Paint matching

Started by 280Z Turbo, October 09, 2014, 01:26:59 PM

280Z Turbo

I had a little fender bender due to a deceptively hilly driveway that sent my car (without me in it) between two trees, barely scraping one of them. :hammerhead:

Since the damage was purely cosmetic, I decided to fix it myself. I got a used door and fender. The fender had some chipped paint on the lip. I brought it to a body shop and I figured they would do a spot repair and blend it in. The ended up painting the whole damn fender and it doesn't match at all. It might as well be purple instead of Titanium Silver.

I knew that silver was hard to match, but I didn't expect them to paint it all. I also didn't expect it to be so far off.

Is there any possibility of getting a good match or do I just have to buy another damn fender with a factory paint job?

Byteme

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on October 09, 2014, 01:26:59 PM
I had a little fender bender due to a deceptively hilly driveway that sent my car (without me in it) between two trees, barely scraping one of them. :hammerhead:

Since the damage was purely cosmetic, I decided to fix it myself. I got a used door and fender. The fender had some chipped paint on the lip. I brought it to a body shop and I figured they would do a spot repair and blend it in. The ended up painting the whole damn fender and it doesn't match at all. It might as well be purple instead of Titanium Silver.

I knew that silver was hard to match, but I didn't expect them to paint it all. I also didn't expect it to be so far off.

Is there any possibility of getting a good match or do I just have to buy another damn fender with a factory paint job?
Take it back and tell them to do it right.  I hope you put the charge on your credit card.  If they give you the brush off tell them you are going to dispute the charge.  Try the nice approach first though.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: CLKid on October 10, 2014, 01:37:18 PM
Take it back and tell them to do it right.  I hope you put the charge on your credit card.  If they give you the brush off tell them you are going to dispute the charge.  Try the nice approach first though.

Agreed, while generally paint never matches(certainly not well enough to panel paint) they should have explained to you what they were going to do and the expected outcome to assure that you would be happy with it.

If they failed to do that then they should either give you your money back so you can go and get it fixed or redo it to your satisfaction. I ALWAYS tell people that paint won't match before I sell them any.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on October 10, 2014, 01:47:30 PM
Agreed, while generally paint never matches(certainly not well enough to panel paint) they should have explained to you what they were going to do and the expected outcome to assure that you would be happy with it.

If they failed to do that then they should either give you your money back so you can go and get it fixed or redo it to your satisfaction. I ALWAYS tell people that paint won't match before I sell them any.

Well, I knew it might be an issue, but I didn't expect them to paint the whole thing.

Onslaught

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on October 10, 2014, 01:49:00 PM
Well, I knew it might be an issue, but I didn't expect them to paint the whole thing.
They do clear the whole thing one way or the other but usually blend the color. Take it back and have it done again. But be warned, I never let any of my parts have more then three coats of paint/clear on them. If so I sand it all the way down and start over.