!

Spotted this exotic in Nürnberg. A frigging Toyota Camry! Not sure if it was the 4-cylinder or the high performance V6... :wtf:

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Galaxy

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 13, 2019, 05:04:15 PM

It has classic styling lines and looks sleek and fast, but it evokes no emotion, imo. 

Yeah, that is basically my view of this thing.