C&D Lightning Lap 2014

Started by 68_427, September 06, 2014, 01:52:16 PM

12,000 RPM

Word on the skreet is the R36 will be a hybrid

I could get with that... dump the mechanical connection between the front wheels and engine and just give them electric power when needed. Shit's damn near 2 tons, and top heavy, might as well load it up with batteries.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

r0tor

Quote from: GoCougs on September 08, 2014, 09:53:48 AM
Why didn't you read the article? They said if was a bad oil filter.

Of course GM would blame a supplier.  They are GM afterall.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

r0tor

Actually, it sounds like C&D blew up 2 C7 corvettes.  Their long term car was a silver car that they reportedly killed by normal use.  The lightening lap car blew up on the front stretch at VIR and was yellow.

So there you go, 2 corvettes up in smoke.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

MX793

According to their article on the silver car, several owners have reported engine failures (presumably all related to "bad" oil filters).  Either GM got a bad batch of filters (can happen) or they spec'ed an inferior filter, perhaps in the name of getting improved performance by way of reduced oil flow resistance.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

280Z Turbo

Quote from: r0tor on September 08, 2014, 05:35:49 PM
Of course GM would blame a supplier.  They are GM afterall.

There ya go! :lol:

r0tor

Quote from: MX793 on September 08, 2014, 06:49:03 PM
According to their article on the silver car, several owners have reported engine failures (presumably all related to "bad" oil filters).  Either GM got a bad batch of filters (can happen) or they spec'ed an inferior filter, perhaps in the name of getting improved performance by way of reduced oil flow resistance.

There should NOT be large enough metal shavings left in the block after machining and assembly to granade an engine.  This is not 30 years ago when it was acceptable to do an intial oil change at 500 miles to "get all the bad shit out of the engine".  Blaming an oil filter supplier for your own problem is pathetic at best.

GM can go after the germans/italians/japanese all they want with the Corvette.  Until their business methods can match their rivals in addition to their vehicle performance - they will continue to be overlooked.

GoCougs

Guys, GM like any automaker isn't perfect but weak pooprod motors isn't their problem. The C7 and new LT1 is world class and a car no other automaker could build.

CJ

280Z Turbo

Quote from: MX793 on September 08, 2014, 06:49:03 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if it was related to their oil pump.

hotrodalex

Quote from: GoCougs on September 08, 2014, 09:01:12 PM
Guys, GM like any automaker isn't perfect but weak pooprod motors isn't their problem. The C7 and new LT1 is world class and a car no other automaker could build.

Nah they just all the sudden forgot what they were doing after 4 generations.

Byteme

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on September 08, 2014, 09:13:30 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if it was related to their oil pump.

the article I read said it was faulty oil filters.  Bits of metal in the filter broke loose and killed a bearing. 

r0tor

Quote from: CLKid on September 08, 2014, 11:50:51 PM
the article I read said it was faulty oil filters.  Bits of metal in the filter broke loose and killed a bearing. 

Where did those bits of metal come from?

GoCougs

FlatBlackCaddy

The C7 Stingray has all the performance of the last gen C6 Z06's, looks like they benchmarked that car alittle too much. Should have left the failing motors with the last gen.

Lebowski

Quote from: r0tor on September 08, 2014, 08:08:02 PM

GM can go after the germans/italians/japanese all they want with the Corvette.  Until their business methods can match their rivals in addition to their vehicle performance - they will continue to be overlooked.

Germans and Italians have plenty of one off horror stories as well.

Compared to Germans and Italians w/ similar performance, the Corvette is as good as it gets as far as reliability and maintenance requirements/cost.  I'm not a GM fan, but the Corvette is a great car.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on September 08, 2014, 08:08:02 PM
There should NOT be large enough metal shavings left in the block after machining and assembly to granade an engine.  This is not 30 years ago when it was acceptable to do an intial oil change at 500 miles to "get all the bad shit out of the engine".  Blaming an oil filter supplier for your own problem is pathetic at best.

Lol

So u cry about the Z28 not being fair... and now u cry about the C7 being subpar

Someone cut u off in an LSx equipped car?
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MX793

Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

r0tor

GoCougs

Quote from: MX793 on September 09, 2014, 07:57:07 AM
The metal came from the oil filter?

Yes (or, it came from somewhere, and it didn't come through the intake).

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on September 09, 2014, 09:20:10 AM
Yes (or, it came from somewhere, and it didn't come through the intake).
Really? Oil filters create metal?  You learn something new every day.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Lebowski on September 09, 2014, 07:26:27 AM

Germans and Italians have plenty of one off horror stories as well.

Compared to Germans and Italians w/ similar performance, the Corvette is as good as it gets as far as reliability and maintenance requirements/cost.  I'm not a GM fan, but the Corvette is a great car.
And it wasn't for the 1990 LS400 and Acura NSX they would have a whole lot more......
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

mzziaz

Having the engine grenade during magazine testing is pretty fucking embarrassing. I'm not sure even the Italians have pulled that off before.
Cuore Sportivo

hotrodalex

Quote from: mzziaz on September 09, 2014, 01:09:29 PM
Having the engine grenade during magazine testing is pretty fucking embarrassing. I'm not sure even the Italians have pulled that off before.

Well if an engine is gonna grenade, idiot journalists are probably your best bet to find out.

mzziaz

Quote from: hotrodalex on September 09, 2014, 01:19:19 PM
Well if an engine is gonna grenade, idiot journalists are probably your best bet to find out.

If a car can't handle a bit of journo stupidity, it clearly isn't the car for me
Cuore Sportivo

GoCougs

Quote from: mzziaz on September 09, 2014, 02:18:27 PM
If a car can't handle a bit of journo stupidity, it clearly isn't the car for me

What is the depth, breadth and nature of the stupidity you levy on your cars?

r0tor

Quote from: GoCougs on September 09, 2014, 03:09:37 PM
What is the depth, breadth and nature of the stupidity you levy on your cars?

Obviously taking a vette to the track is out of question.

Actually there seems to be an owner on the vette forums who had his C7 grenade at an HPDE and GM is not honoring the warranty.

So yes, tracking a vette is out of the question.

GoCougs

Quote from: r0tor on September 09, 2014, 04:10:37 PM
Obviously taking a vette to the track is out of question.

Actually there seems to be an owner on the vette forums who had his C7 grenade at an HPDE and GM is not honoring the warranty.

So yes, tracking a vette is out of the question.

Pretty standard and well known I thought - tracking a car voids the warranty and if there is an accident it is not covered by standard auto insurance  :huh:.

r0tor

Actually an accident at an HPDE usually is covered by standard auto insurance as it is specified as not racing.  One would think reaching a speed of 98mph would also not void your engine warranty... Especially when there is a known issue.

hotrodalex

It's not what speed you reach, it's the strain on the engine. And I highly doubt an insurance company would be happy to pay out on an accident there.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: GoCougs on September 09, 2014, 04:52:14 PM
Pretty standard and well known I thought - tracking a car voids the warranty and if there is an accident it is not covered by standard auto insurance  :huh:.
RITE! Ford provides a line lock on new Mustangs but it voids the warranty if used! So I guess Mustangs are untrackable too.....    :nutty:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide