2015 Subaru Outback

Started by Catman, September 02, 2014, 07:58:42 AM

Catman

I was checking one out yesterday but haven't driven one yet.  Has anyone driven an Outback with the 2.5L in it?  Is it adequate? 

68_427

Quote from: Catman on September 02, 2014, 07:58:42 AM
I was checking one out yesterday but haven't driven one yet.  Has anyone driven an Outback with the 2.5L in it?  Is it adequate? 

Unless you are doing alot of mountain driving or towing then yes it is.  Of course the 3.6 is available if you require/want more. 

What were your thoughts on it?  IMO it's fucking amazing compared the last car.  Huge improvement in every way.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Catman

Quote from: 68_427 on September 02, 2014, 11:16:31 AM
Unless you are doing alot of mountain driving or towing then yes it is.  Of course the 3.6 is available if you require/want more. 

What were your thoughts on it?  IMO it's fucking amazing compared the last car.  Huge improvement in every way.

Agreed.  I hate the roof rack but I found some acceptable solutions for the bike mounts, etc.  Basically, it has plenty of room and I can get a 2.5 Limited in the $32-34 range and save a min of $100 a month on fuel.  It has to be one of the best values out there for what you get.  I don't think I will mind the 4 banger either.  Most of the time I am either back and forth to work, hockey rinks or baseball fields.  Not really demanding driving. 

68_427

Hopefully it won't be too long before it's equipped with Android auto.
'racecar is die'
no

Laconian

I'm going to try one in a week or so, just so that we can buy the TSX outright with a clear conscience.

If the Outback is that much better, then we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

GoCougs

My parents just bought one today. It is a major upgrade over MY2014 in and out - looks so much better. You'll want to test the infotainment - all trim levels come with a touchscreen LCD of some sort sadly. It's not enough power for me but my parents like it just fine. One can only get the 3.6L in fully loaded trim ($35k+).

Catman

1.9% on 2015 Outbacks till Sept 30th.

12,000 RPM

My coworker has an Outback... I am not sure what year it is, but it definitely has a CVT so I'm guessing it's pretty new. We rode around in it all day yesterday, and between the 3 of us it had to be hauling around at least 700-800lb of fat Americans. It got 30.0 MPG in generally mixed driving. Suspension tuning felt really good, and the engine wasn't a rocket but it was punchy enough. Interior design wasn't great, but the materials felt pretty high quality. Ride height felt "right"... didn't feel like it was gonna tip over like an SUV, but it felt way more secure than my car or wifey's car. I like it. I would recommend it, I came away impressed.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

AutobahnSHO

Will

Catman

Guys, thanks for the input. 

MrH

I'm a big fan of the new outback.  One of the best values out there.  A fully loaded 3.6 is $36k MSRP.  Supplier pricing (which you can get if you play the system) takes it down to $32,500 or so.  That's a ton of tech and vehicle for that price.  Very few cars can touch that kind of value.

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

2o6

Too bad it looks so fucking boring

GoCougs

Went for a spin in my parents' car last night. Very nice. The infotainment system is actually decent - there's a bit of lag but the display is very sharp (including backup camera) and overall it and the HVAC and radio controls looks quite upscale (they got the Premium - each trim level has a unique system). Seats are great, tons of room in the rear.

2o6

Quote from: GoCougs on September 04, 2014, 08:27:53 AM
Went for a spin in my parents' car last night. Very nice. The infotainment system is actually decent - there's a bit of lag but the display is very sharp (including backup camera) and overall it and the HVAC and radio controls looks quite upscale (they got the Premium - each trim level has a unique system). Seats are great, tons of room in the rear.

Is that a rebranded Toyota Entune IP/OS, or does Subaru have something unique?

veeman

I'm torn between Outback and Forester.  Outback looks better and is smoother driving.  Forester has less of a footprint and so more nimble and cheaper.  I think you can also get a stripper Forester with a manual transmission. 

MrH

Quote from: 2o6 on September 04, 2014, 08:27:22 AM
Too bad it looks so fucking boring

:huh:  Looks really good to me.

Quote from: 2o6 on September 04, 2014, 08:29:56 AM
Is that a rebranded Toyota Entune IP/OS, or does Subaru have something unique?

It's similar hardware.  Software is different though I think.

Quote from: veeman on September 04, 2014, 09:04:11 AM
I'm torn between Outback and Forester.  Outback looks better and is smoother driving.  Forester has less of a footprint and so more nimble and cheaper.  I think you can also get a stripper Forester with a manual transmission. 

The Forester isn't nearly as nice or as practical IMO.  I'll take the outback over it anyday.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

68_427

Well the practical part entirely depends on the type of cargo you're carrying.  There are things my friend can carry in his Forester that I can't in my Outback and so on.  But the interiors of the two are not even comparable.
'racecar is die'
no

GoCougs

The Outback is such a superior vehicle to the Forester it's almost impossible to compare the two. Because SUV is why the Forester sells.

Even 256 hp is a bit weak though, esp. with CVT.

12,000 RPM

IDK, I'm pretty sure my coworker had the 4, and again we were going up grades with 3 heavy dudes no problem.

It won't blow your mind but it will get out of its own way, which in that class is about all you can ask for.

High key the 3.6 is a waste of money... for that fuel economy you might as well get something more focused on driving engagement.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Catman

I agree Sporty. I am mainly running to work and going to rinks and fields so mileage will be great. As long as I am not having to floor it all the time I won't have an issue with it. My CX-9 has about 100 more HP but I think it's heavier too. I very rarely drive it hard anyway.

Catman

Took a test drive this morning in a 2.5 and it will be fine. I'd be giving up some punch but gaining over 10mpg on the highway. Can't believe the value of this car.  It's big, loaded with options and has great economy. I am going to work some numbers out with the sales manager and see if I can get them where I want.

MrH

Quote from: Catman on September 06, 2014, 08:51:50 AM
Took a test drive this morning in a 2.5 and it will be fine. I'd be giving up some punch but gaining over 10mpg on the highway. Can't believe the value of this car.  It's big, loaded with options and has great economy. I am going to work some numbers out with the sales manager and see if I can get them where I want.
Awesome!

I'm really tempted to sell both vehicles, get one of these, then wait a year and get a new miata to go with it. I thought the 2.5 would have been way too slow though. It's not much more powerful than my element, and it's too slow for me. I think it's more the by product of the aero and 5 speed transmission though. Constantly has to kick down two gears to maintain highways speeds up hill.

What were your thoughts on the cvt? Also, how was the ride and handling?
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Catman

Seemed fine to me. Kind of like my 07 Maxima felt. When you get on it though you feel as it transitions to shift points. It's not a powerhouse but it moves along fine.

Ride was nice and so was the steering. Handling felt solid.

Raza

Quote from: Catman on September 06, 2014, 08:51:50 AM

Sounds like it's fine...if you're European and a sissy.  Oh look at me, I'm giving up power for fuel mileage.  This is fantastic.  All of a sudden I think a 90% tax on the highest 1% of earners is totally justified!  What kind of scone do you want with your tea and aristocratic incest, Greg?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

2o6

Naturally aspirated V8's for all!

Catman

Looks like I will be grabbing one next week. Gave me a $2500 discount off MSRP, a good, fair price for my CX-9 and I am eligible for the 1.9 % financing.

ifcar

Congrats! Which model did you end up going with?

Catman

Quote from: ifcar on September 07, 2014, 08:54:00 AM
Congrats! Which model did you end up going with?

Thanks.  Will be the 2.5 limited with the Moonroof/nav package.  They don't have one on the lot but there's a lot arriving and they said they can get one in a few days.  I thought the 2.5 was pretty good.  Will definitely like the fuel economy.

I need to see if they have a factory installed rainbow decal.

68_427

Nice do you know what color you want?
'racecar is die'
no