Sky pix from the Seattle Auto Show

Started by Laconian, December 04, 2005, 08:47:52 PM

Laconian

Okay, I used my friend's camera for this and he ended up emailing them with high compression and tiny tiny scaling. Lame!

But here is a glimpse of the Sky:

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Raza

Good looking car, but after the disappointment of the Solstice, I just can't help feeling that this car is one bullet short of a six-shooter.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

mazda6er

QuoteGood looking car, but after the disappointment of the Solstice, I just can't help feeling that this car is one bullet short of a six-shooter.
What was disappointing about the Solstice anyway? The tranny?  
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

Raza

QuoteGood looking car, but after the disappointment of the Solstice, I just can't help feeling that this car is one bullet short of a six-shooter.
The fact that it fell short against the MX-5.  It's slower, heavier, less practical, and doesn't handle as well (from what I read).  The GXP version sounds promising, but the Sky doesn't have anything to differentiate itself from the not-really-an-MX5-beater Solstice other than its superior looks.  For me, looks alone isn't enough to buy it over the MX-5.  Though, damn, it does look good.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

mazda6er

The fact that it fell short against the MX-5.  It's slower, heavier, less practical, and doesn't handle as well (from what I read).  The GXP version sounds promising, but the Sky doesn't have anything to differentiate itself from the not-really-an-MX5-beater Solstice other than its superior looks.  For me, looks alone isn't enough to buy it over the MX-5.  Though, damn, it does look good.
Oh. My understanding was that any differences in those areas were minimal. In fact  C/D gave the Solstice a better handling score. I just remember something to the effect of poor gear ratios (not from C/D).
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

Laconian

Were I to buy a new roadster, the looks of the Sky alone would certainly be a compelling factor for me to go Saturn. If the Sky was a shitbucket compared to the MX-5, I would just write it off as pretty but ultimately undesirable. If, however, they are very similar dynamically, I would be willing to take a small handling hit for the cosmetic appeal the Sky holds for me.

I know I wouldn't grow tired of gazing at it in my driveway.

giant_mtb

I've never seen anything Exactly like that before!!!!  :o  <_<  

ichi_ban1

Very nice looking vehicle. The looks alone draw me to the car. I hope it performs as well as it looks, if so, I may take a trip to the Saturn dealer.

Wake up and Drive an EVO

Raza

QuoteAt the racetrack, the Solstice lagged 1.21 seconds per lap behind the MX-5, in part because its tail proved less willing to rotate. For the most part, the Pontiac displayed just one handling trait, understeer, and we feared it might be a dull dance partner in the hills of Ohio.

QuoteBy the way, the Solstice we tested in October achieved 60 mph in 7.2 seconds, putting it a half-second behind this latest MX-5?about what we'd expect for its power-to-weight ratio. But the Solstice in this test kept pace with the Mazda, up until third gear, at least. Based on our results, buyers should accept that, despite some variations, a Solstice will always be a few ticks behind an MX-5 in acceleration.

QuoteWe noticed some obvious gear-ratio gaps, especially between second and third, where it was easy to catch the engine snoozing.

It's a good car, no doubt--and I'd love to own the Sky.  It's possibly the best looking car under 40 grand on the market.  But, if I did buy one, I'd always have this nagging in the back of my mind that I could have bought a better car.  I have that now, and it makes you insane.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

MX793

QuoteAt the racetrack, the Solstice lagged 1.21 seconds per lap behind the MX-5, in part because its tail proved less willing to rotate. For the most part, the Pontiac displayed just one handling trait, understeer, and we feared it might be a dull dance partner in the hills of Ohio.

QuoteBy the way, the Solstice we tested in October achieved 60 mph in 7.2 seconds, putting it a half-second behind this latest MX-5?about what we'd expect for its power-to-weight ratio. But the Solstice in this test kept pace with the Mazda, up until third gear, at least. Based on our results, buyers should accept that, despite some variations, a Solstice will always be a few ticks behind an MX-5 in acceleration.

QuoteWe noticed some obvious gear-ratio gaps, especially between second and third, where it was easy to catch the engine snoozing.

It's a good car, no doubt--and I'd love to own the Sky.  It's possibly the best looking car under 40 grand on the market.  But, if I did buy one, I'd always have this nagging in the back of my mind that I could have bought a better car.  I have that now, and it makes you insane.
Ah, the unwillingness to oversteer.  Another side effect of the very wide tires GM opted to put on the car.  If the car only had 215s on it, I'm sure it would be more willing to swing the tail around...

Personally, the only complaint about the Solstice that would really sway me from it is the gearing issue.  That, I think, would really get on my nerves.  I hope the Sky gets revised gear ratios.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Raza

Or a 6 speed, that would fix everyone's problems, I think.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Catman

QuoteVery nice looking vehicle. The looks alone draw me to the car. I hope it performs as well as it looks, if so, I may take a trip to the Saturn dealer.
Welcome to the forum dude.  I agree on the looks, it's sharp.

Tom

QuoteVery nice looking vehicle. The looks alone draw me to the car. I hope it performs as well as it looks, if so, I may take a trip to the Saturn dealer.
Welcome to the forums.  That's a nice garage you got there ;)  :rockon:  

MX793

QuoteOr a 6 speed, that would fix everyone's problems, I think.
A 6 speed won't fix anything if the ratios aren't properly matched, which is the problem with the current 5 speed.  A 5 speed works just fine (especially with a torquey 2.4L motor) so long as the gears are spaced to keep the power in the meat of the powerband.  The Solstice's gearbox is apparently not spaced properly and the motor falls out of the power band (IIRC, the gap between 2nd and 3rd gear is too large).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Raza

QuoteOr a 6 speed, that would fix everyone's problems, I think.
A 6 speed won't fix anything if the ratios aren't properly matched, which is the problem with the current 5 speed.  A 5 speed works just fine (especially with a torquey 2.4L motor) so long as the gears are spaced to keep the power in the meat of the powerband.  The Solstice's gearbox is apparently not spaced properly and the motor falls out of the power band (IIRC, the gap between 2nd and 3rd gear is too large).
That's true, but the 6 speed will give you the ability to move your ratios closer together, but still have a gear tall enough for comfortable highway cruising.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Hey ichi ban, didn't even notice that you were new--hope you don't think me rude.

Welcome.  This is a good place.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Colonel Cadillac

I remember reading that the Solstice's dynamics were slighty inferior to the MX5's, but it looked much better and was still very, very pleasing to drive. I certainly not feel bad that I bought the "inferior car" especially by such a small margin. The looks make up for it, and I have to admit, gazing at my car in the driveway is good fun.  

Laconian

QuoteI remember reading that the Solstice's dynamics were slighty inferior to the MX5's, but it looked much better and was still very, very pleasing to drive. I certainly not feel bad that I bought the "inferior car" especially by such a small margin. The looks make up for it, and I have to admit, gazing at my car in the driveway is good fun.
You bought a Solstice?

mazda6er

QuoteI remember reading that the Solstice's dynamics were slighty inferior to the MX5's, but it looked much better and was still very, very pleasing to drive. I certainly not feel bad that I bought the "inferior car" especially by such a small margin. The looks make up for it, and I have to admit, gazing at my car in the driveway is good fun.
You bought a Solstice?
That's what it sounds like, but I'm pretty sure he didn't. He's 17 or something.
--Mark

Raza

You bought a Solstice?
That's what it sounds like, but I'm pretty sure he didn't. He's 17 or something.
He's talking hypothetically.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

GMPenguin

You bought a Solstice?
I didn't note any sarcasm, so I think he meant, "I'd certainly not feel bad that I bought the 'inferior car' especially by such a small margin." ^_^

Anyway, the Sky is gorgeous, and while the Solstice may not be better than the MX-5, I agree with Colonel and definitley would not feel bad about having bought it.

ichi_ban1

Thank you for the welcome.

Anyways, I like that the sky resembles the Vauxhall VX220, which as we all know, is another division of GM. I've been a fan of that car for a while (through video games, magazines, etc.)

Wake up and Drive an EVO

Raza

QuoteThank you for the welcome.

Anyways, I like that the sky resembles the Vauxhall VX220, which as we all know, is another division of GM. I've been a fan of that car for a while (through video games, magazines, etc.)

In the same way a Cobalt is second cousin to a Z06.

The Vauxhall VX220/Opel Speedster is based on the the Lotus Elise (even built by Lotus, if I recall correctly) and the Elise is one amazing machine.  I still have my drive of it bouncing around in my head, to this day.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

giant_mtb

The Vauxhall VX220/Opel Speedster is based on the the Lotus Elise (even built by Lotus, if I recall correctly) and the Elise is one amazing machine.  I still have my drive of it bouncing around in my head, to this day.
So the Sky is the Elise's second cousin?  :blink:  :D  

TBR

I am very disappointed that the Solstice didn't bring anything to the table besides a high level of stability on highways and good looks (which aren't that good imho), hopefully the Sky will be a different story.

Raza

So the Sky is the Elise's second cousin?  :blink:  :D
The Solstice and Sky are based on an all new Opel chassis that is not related in any way to the Elise/Speedster/VX220.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Shane

Huh?  

SJ_GTI

Interesting that raza quotes almost an entire paragraph, and then "forgets" to leave off the last sentence. Let me fix it for him.

Quotewe feared it might be a dull dance partner in the hills of Ohio. Boy, were we wrong.

And while we are at it, why not let them finish their thought...

QuoteThe Solstice offers sharp, predictable turn-in, and its chassis is simply unflappable, even over murderous pavement. The car tracks better than the MX-5, there's no bump steer, and the front wheels constantly engage in a useful dialogue with the driver. On scary backwoods roads, where you suddenly don't know why a turn has gone off-camber and is drastically tightening, it's the Solstice that calmly says, "Listen, dude, if you want to stay on the gas, I'll scrub speed for you at the nose, but if you want to jump out of the throttle and stab the brakes, well, I'll just slow down, okay? "We didn't time our runs around the Ring, but  the Solstice was almost certainly quicker than the MX-5. Why? Because confidence equals speed.

So I gues the Solstice isn't as bad as you thought Raza. I am sure you are glad to find this out since you are such a fair-mind, un-biased person.

Raza

Eh, I made a comment then proceeded to selectively quote to support it.  It's a tactic I learned in high school.  I did go on to say that I really liked it, but that the MX-5 seems to be the better car.  I seemed to be reading everywhere that the Solstice is good, but not as good, so I grabbed the most convenient quote to back me up.  

From Automobile (and in the spirit of full disclosure, of course):

The major downer is weight. Mazda engineers whittled and shaved the MX-5 until they got it down to a svelte 2489 pounds. The Solstice has a 20 percent larger engine and casts a 5 percent larger shadow, but the fast-build process allowed no time for dieting, so it hugs the road with 2879 pounds. The extra weight pushes the 0-to-60-mph run over seven seconds and adds deliberation to the Solstice's best moves. Third gear is sluggish. Less is always more when you're talking sports cars and curb weight. Fortunately, there's a 250-hp turbo Solstice warming up in the wings to take full advantage of all the substance engineered into this chassis.

So where does this leave the Solstice versus the MX-5? The featherlight MX-5 wins most performance categories, but the margins of victory aren't enough to matter. Visually, there's no contest: the Mazda is the spitting image of its 1989 forefather, the Solstice a 1955 California Special sports racer buffed up for life in the current millennium. Odd as it may seem, our crystal ball says that Hollywood starlets-in-waiting soon will be lining up at Pontiac dealers.

The crux of the matter is which roadster delivers the better drive.

Consider the MX-5 the hummingbird of the two, bursting with nervous energy, buzzing with anticipation for the chase, always hinting "Let's go!" through a hyperactive steering wheel. It's delightfully light on its toes and begs to be tossed into every bend. Consistent with Mazda's zoom-zoom prerogatives, the new MX-5 is tuned to entertain, with an engine that wails the high notes, a resilient structure, and an underdamped suspension. With lighthearted driving fun as its only priority, the MX-5 expects the driver to pay attention and to supply timely corrections. This is the Lotus Elan that won't stain your garage floor or leave you stranded.

The Solstice is, by comparison, a barn swallow, smooth and swift in low-level flight, highly agile, able to zig-zag at speed. It has fine feathers and a subtly sweet song. But what we admire most are this bird's heart, soul, and substance. The spaceframe provides an unyielding stage for the steering and suspension to shine. The two-way communication through the wheel is in the enthusiast's exclusive dialect. The damping is dead dependable, the behavior at the cornering limit rewarding whether you're a novice driver or an inveterate speed addict. This is the Pontiac that thinks it's a Porsche.

So, is it a good car?  Yes.  Is it a better car than the MX-5?  Probably not.  So you can keep your sarcasm.  But how is a car that is significantly slower around a track a better track car?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SJ_GTI

QuoteEh, I made a comment then proceeded to selectively quote to support it.  It's a tactic I learned in high school.  I did go on to say that I really liked it, but that the MX-5 seems to be the better car.
Its a better sports car, but I am not convinced its a better car.

The Miata is a more "pure" sports car than the S2000, Z4, and SLK as well, but I doubt most people would say its a better car than any of those.

Now that doesn't mean I think the Solstice is better either...just a different blend of car. The Solstice seems more like an S2000/Z4 type of car than a Miata/MR2.

When I bought my Z3, by your definition I bought an inferior car to the Miata, and paid more to do so! But given the same decision against I would take the Z3 every time.