Cooling help please part2

Started by AutobahnSHO, October 02, 2014, 07:14:55 AM

AutobahnSHO

Car has been good since last thread
http://www.carspin.net/index.php?topic=29977.0

So a few days back I turned on the heater and noticed the temp gauge get higher than normal. Played with shoving from cold to hot and back and it went back to normal.

This morning car heated up and no amount of adjusting the heater fixed anything. Pulled off when it got to the top. Wife came and I stole her car to get to work, she waited till it cooled off and started driving but it heated up right away again. She let it cool then drove it the rest of the way home. (only like 3-4miles to home total from where I left it.)

:rage:

-There was some coolant coming out of the radiator cap, didn't notice any anywhere else.
-reservoir was normal (3/4 full)
-no warm air ever came out of heater this morning
-everything else seems to be running fine.

Any ideas??? Do I need to take it to a shop? (or small duplex neighborhood says "no car repairs" but if it's just a thermostat.........)
Thanks in advance.!
Will

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Soup DeVille

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

AutobahnSHO

Think the thermostat is stuck closed so never sending to the radiator????
Why woudln't the heater work at all??????

OH both fans were on when I popped the hood, so they work.
Will

FoMoJo

The heater doesn't work when there's not coolant circulating in it.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

MX793

Bubble in the system?  A friend had the same symptoms in his WRX and that's what it ended up being.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: MX793 on October 02, 2014, 08:15:39 AM
Bubble in the system?  A friend had the same symptoms in his WRX and that's what it ended up being.

That's what it was last time- in the heater again?????    SIGH.
Will

Speed_Racer

If you keep getting air your coolant, there's a gap somewhere in the system. Take a look for tears or bad fittings along the lines.

Secret Chimp

Take the cap off, run the car until it comes up to temp. The top hose should be hot and you should be able to see coolant flowing through the top tank toward where the hose attaches. If coolant's not moving and the top hose isn't hot, the coolant level should still suck down some if you blip the gas with the cap off. If it does, then it's probably the thermostat. If it doesn't, your water pump impeller is gone.

Also come on pulling off only after you peg the gauge? Turning the heater on never saved anybody from an overheating situation. It's a bandage to keep you rolling.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Secret Chimp on October 02, 2014, 11:19:46 AM
Also come on pulling off only after you peg the gauge? Turning the heater on never saved anybody from an overheating situation. It's a bandage to keep you rolling.

I was running the heater before it started to get warm. Didn't pull over because there wasn't anywhere safe to do so. (4lane road, no shoulder)
Will

Soup DeVille

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on October 02, 2014, 07:55:26 AM

Could also be a stuck heater bypass valve, but that in general wont cause your temperature gauge to fluctuate.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

AutobahnSHO

so, crazy enough, I turned the car around to point up a 2% or so hill. Popped the cap, it was down some, put about 1/4 gallon in. I *guess* it leaked out when it was overheating.

Start it up, it indeed rose about 1/2 inch every time I blipped. So I let it run a while till it got to full temp (cap still off) and only poured a little more in, temp stayed right where it was supposed to. Then it started to overflow a tiny bit, so I shut it off, capped it, went for a short drive, on some really hilly low speed neighborhoods, no overheating, even with a/c on.

And the heater worked again. ?!?!?!?!

Noticed the alt/ power steering belt is frayed and missing small chunks, so drove to Autozone, then groceries, still no overheating, even up big long steep hills.

So weird. (to me)
Will

Eye of the Tiger

Just driving to Auto Zone isn't going to fix the belt. You actually have to go inside and buy a new one, then put it in the car.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 02, 2014, 05:33:28 PM
Just driving to Auto Zone isn't going to fix the belt. You actually have to go inside and buy a new one, then put it in the car.

:clap:

Oh. Well we did the first two steps then....   :lol:
Will

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

mzziaz

Cuore Sportivo

AutobahnSHO

Thread resurrection!!!!!

Ended up parking on a hill and opening/closing heat, refilled radiator, no problems since October, knock on wood!!!
Will

AutobahnSHO

Took Impreza to Fort Gordon to do some minor maintenance.  It had sat unregistered from Feb to September (long story, wife lost title, had to resend to Utah several times), needed a new battery.

1- It's been making a grinding noise in the rear from braking, pads look good I'm assuming it's just rust.
2- rotated tires, all look good
3- It's been making a lot of muffler rattling, I tightened a hoseclamp around the offending heatshield. Weird that it doesn't look like anything is missing, bent or broken- but it's after the y-pipe before the cat. And lose as lose gets...

4- As I was finishing my drive in this morning it approached overheating again. I drove ok for the highway drive (60deg weather) but as I puttered down the 2miles of 25mph street (no stops) it got 3/4 hot. I turned the heater on and as I got around a corner into 35mph zone it cooled down some, I think the acceleration helped?? 
-Maybe there is a blockage in the cooling system?? It only seems to go down in temp at higher revs. ?!?!?!?!

Sigh.!
Will

Eye of the Tiger

shp4man

Modern cars need a vacuum cooling system refill. This involves a vacuum pull down and refill. So sorry, but it's not 1985 anymore. 

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: shp4man on October 07, 2015, 01:01:06 PM
Modern cars need a vacuum cooling system refill. This involves a vacuum pull down and refill. So sorry, but it's not 1985 anymore.

Screw that. Jack up the radiator cap a few extra feet, and drive a new car underneath it.

shp4man

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 07, 2015, 01:07:49 PM
Screw that. Jack up the radiator cap a few extra feet, and drive a new car underneath it.

Won't work.

MX793

Maybe something with the water pump?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Eye of the Tiger

MX793

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 07, 2015, 02:39:22 PM
Water pump must have VTEC. :rastaman:

Wondering if there's something going on with the impeller.
Needs more Jiggawatts

AutobahnSHO

I will check on the fans- they should turn on when car is turned on and A/C is on, right?
Will

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on October 07, 2015, 05:41:06 PM
I will check on the fans- they should turn on when car is turned on and A/C is on, right?

Many cars will have two ekectric fans, one for the radiator, and one for the AC evaporator. They will cycle on and off, as needed.

But you said before (a year ago) the fans were working:

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on October 02, 2014, 07:55:26 AM

AutobahnSHO

10minutes into my drive, cold air coming out with heat all the way up. Temp gauge spiked almost to the top. Pull over, fans are both running (a/c off), coolant reserve has overflowed some...

Argh!
Will

MX793

Sounds like a blockage or another air bubble.  Did you pressure test the system to make sure you don't have a leak somewhere that's allowing air into the system?
Needs more Jiggawatts

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: MX793 on October 08, 2015, 06:25:57 AM
Sounds like a blockage or another air bubble.  Did you pressure test the system to make sure you don't have a leak somewhere that's allowing air into the system?

+1, or water pump took a vacation.