Cooling help please part2

Started by AutobahnSHO, October 02, 2014, 07:14:55 AM

AutobahnSHO

I sat with the hood open a few minutes, let it cool off.
(I happened to be in an industrial area that's still under development, next to the "Delta Baggage Control Center" ((like 20miles from the nearest airport, weird)) and some lady parks her explorer in the middle of 4 parking spaces, gets a cup of noodles from the back hatch of the truck, and goes inside)

On the way home suddenly the heat turned hot and temp went down to normal, then it bounced up and down but never came back all the way down to normal...     Wife will check with mechanic back in Utah whether he replaced the waterpump or not. I don't think it's the thermostat, it warms up normal and stays at that "normal" temp sometimes.

Thanks guys, will keep y'all posted!
Will

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

2o6

Headgasket's failing. Or water pump is failing.

shp4man

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on October 08, 2015, 07:18:27 AM
I sat with the hood open a few minutes, let it cool off.
(I happened to be in an industrial area that's still under development, next to the "Delta Baggage Control Center" ((like 20miles from the nearest airport, weird)) and some lady parks her explorer in the middle of 4 parking spaces, gets a cup of noodles from the back hatch of the truck, and goes inside)

On the way home suddenly the heat turned hot and temp went down to normal, then it bounced up and down but never came back all the way down to normal...     Wife will check with mechanic back in Utah whether he replaced the waterpump or not. I don't think it's the thermostat, it warms up normal and stays at that "normal" temp sometimes.

Thanks guys, will keep y'all posted!

Do you want to keep fixing this car?  :huh: Is the radiator the origin zillion mile one? Sounds like Subaru shuts down the A/C when the engine overheats, don't know if the programming starts shutting down the engine on severe overheat situations as a fail safe, but you gotta fix this or Subie death is imminent.  ;)

AutobahnSHO

wife says the mechanic had said the headgasket was partially cracked.

Going to get it to the dealership asap. Has 82,000 miles on it but it's a 2005.  Doubt we'll get a break warranty-wise, but it also probably needs t-belt, and the 90-120k services...
Will

CJ

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on October 08, 2015, 11:14:46 AM
wife says the mechanic had said the headgasket was partially cracked.

Going to get it to the dealership asap. Has 82,000 miles on it but it's a 2005.  Doubt we'll get a break warranty-wise, but it also probably needs t-belt, and the 90-120k services...

It won't be cheap, but it'll be good to get everything done.

AutobahnSHO

As suspected, the headgasket needs to be replaced.

They said the overheating issue though is the radiator cap, it's defective so has caused some hoses to collapse (?). $75 for the fix.

We have decided to do the headgasket anyway, and timing belt & waterpump. $2100
Car is 2005, has 82k miles, needs to be ready for duty driving from SC to NY etc...

PS-
They have to order a waterpump?!?!  I would think that the motors are common enough and were used long enough that they would have them in stock..
Will

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Rupert on October 13, 2015, 12:59:33 PM
That seems worth it.

Yeah, it's a little early for the t-belt but they said basically there is no extra labor doing it now.

Even though it's "relatively" low miles for 10yr old car stuff still wears out over time. I'm not about to tackle those jobs. Wife paid the car off in 2010 so it's just free gravy for here out...
Will

shp4man

I thought this was the older Subie. The later model car is worth repairing.

AutobahnSHO

Nah,older got engine swap Dec 2012...
Will

AutobahnSHO

Sigh. Overheats again.

No heat from heater, and normal temperature range, till 15min into my drive. Then it gets hot and heater starts working. Mostly gets hot at idle or low rpms. Downshift to above 2700 and child off quickly.

Supposedly they did water pump...
Will

Eye of the Tiger

What the heck, man. You had all that work done and it didn't do anything?

2o6

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on November 13, 2015, 04:15:42 AM
Sigh. Overheats again.

No heat from heater, and normal temperature range, till 15min into my drive. Then it gets hot and heater starts working. Mostly gets hot at idle or low rpms. Downshift to above 2700 and child off quickly.

Possibly coolant temp sensor? If it's overheating at low RPM's rad fan might not be kicking on.

But I'd take it to your mechanic and complain. You paid like 2k for a job that didn't fix it.

Byteme

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on November 13, 2015, 04:15:42 AM
Sigh. Overheats again.

Well, take it back and let them tell you it's something else. The dealer probably has another boat payment due.    ;)

Seriously, I feel your pain. Overheating problems are hard to diagnose sometimes.  hen they replaced all that other stuff did they replace the thermostat? Flush the cooling system?

AutobahnSHO

It did the same thing on my way to the dealership. I dropped it off, it looked like they were going to pull it in right then. But they called 2-3hrs later and asked what was wrong with it, said it wasn't overheating at all, no coolant issues, fans were turning on and off correctly.

He suspected the gauge is wrong but the car is running fine. (thermostat for radiator is different than sensor for dash?)
They didn't call back today though so we'll see.
Will

AutobahnSHO

BTW thanks for your ideas and help. :lol:
Will

AutobahnSHO

They said there was something plugged in the heater core/ coolant system. So to the tune of $186 they flushed the system including "back-flushed" the heater core.

On the way home (about 30min) it did the same trick. Warms up find but after ~20min of driving at lights or idle the temperature climbs rapidly, then as soon as we start driving again the temp drops. I got it on video when I took it back to them Saturday. Sigh.

On another note, they've detailed it every time we've taken it in. So shiny when it's clean!!!   :rockon:
Will

Eye of the Tiger

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 23, 2015, 06:33:09 AM
Wow. Set it on fire?

NEGATORY.

It's a Subaru, first of all.

Second it's the best car I've ever owned. Only 82k miles. Still shiny. Great condition besides some overheating. Alloy wheels. Spoiler. Tint. Seat heaters. 6cd changer.

Third it's my wife's car, and it's totally completely paid off. No reason whatsoever to get rid of it.
Will

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on November 23, 2015, 06:54:51 AM
NEGATORY.

It's a Subaru, first of all.

Second it's the best car I've ever owned. Only 82k miles. Still shiny. Great condition besides some overheating. Alloy wheels. Spoiler. Tint. Seat heaters. 6cd changer.

Third it's my wife's car, and it's totally completely paid off. No reason whatsoever to get rid of it.

Oh no, I meant the shop that keeps stealing your money. Set it on fire.

MX793

Sounds like whatever is in the clogging it isn't getting completely purged when the flush it and is just re-clogging the core.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

shp4man

Sounds to me like the radiator fan isn't working. Get it to show hot on the guage and see if the fan is running.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: shp4man on November 23, 2015, 07:57:21 AM
Sounds to me like the radiator fan isn't working. Get it to show hot on the guage and see if the fan is running.
INTERMITTENT STICKY RELAY, LOOSE CONNECTOR, OR SHORT TO GROUND.
I bet the $2000 shop did basically zero electric diagnosis, other than saying yeah the fan comes on sometimes.

AutobahnSHO

I hear the fans on. I got out and checked and they're on. :huh:
Will

shp4man

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on November 23, 2015, 10:22:17 AM
I hear the fans on. I got out and checked and they're on. :huh:

Was the car running hot when you checked?- it has to be messing up when you check. The a/c may turn the fans on, is the a/c on when it overheats?, there may even be a code in PCM memory- dont know if Subaru has that or not.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: shp4man on November 23, 2015, 11:12:22 AM
Was the car running hot when you checked?- it has to be messing up when you check. The a/c may turn the fans on, is the a/c on when it overheats?, there may even be a code in PCM memory- dont know if Subaru has that or not.

Yes the car was overheating when I popped the hood. Yes the fans turn on when the a/c is on, whether the car is warmed up yet or not.
A/C has been off when it's been overheating. But I tried turning it on to see if it makes a difference. Nope.

Overheating is directly related to low idle. I pointed out that some of y'all said it sounds like fan impellers are damaged, they'll check it hopefully. (No I didn't name names or even reveal the secrets of the 'Spin)
Will

Byteme

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on November 23, 2015, 01:29:06 PM
Yes the car was overheating when I popped the hood. Yes the fans turn on when the a/c is on, whether the car is warmed up yet or not.
A/C has been off when it's been overheating. But I tried turning it on to see if it makes a difference. Nope.

Overheating is directly related to low idle. I pointed out that some of y'all said it sounds like fan impellers are damaged, they'll check it hopefully. (No I didn't name names or even reveal the secrets of the 'Spin)

Years ago I had a Mustang II.  One day it started acting really odd.  The temp gauge would slowly start climbing get to thye red and then fall back to normal.  Sometimes, not always, at the same time the radio would get a bit staticy when the indicated temperature on the gauge was moving up.  I tried everything and finally found the cause.  A poor engine to body ground. 

AutobahnSHO

They said they can't get it to overheat (we took it back Saturday).

here's the video on my way back there. I was at a light then at 0:37 I paused it and started recording again as I slowed to another light.
I don't know why Youtube flipped it sideways- I held the phone landscape-wise. :huh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzK5JdXKFi8
Will

giant_mtb

I had something similar happen in my Monte Carlo.  Gauge would say it was overheating even though it never actually was. It confused the mechanics just as much. Turned out to be some sensor fault.