Hell has frozen over.

Started by Onslaught, October 02, 2014, 06:23:47 AM

Onslaught

image sharing

This is a first for me. The first car I've ever owned not made by Mazda. The first car I've owned that's an automatic. And to top it all off it's a damn Ford. My father just purchased a brand new F-150 this week and the dealership was only going to give him $1,500 for his 2000 F-150 as a trade in.
See that the thing is in absolute perfect condition without a dent or scratch on it and has never been in one accident I decided that $1,500 for a used Ford was better then $30K + on a new Nissan Frontier. So here it is, my "New" to me Ford truck. I'm getting new floor mats and perhaps a new driver seat /cushion cover. And an iPod adapter for the radio.  Other then that it's staying the same.

It still sound strange saying I own a Ford seeing how much I hate working on these things.

FoMoJo

:lol:

Your father is much wiser in regards to vehicles than you are. :ohyeah:
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Onslaught

Quote from: FoMoJo on October 02, 2014, 06:28:36 AM
:lol:

Your father is much wiser in regards to vehicles than you are. :ohyeah:
Actually my mom is the Ford person in the family. My dad likes Chevy and still has his 78 Chevy truck.
He got this F-150 at cost because we worked at a ford dealer back then. He was looking at replacing it with a new GMC but was frighten off by all the recalls those things get.

AutobahnSHO

$1500?????????????????????????   Someone is nuts!!

Congrats on the purchase, nothing wrong with having a work beater!
Will

FoMoJo

Quote from: Onslaught on October 02, 2014, 07:23:17 AM
Actually my mom is the Ford person in the family. My dad likes Chevy and still has his 78 Chevy truck.
He got this F-150 at cost because we worked at a ford dealer back then. He was looking at replacing it with a new GMC but was frighten off by all the recalls those things get.
I stand corrected.  Your mother is the wiser one.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

Northlands

Congrats! That's a hell of a specimen for $1500 bucks. If I found an F-150 around here for that price and condition, I'd be all over it too.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

FoMoJo

Northlands

I think that's an 8. I think I see the Triton emblem underneath the F-150 XLT badges.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.

MX793

I don't think xlts came with anything other than a V8.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

AutobahnSHO

Will

GoCougs

Quote from: Onslaught on October 02, 2014, 07:23:17 AM

Hopefully he didn't go Ecoboost - that hasn't gone well at all for Ford.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Onslaught on October 02, 2014, 08:25:07 AM
V8 and 4WD
It looks in really good shape.  Hope it works well for you.

Payman

Over the next little while you'll come to appreciate how useful it is. Owning a truck makes life easier for a homeowner. Need some 4x8 sheetrock, have to buy a new refrigerator, need to haul trash to the dump, etc...

Speed_Racer

That's a really clean truck! I'm sure it'll come in handy

Pancor

Incredible shape, and a hell of a price!

Onslaught

Quote from: Rockraven on October 02, 2014, 08:51:55 AM
Over the next little while you'll come to appreciate how useful it is. Owning a truck makes life easier for a homeowner. Need some 4x8 sheetrock, have to buy a new refrigerator, need to haul trash to the dump, etc...
Oh I ready know. I do lots of gardening and outdoor stuff here. I was ways using his truck for that and hated it. This will help me get my shop ready to work on the miata too. So many times I'd see a nice pice of shop equipment for sale on craigslist but wouldn't go buy it because I didn't feel comfortable using someone's truck for a 2+ hour drive. Now I can just go buy it.

Byteme

Sweet deal on that truck.  How many miles on it?   

Believe it or not you'll soon be looking for reasons to drive it instead of the car.  Do the routine maintenance and that truck will out live you. 

If you are thinking of adding an aux jack to the radio try the unit Crutchfield sells.  It installs easily and works well.  As an alternative you can just as easily replace the stock radio with an aftermarket unit that has an aux jack.

SVT666

Congrats man.  If I could find a deal like that I would be all over it.  You will come to appreciate how damn good Ford trucks are.

Byteme

Amen.  So much stuff you can't do with a car or SUV.

I've hauled:

1,500 lbs of river rock here times,
45 railroad ties (not all at once),
sheetrock,
furniture
lumber,
plants,
soil,
mulch,
yard waste,
cabinets,
doors,
plumbing supplies.

The list is endless. 

Submariner

My cousin has that model in a crew cab.  It's a surprisingly comfortable vehicle to drive and felt much more solid than a 180k mile vehicle should.  Your's looks like it's in even better shape.  Congrats on the purchase. 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Northlands

Ever since I sold my wife's '02 Accent I've been eyeballing inexpensive pick up trucks for this reason. Even if I only use it a dozen or so times a year it would be worth it.

FlatBlackCaddy

Very clean, and a hell of a deal. Sounds like the dealership was being "generous" as usual with trade in values. :rolleyes:

GoCougs

Periodically I've thought about going back to car + truck combo. I've done it twice in the past (my last truck was a '97 Tacoma). Thing is I no longer do anything on the house or in the yard save for the odd hobby project (like a new train layout) so this would mostly be a recreational rig - mountain biking/skiing/hiking/etc. I get along fine with the G37X but it does take a bit of a beating - I'm getting a lot of road rash, gravel divots, pitting on the windshield and have had to have it aligned a number of times. The 2nd gen Tacoma I'm not too interested in - 10 years on and it's still the same truck. The 1st gen Tacoma like I had was a quite a crude vehicle and the V6 model is high maintenance. I'd love me a Silverado or Sierra with the 403 hp 6.2L but that is an awfully large vehicle.

CJ

Those trucks drive surprisingly nice, and that one is in phenomenal condition.

mzziaz

So, your dad is as anal about cars as you are.

Good for you.
Cuore Sportivo

Onslaught

Quote from: mzziaz on October 02, 2014, 01:19:15 PM
So, your dad is as anal about cars as you are.

Good for you.
My mom and dad. So I got a double dose of it. When my mom sold her Bronco it looked just like the day it was purchased from the dealer.

SJ_GTI

Nice congrats. Would trade my truck for that one in a NY minute (and I have really liked the truck I bought so far).

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CLKid on October 02, 2014, 10:29:45 AM
Amen.  So much stuff you can't do with a car or SUV.

I've hauled:

1,500 lbs of river rock here times,
45 railroad ties (not all at once),
sheetrock,
furniture
lumber,
plants,
soil,
mulch,
yard waste,
cabinets,
doors,
plumbing supplies.

The list is endless. 

I've hauled 1000lbs of bricks at one time, and everything else to build a two story shed out in the woods. With my Accent and a $300 trailer.
So I don't know who needs a truck.
I'd still jump on a piece of shit F150 for $1500. Hell, anything with 4wd that runs seems to be automatically worth at least $2000 around here.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide