Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

MX793

Quote from: Rich on July 20, 2021, 02:41:42 PM
I looked at some used WRXs on Carmax. 24k was the cheapest one they had. I think from 2016 or so?  They sell new for 26k

I just checked KBB price on my Mustang.  I'd consider it no worse than Very Good condition, if not excellent.  Excellent condition trade in value is $35K.  VG is $33K.  I paid $35.5K for it 6 years ago.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MX793 on July 20, 2021, 03:56:25 PM
I just checked KBB price on my Mustang.  I'd consider it no worse than Very Good condition, if not excellent.  Excellent condition trade in value is $35K.  VG is $33K.  I paid $35.5K for it 6 years ago.

Used car prices are absolutely bonkers right now.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

AutobahnSHO

Right now prices are absolutely NUTS. Volts I was looking at a half year ago for $11k are $18k now.

But Carmax and Carvana are "established" places. People don't expect them to disappear next week. They offer warranty. They offer some "peace of mind" which is invaluable to many buyers, even if it's at a $$$ premium. AND the "no haggle prices" really appeal. Plus they can get the car you want even if they don't have it- shipping it in from another market for free or not much $$.
Will

CaminoRacer

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on July 20, 2021, 05:09:03 PM
Right now prices are absolutely NUTS. Volts I was looking at a half year ago for $11k are $18k now.

But Carmax and Carvana are "established" places. People don't expect them to disappear next week. They offer warranty. They offer some "peace of mind" which is invaluable to many buyers, even if it's at a $$$ premium. AND the "no haggle prices" really appeal. Plus they can get the car you want even if they don't have it- shipping it in from another market for free or not much $$.

I bought my Miata with CarMax. Shipped it from Washington state for a couple hundred bucks, easy deal. They had mine with the BBS/Brembo package for the same price as non-BBS cars. I could have paid less somewhere else but not for the exact car I wanted + it'd probably have more miles. And I probably would have had to work with a dealership out of state.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: CaminoRacer on July 20, 2021, 05:15:17 PM
I bought my Miata with CarMax. Shipped it from Washington state for a couple hundred bucks, easy deal. They had mine with the BBS/Brembo package for the same price as non-BBS cars. I could have paid less somewhere else but not for the exact car I wanted + it'd probably have more miles. And I probably would have had to work with a dealership out of state.

Yup. Win win!
Will

AutobahnSHO

What's more sad- the guy that's been trying to sell a "lot (multiple) of Saturn CD and cassette players" for like a year,

or the fact that I know that he keeps relisting them for about a year??...
Will

cawimmer430

My sister triggering me with an early birthday card...  :lol:

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

FoMoJo

Quote from: cawimmer430 on July 21, 2021, 04:37:54 AM

I'm really liking your sister. :lol:
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

cawimmer430

Quote from: FoMoJo on July 21, 2021, 07:54:17 AM
I'm really liking your sister. :lol:

To calm me down she also sent me some hand-made Swiss chocolates. Yummy! But now I need to run 9430943040340403 km to burn off those 293030404343030430 calories. :lol:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

Morris Minor

Carvana delivered my daughter's RAV4 today - pleasant and professional young woman brought it along on a low loader. Super-impressive operation. Far better than being beaten to a pulp on a dealer lot.

⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

FoMoJo

Looks just like the commercial.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

CaminoRacer

I saw a Carvana truck the other day. Last year they weren't actually in the area, they'd just ship the car on a normal car carrier. Looks like they've finally moved into the SLC area. :rockon:
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

AutobahnSHO

Good looking vehicle!
Will

Morris Minor

Remember my unhappiness with the 2018 CR-V?  I traded it in for the CX5 early this year.
If I'd bought the RAV4 back then. I'd still have it. It's a much better grocery getter appliance than was the Honda.

Speed_Racer

Quote from: CaminoRacer on July 21, 2021, 01:32:26 PM
I saw a Carvana truck the other day. Last year they weren't actually in the area, they'd just ship the car on a normal car carrier. Looks like they've finally moved into the SLC area. :rockon:
They're building one of their vending machines in Lehi next to the tech bldgs

GoCougs

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Morris Minor

Quote from: Speed_Racer on July 21, 2021, 09:15:44 PM
I'm guessing car dealers will be mobilizing state legislatures to head off the threat. Our state's vital sleaze is under threat & potentially disadvantaged

FoMoJo

Quote from: Speed_Racer on July 21, 2021, 09:15:44 PM
So how does it function?  Is there some kind of receptacle that you feed thousand dollar bills into and push a selection button?

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: FoMoJo on July 22, 2021, 06:45:49 AM
So how does it function?  Is there some kind of receptacle that you feed thousand dollar bills into and push a selection button?

:lol:
Will

AutobahnSHO

I believe we were discussing this a few weeks back LOL

Will

Submariner

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

cawimmer430

Current Mercedes-Benz electric cars are all so ugly. They need to seek inspiration from their classics and RETRO DESIGN their EVs in this fashion. This retro-designed W114/W115 (Strich-8) concept looks fantastic for example compared to that hideous EQS.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

shp4man

Quote from: cawimmer430 on July 23, 2021, 06:07:48 PM
Current Mercedes-Benz electric cars are all so ugly. They need to seek inspiration from their classics and RETRO DESIGN their EVs in this fashion. This retro-designed W114/W115 (Strich-8) concept looks fantastic for example compared to that hideous EQS.

I like it. Looks like a Mercedes.

shp4man

IMHO, this is the best looking Ford vehicle in years. I really want one of these. Like the Jeep Wrangler, it's designed to be easily customized by it's owners, even the body panels are easily switched out.

Raza

Yikes. Sorry, Wilmer, but that looks like a Lincoln design even they were smart enough to throw out.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: shp4man on July 23, 2021, 09:03:29 PM
IMHO, this is the best looking Ford vehicle in years. I really want one of these. Like the Jeep Wrangler, it's designed to be easily customized by it's owners, even the body panels are easily switched out.

I do quite like the Bronco.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Submariner

I know why they have a separate EQ brand, but if Merc is going to go full electric I hope they keep existing styling and proportions and fit them with the necessary motors/batteries.

Submariner

Lol!  She has quite the sense of humor.  How is she doing?

cawimmer430

Quote from: shp4man on July 23, 2021, 08:55:15 PM
I like it. Looks like a Mercedes.

And more importantly - it looks instantly recognizable to MB fans as a W114/W115. ;)

www.wimmerfotografie.de