Wimmer's Fantasy Mercedes-Benz

Started by cawimmer430, December 06, 2005, 08:26:38 AM

cawimmer430

There are cars that our favourite manufacturer should have made, but didn?t. In our minds, there was a demand for such a car and it was technically feasible to construct it using parts from existing production models. In my case, I have a dangerous addiction to the 1972-1980 W116 S-Class. The design may not appeal to all, but I see history, revolution, elegance and timelessness in this particular shape. Even more, the W116 influenced nearly every Mercedes up until the 1996 W210 E-Class!
Yet, I still feel that Mercedes-Benz didn?t exploit this car to the fullest. Something was lacking. Something that would create a smaller niche market within the ?116 range and give some people that special something they were searching for. I think I found the answer: what was missing was a drop-dead gorgeous COUPE based on the revolutionary W116 design. And I already had a codename by the time I came up with this: C116.

Though it may look like a ?typical Benz? of the past today, the W116 was a design revolution at Stuttgart. It is rare to see the word ?revolutionary? in context with the Mercedes-Benz design department but this car heralded a new design era for the German carmaker and stressed one particular word: conservatism. Nevertheless, compared to its predecessor, the W108 / W019, the W116 seriously looked radically different and ground-breaking at the time: it looked modern. Think of it as the previous E39 BMW 5-series being replaced by the Bangle-styled E60 5-series: radically different and extreme.

The actual coupe variant of the W116 actually derived from the R107 SL, which was also around at the time. It was based on the chassis of the ?107 but was extended for luxury coupe duties and became known internally as the C107: or SLC coupes. The advantages of using an extended R107 platform were many. For one, the R107 had an extremely durable platform design that would prove ideal to maintain that extra weight of the C107?s. The platform was also extended to provide rear occupants of SLC?s with enough leg space: an important feature of two-door luxury coupes at the time. All in all, the SLC models (C107) were basically extended R107 SL?s to put it simply.

My vision was simple: to create a coupe based on the appearance of the W116 S-Class sedans. I was further inspired by the W114 coupes and the C123 coupes which had one thing that I sought the most: a fully visible three-pointed-star at the end of the bonnet (from the driver?s point of view). Further inspirations came from the pillarless design of the W114 coupe and C123. By all means, the pillarless design theme was an ancient Mercedes trademark and my C116 project had to have it no matter what.

What you see here ladies and gentleman are the results of my imagination being channelled through Photoshop. This is my version of what a possible C116 coupe would have looked like. It looks quite real to my surprise (I consider myself a beginner in Photoshop) but I feel I must warn you: this car never existed but is a product of my imagination. The brief C116 coupe history that will now follow is also a product of my imagination involving theory and outright speculation and of course, hard facts. Don?t be confused with sentences in which I use past tense or talk about the car as if it existed: it didn?t.

If we follow tradition, the coupe C116 would probably have appeared sometime in early or mid 1973 a year after the sedans were introduced. Possibly, it would have found favour with the public despite similar looks to the W116 S-Class. Indeed, the only major modifications were the removal of the sedan B-pillars and insertion of the traditional pillarless design look. In my opinion, this creates class: and class was something the W116 sedan was never short on. This extra class would have given the coupes a more graceful and linear appearance compared to the sedans. Bottom line: it would definitely have appealed.

From the start, it was going to be made in small numbers (five digit figures most likely) and targeted at affluent buyers who sought more elegance and individuality or were simply looking for a traditional large cruiser.

Owners who wanted their C116 to give a sporty outward appearance could have specified the 6.5 J x 14 steel rims, which would have been standard on the theoretical 450SE Coupe upwards (and probably optional on the diesel coupe). These rims added a sporty touch to the usually elegant and relaxed C116?s.

For the C116 project, I envisioned the coupe to be available with engines that were naturally obtainable for the W116 S-Class. There was pretty much no need to invest into new engines because the limousines were motorized by a small range of suitable engines. Other engines in the Mercedes inventory at the time were simply too underpowered for this type of work. Only the best went into the C116.

The following engines were a realistic line-up for the coupes:

280SE Coupe (2.8-l inline-6, 180-hp)
350SE Coupe (3.5-l V8, 200-hp)
450SE Coupe (4.5-l V8, 225-hp)
450SE 6.9 Coupe (6.8-l V8, 286-hp)
300SD Turbodiesel Coupe (3.0-l inline-5 Turbodiesel, 115-hp)

The base 280S engine probably had no place in a coupe of this calibre (and wouldn?t have sold well either due to higher class buyer demographics) but fuel-conscious Europeans could theoretically have chosen a base 280SE Coupe model in either 4-speed manual or 4-speed automatic form (remember, this 1970s Europe we?re talking about). The slightly lighter weight of the coupe gave better fuel economy and performance figures compared to the 280SE sedan. Despite this, the 2.8-l motor remains what it was: a base engine offered to satisfy those who derive fun out of relaxed cruising instead of blistering performance. It also would have provided a more economical alternative, especially after the oil shocks of 1973.

Bridging the gap between the base 6-cylinder and 8-cylinder cars was the small displacement 3.5-l V8 motor, here in the form of the 350SE Coupe. Like the 280SE Coupe, it came standard with a 4-speed manual but could be optioned with an automatic upon request. The 350SE sedan was loved by sporty drivers because of the manual transmission option; the same story applies to the 350SE coupe.

Real luxury would have started with the 450SE Coupes. These models had enough power for comfortable cruising and letting others know who the boss was. 450SE Coupes were loved by older buyers who enjoyed V8 refinement and power and the traditional amenities offered by Mercedes-Benz. It was less sporty than the 350SE Coupe but offered a more refined and luxurious feel to it (and a better midrange acceleration punch).

The highlight of the coupes should have been no other than the 450SE 6.9 version. 286-horsepower and a whooping 550 Nm (406 lb/ft) of torque would have made this vehicle the king among luxury coupes in its day. Unmatched in terms of power, luxury and refinement, the 450SE 6.9 Coupe was the car to be seen in if you drowned in money. The lighter weight of the coupe would have given this car even more phenomenal acceleration putting it up in the leagues of true sports cars. Nevertheless, the 450SE 6.9 coupe would still be intended as a luxury cruiser from day one.

Just as the sedan was offered in diesel form (albeit for the North American market only), the coupe may have been offered with the 115-horsepower 3005cc turbocharged 5-cylinder diesel engine mated to a 4-speed automatic. And why not? The C123 coupe was offered in two diesel forms for the North American market (300CD and 300CD Turbodiesel ring a bell?). Based on the motive behind the development of the diesel W116, the C116 Turbodiesel coupe was made for the sake of reducing Mercedes? CAFE fuel economy figures in the North American market. It was no performer, but I could imagine that contemporary owners enjoyed spending less times at the pumps.

In terms of options, the coupes exclusivity would have prompted Mercedes to fit them with better standard equipment. For one, I could see all models being fitted with electric windows. On the 450SE, 450SE 6.9 and 300SD Turbodiesel Coupes, air-conditioning should have been standard and an option on the 280SE and 350SE Coupes. Leather seats were still a luxury back then, even on higher end models and the base seat covering would have been a sort of cloth-texture or a 50-50 cloth-leather combination. Full leather seats in all likelihood would have been a costly Aufpreis option.

The original SLC coupe was sleek and had a lower profile. But for the C116, I preferred a taller approach as I figured it would give the car the elegance of a sedan. And I want to remind viewers of the C116?s roots in the W116. This explains the tallness of the coupe: and in my opinion, I think it suits the car just fine. On a technical note, I am not that good with Photoshop yet so I didn?t want to risk ruining the car.

That ladies and gentlemen concludes my fantasy Mercedes-Benz C116 concept. It sadly never existed. But there?s no law that says dreaming isn?t allowed is there?

Contemporary C116 advertisement...

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Raza

With that window shape and roof line, it looks like a two door stretch limo.  
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

giant_mtb

My mom very dearly wants a 197- 450SL convertible...or something along those lines.  We see about two a year, and she goes into this mode as if she's as into cars as I am...it's entertaining.  They're beautiful cars.

cawimmer430

QuoteWith that window shape and roof line, it looks like a two door stretch limo.
A very '70s look on some coupes. Like I said, I'm still learning with photoshop and I'm not as advanced as CWW, and probably never will be! That guy is amazing!

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

QuoteMy mom very dearly wants a 197- 450SL convertible...or something along those lines.  We see about two a year, and she goes into this mode as if she's as into cars as I am...it's entertaining.  They're beautiful cars.
The R107 SL.  B)

I agree, those are gorgeous. A friend of my dad's has a base 280SL, my father road in it a few times and reported that that car feels more like a boat than a GT. Ah the '70s.  :lol:

Perfect car for cruising. And the SL has always had a big share of FEMALE buyers since the Pagoda came along in the 1960s.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

QuoteMy mom very dearly wants a 197- 450SL convertible...or something along those lines.  We see about two a year, and she goes into this mode as if she's as into cars as I am...it's entertaining.  They're beautiful cars.
R-107.  Nice.  :)

The only one I've driven was a 87' 560.  It had a good 4 speed slushie (Probably the best slushbox I?ve experienced out of cars at that time.  The V8 made healthy power, and great low-end torque.  The Interior was basic in execution, and built with the traditional tank like solidity.  Handled well, but mind you this was nor corvette.  The timeless design didn't scream sports car, but instead had a conservative, class appeal to it.  Wonderful.  B)
And you didn't provide pictures and a testdrive review!? Zach I am dissapointed in you...  :P  

www.wimmerfotografie.de