C&D Lightning Lap 2014

Started by 68_427, September 06, 2014, 01:52:16 PM

Lebowski

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 14, 2014, 09:18:28 PM

Look man, outside the west coast, and a few exceptions in major cities, there are two basic areas of this country for those who want a hot meal at 4 AM while their buddy pukes in the parking lot.

You have Waffle House land and Denny's land. You also have truck stops, but those speaking, are generally unsafe to leave your drunk buddy laying in a pool of his own vomit in.

I'm not on the west coast nor in a big city, and there are a handful of decent to good places that are open late night.

12,000 RPM

Borelando is still a majorish city. There are good spots there if you look hard enough and drive far enough.

Even in a big city like NYC, late night food is still pretty much basura. People talk about late night pizza.... when you are drunk you don't notice how that 3 AM pizza is what hasn't been able to sell since 3 PM. Diner food is OK but not great. Street meat is sketchy as fuck at any time of day, but especially at night. I would posit that aside from ambiance Denny's/Waffle House is not much worse than fancy big city late night food. The Waffle House by me is actually pretty decent... would rather that than day old pizza.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MexicoCityM3

Nothing can beat our late night Taco joints here in MC.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Lebowski

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 15, 2014, 07:56:07 AM

Borelando is still a majorish city. There are good spots there if you look hard enough and drive far enough.

Even in a big city like NYC, late night food is still pretty much basura. People talk about late night pizza.... when you are drunk you don't notice how that 3 AM pizza is what hasn't been able to sell since 3 PM. Diner food is OK but not great. Street meat is sketchy as fuck at any time of day, but especially at night. I would posit that aside from ambiance Denny's/Waffle House is not much worse than fancy big city late night food. The Waffle House by me is actually pretty decent... would rather that than day old pizza.

Well, winter park really, population ~30k.

Borelando is big but is more of a sprawl than a concentrated urban area ... The late night places I'm thinking of aren't downtown or out west by the touristy places etc, they're in more typical suburban type areas you'd have most anywhere. 

You don't have to be in Portland or NYC to get something decent late night.

hotrodalex

I had all you can eat pancakes last night for $4.

They were alright, not as good as IHOP.

Raza

Quote from: Lebowski on September 15, 2014, 07:11:39 AM

I'm not on the west coast nor in a big city, and there are a handful of decent to good places that are open late night.

Actually, most places I've seen with those all night diners are suburban or rural places. One near where I grew up was aptly called "Suburban Diner"; open 24 hours and quite a popular high schooler hangout, I was told.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

FlatBlackCaddy

Can we get back to the topic at hand.

General Motors, blunders and failures from past to present.

MX793

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 14, 2014, 09:18:28 PM
Look man, outside the west coast, and a few exceptions in major cities, there are two basic areas of this country for those who want a hot meal at 4 AM while their buddy pukes in the parking lot.

You have Waffle House land and Denny's land. You also have truck stops, but those speaking, are generally unsafe to leave your drunk buddy laying in a pool of his own vomit in.

Not sure I'd call the Denny's parking lot all that safe.  Seems I've read numerous local news blurbs about people being stabbed, shot, or beat up in the parking lots of multiple Denny's in this area.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

MrH

Denny's parking lot?  You mean Cale's lady slayin turf? :lol:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

CALL_911

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 15, 2014, 07:56:07 AM

Enough, heathen.  Street meat is great

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Laconian

Quote from: MrH on September 15, 2014, 10:26:31 AM
Denny's parking lot?  You mean Cale's lady slayin turf? :lol:

Get in my ride and let's make a carpool, 'cuz I need to soak.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

FlatBlackCaddy

Apparently drunken 2am White Castle runs are only big in my area... :huh:

12,000 RPM

Quote from: CALL_911 on September 15, 2014, 11:07:51 AM
Enough, heathen.  Street meat is great
Good rule of thumb for buying food.... dont buy food prepared in a place w/o a sink or easily accessible bathroom

And only street meat I've ever dealt in is what I fed to exes in the back of my old Accords before wifey. My street meat days are way behind me

280Z Turbo

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on September 15, 2014, 11:56:40 AM
Apparently drunken 2am White Castle runs are only big in my area... :huh:

White Castle causes the runs.

68_427

Quote from: Laconian on September 15, 2014, 11:37:23 AM
Get in my ride and let's make a carpool, 'cuz I need to soak.

LMFAO.

I did a little more than soak, let's say I chlorinated the water real good.  :lol:
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

SVT666

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 15, 2014, 12:32:50 PM
Good rule of thumb for buying food.... dont buy food prepared in a place w/o a sink or easily accessible bathroom
You can get some awesome food from food trucks.

FlatBlackCaddy

12,000 RPM

Quote from: SVT666 on September 15, 2014, 01:18:41 PM
You can get some awesome food from food trucks.
Touche, but even still, we do a lot of food truck rallys here and there is usually an actual bathroom (not portapotty) on the premises

NYC, pretty much no such thing as a public restroom, especially in the heart of the city.

CALL_911

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 15, 2014, 12:32:50 PM

And only street meat I've ever dealt in is what I fed to exes in the back of my old Accords before wifey. My street meat days are way behind me

Gloves. What, do you suppose they shit in your food?

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Raza

I eat at least one meal from a food truck every weekday these days. Places that sell food that aren't on wheels seem shitty in comparison.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

S204STi

I sort of felt like the new STI and WRX were too close, till I read this. 3 seconds faster per lap with the same engine as the 2011, and 6 seconds per lap faster that the new WRX. :mask:

68_427

Quote from: S204STi on October 10, 2014, 04:47:36 PM
I sort of felt like the new STI and WRX were too close, till I read this. 3 seconds faster per lap with the same engine as the 2011, and 6 seconds per lap faster that the new WRX. :mask:

All other reviews have made it sound like the Ralliart vs Evo comparison.  Which is good IMO.  They should be differentiated.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

r0tor

Quote from: S204STi on October 10, 2014, 04:47:36 PM

The track was repaved and widened.,, cant really compare this years results with previous years
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Rich

Quote from: r0tor on October 10, 2014, 05:18:04 PM
The track was repaved and widened.,, cant really compare this years results with previous years

Oooooo really
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

S204STi

Quote from: r0tor on October 10, 2014, 05:18:04 PM
Ah...

Well then the year to year difference isn't as relevant. I would just say that the STI which participated in the 24hrs of Nurburgring was 7 seconds per lap faster than last year's model, till it crashed. :lol: