Tesla S P85D - quicker than a Panamera Turbo.

Started by S204STi, October 09, 2014, 10:43:18 PM

Laconian

OMG

And that second motor ADDS to the range. How messed up is that?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

MrH

The launch of this thing is unbelievably violent. I'm a huge fan.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Speed_Racer

Laconian

Laconian

Tesla's an amazing company. They're constantly one-upping in cases where other American manufacturers seek comfortable profits in feature parity and cheap incrementalism. It's crazy that they're being this bold with an autopilot.

Eye of the Tiger

Don't forget how fast the Chevy Spark EV is. 16-seconds flat in the 1/4.
go murrica
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Laconian

GoCougs

Quote from: Laconian on October 10, 2014, 09:34:32 AM
AMERICA :neverforget:

Quote from: Laconian on October 10, 2014, 09:38:49 AM
Tesla's an amazing company. They're constantly one-upping in cases where other American manufacturers seek comfortable profits in feature parity and cheap incrementalism. It's crazy that they're being this bold with an autopilot.

You mean government subsidy + irrational exuberance + hyper consumerism ;).

Chevy or Mazda could have done this but no one is going to by a $100,000 Model S from those companies.

A "cheap incremental" Civic or Camry is literally 1,000,000x more beneficial to the market than the Model S, and it will become more so as the IC-powered car becomes more efficient.

Payman

Now Tesla needs to use one of the 188hp motors in a scaled down commuter car with a 400 mile range, and price it at $30,000.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Rockraven on October 10, 2014, 09:57:27 AM
Now Tesla needs to use one of the 188hp motors in a scaled down commuter car with a 400 mile range, and price it at $30,000.

See

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 10, 2014, 09:39:24 AM
Don't forget how fast the Chevy Spark EV is. 16-seconds flat in the 1/4.
go murrica

But 140 HP and 82 mile range for $27K.

If Tesla can beat that, or even double the range, then I will fly to California and drive one back. Over the period of several weeks as I trickle change my way across the country.

Payman

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 10, 2014, 10:04:12 AM
See

If Tesla can beat that, or even double the range, then I will fly to California and drive one back. Over the period of several weeks as I trickle change my way across the country.

The Spark EV is considered the best of the EVs from mainstream automakers, yet Tesla has the potential to make it look silly. The $38,000 Leaf a pathetic joke.

Morris Minor

Tesla takes a lot of heat from the anti subsidies crowd, but hey we're the ones who created the beast - so we should not get too upset with those who come to suckle at its teat.

It's still awesome technology.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

GoCougs

Quote from: Rockraven on October 10, 2014, 09:57:27 AM

Tesla knew what they were doing by targeting the "rich" with the Model S. It's a novelty not a financial move, at any price.

The ~250 mile range battery pack of the Model S costs ~$30,000, and it's an unknown whether Tesla is making any sustainable profit on the Model S.

Laconian

All new Model Ses have the autopilot feature hardware.

Laconian

Quote from: GoCougs on October 10, 2014, 09:54:59 AM
You mean government subsidy + irrational exuberance + hyper consumerism ;).

Chevy or Mazda could have done this but no one is going to by a $100,000 Model S from those companies.

A "cheap incremental" Civic or Camry is literally 1,000,000x more beneficial to the market than the Model S, and it will become more so as the IC-powered car becomes more efficient.

I'm not comparing it to low end cars. Look at the top of the line Cadillacs and Lincolns. The parent companies are orders of magnitude larger, have way more capital, and have been in the business for 20x longer. So why is it that neither company is eager to push the envelope in their flagship/halo products?

GoCougs

Quote from: Laconian on October 10, 2014, 10:50:47 AM
I'm not comparing it to low end cars. Look at the top of the line Cadillacs and Lincolns. The parent companies are orders of magnitude larger, have way more capital, and have been in the business for 20x longer. So why is it that neither company is eager to push the envelope in their flagship/halo products?

They sorta pushed it - the Volt is the best hybrid; plug-in or otherwise; on the market.

Much less risky to develop an ATS than a $100,000 Model S esp. given that Detroit abandoned the luxury flagship/halo long ago.

I'm still convinced that had Chevy built a $100,000 Model S virtually no one would have bought it. Tesla is IMO very much riding the Apple phenomenon.

Payman

Quote from: GoCougs on October 10, 2014, 11:11:35 AM
They sorta pushed it - the Volt is the best hybrid; plug-in or otherwise; on the market.

Much less risky to develop an ATS than a $100,000 Model S esp. given that Detroit abandoned the luxury flagship/halo long ago.

I'm still convinced that had Chevy built a $100,000 Model S virtually no one would have bought it. Tesla is IMO very much riding the Apple phenomenon.

Can't disagree with this.

CALL_911

I tend to agree with that assessment. With that said, I still like the Model S a lot for what it is.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Payman

Battery prices will continue to drop with technology and demand. The new gigafactory alone promises to drop the battery pack cost by 1/3rd.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Rockraven on October 10, 2014, 11:24:36 AM
Battery prices will continue to drop with technology and demand. The new gigafactory alone promises to drop the battery pack cost by 1/3rd.
IDK man people keep saying this... have battery prices actually gone down in price over the last couple of years?

And Elon Musk has done a lot but he talks a lot of shit too. He's a brand evangelist for sure.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Raza

Autopilot mode? You guys are cheering the end of cars.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Payman

Quote from: Raza  on October 10, 2014, 11:38:13 AM
Autopilot mode? You guys are cheering the end of cars.

Don't care for autopilot, or any other nanny that removes the driver element. The EV tech intrigues me though.

MrH

The death of cars is marked by a 3.2 0-60, four door sedan that can pull over a 1g laterally, and basically has independent control of torque vectoring to each individual wheel?  Wat :confused:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

68_427

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 10, 2014, 10:04:12 AM
See

The 2017 Sonic EV will have 200 mi range
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

2o6

It's still a stratospherically expensive product for the very rich, and reliability is still an unknown quantity.

Also, the interior kind of sucks.

Quote from: GoCougs on October 10, 2014, 11:11:35 AM

I agree.

Laconian

$100k is not the stratosphere. Maybe upper troposphere.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 68_427 on October 10, 2014, 11:56:35 AM
The 2017 Sonic EV will have 200 mi range

Damn. I could literally actually go more than a day between charges. Too bad it will likely only sold on the wrong coast.

MexicoCityM3

I love Tesla, but I'd still get an i8 for a few very simple reasons:

a) Not for sale here
b) The infrastructure isn't ready. I couldn't travel far and I do travel far a lot.

If I lived in the People's Republic of California, I'd get one. (If I could afford it.)
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)