Top Gear Christmas special goes down to Argentina

Started by Mustangfan2003, September 22, 2014, 06:01:57 PM

Mustangfan2003

68_427

Hope it's good.  The new season was put back till March now I believe.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on September 22, 2014, 06:01:57 PM
Should be interesting.  Let's see if Jeremy can avoid mentioning The Falklands

War is on the horizon. No way they can avoid a diplomatic row at the very least.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

AutobahnSHO

Will

Northlands

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on September 22, 2014, 06:29:56 PM
War is on the horizon. No way they can avoid a diplomatic row at the very least.

Sounds like Britain's plan is to provoke the Argentinians first by sending down JC.  :lol:

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

SVT666

Why is there such a delay between seasons this time?  Are they running out of ideas or are they having to re-shoot scenes because they got leaked, like the fake car accident they staged?

280Z Turbo

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Rupert on September 23, 2014, 08:17:28 PM
South America Special

I didn't think that was bad, except that Hammond intentionally let his Land Cruiser roll down the hill.

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

SVT666

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on September 23, 2014, 04:46:21 PM
When did they jump the shark?
The India Special was when things started heading downhill.  Top Gear has always had elements that were set up and fabricated for laughs, but they were never as blatant as they were in the India Special. Every scene was embarrassingly awful. The scene I remember as being the worst was when the winch ripped the bumper off of Hammond's car.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: SVT666 on September 23, 2014, 10:46:58 PM
The India Special was when things started heading downhill.  Top Gear has always had elements that were set up and fabricated for laughs, but they were never as blatant as they were in the India Special. Every scene was embarrassingly awful. The scene I remember as being the worst was when the winch ripped the bumper off of Hammond's car.

Bingo.

The signs on the train did it for me.

Mustangfan2003

And here we go

QuoteWhich is why it's absolutely hilarious that the Porsche 928 that Clarkson's been piloting through Argentina's Patagonia region has been festooned with a license plate that reads "H982 FKL."

Or, "1982 Falklands," if you're squinting more deeply than you ever have in your life, and also you're really upset about losing a war and never gaining control of islands you never owned in the first place and which is filled with inhabitants who really don't want to live with you anyways.

http://jalopnik.com/jeremy-clarkson-master-level-troll-trolls-entire-nati-1641630169

Raza

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on September 23, 2014, 08:27:09 PM
I didn't think that was bad, except that Hammond intentionally let his Land Cruiser roll down the hill.

I loved the South America special. 

Do you guys not get that it's entertainment?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Northlands

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.

Northlands

Quote from: Raza  on October 02, 2014, 09:11:44 PM

It's great. I guess some want realism. I watch these specials and wish I had been right there with them.

Rupert

Of course we do. It's just not entertaining anymore.

Mustangfan2003

Byteme

SVT666

The Bolivia Special is my favourite after the Vietnam Special, but even though Hammond let his truck intentionally crash on it's own, and the perilous passing attempt on the cliff was obviously set up and was one of the Top Gear camera trucks, the choreographed and intentionally set up scenes didn't feel set up or intentional.  The India Special was hard to enjoy because every scene felt fake.  The "Source of the Nile" Special was much bettter than India, but there were still some scenes that were uncomfortable to watch because of how blatantly set up they felt.  For the most part, I still really enjoy Top Gear and it's still the show I look forward to most every year, but they need to do something to freshen it up, because the shtick is starting to get stale.

Onslaught

I agree. It's always been set up and fake but they did a much better job of pulling it off to not look fake. Now it's just like the don't give a crap anymore. Still watch all the shows however.

Mustangfan2003

So I'm guessing the Christmas special is off. 

Northlands

Yup. People had to know JC was going to do something like this.

Payman

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on October 03, 2014, 03:34:16 PM
So I'm guessing the Christmas special is off. 

No way. They'll either finish it up in Chile, or if they're brave, the Falklands. I doubt the latter, and fear the British Gov't might try to reel in the BBC to prevent any further embarrassing international incidents.

Byteme

Quote from: Rockraven on October 04, 2014, 07:33:48 AM
No way. They'll either finish it up in Chile, or if they're brave, the Falklands. I doubt the latter, and fear the British Gov't might try to reel in the BBC to prevent any further embarrassing international incidents.
I think they will end the special by stating circumstances prevented hem from reaching their goal and then show some footage of the riot action, much like the gas station segment in the Miami to NO special.

Payman

Quote from: CLKid on October 04, 2014, 09:04:38 AM
I think they will end the special by stating circumstances prevented hem from reaching their goal and then show some footage of the riot action, much like the gas station segment in the Miami to NO special.

That scene was blatantly set up. A truckload of rednecks showing up in some 30 seconds to beat up some obnoxious Brits? Still funny though. "...and now, we're going to die."

Byteme

Quote from: Rockraven on October 04, 2014, 09:15:25 AM
That scene was blatantly set up. A truckload of rednecks showing up in some 30 seconds to beat up some obnoxious Brits? Still funny though. "...and now, we're going to die."

What?  You mean the lady who said she was "Going to call the boys" was reading lines!!    My faith in Top Gear as being a documentary show is now ruined.  Hopefully that's the only thing in the show that was ever set up or rehearsed. 

Kidding of course.     :lol: ;)

Onslaught

Quote from: Rockraven on October 04, 2014, 09:15:25 AM
Set up but not 100% unrealistic. There are lots of places I'd never go to way down south. I'd almost rather walk through Detroit.

hotrodalex