Avoid the Audi S4

Started by Payman, December 30, 2014, 02:00:34 PM

Payman

Article from Jalopnik. Damn, I really like this car, but this sounds like an unholy maintenance nightmare...

http://jalopnik.com/here-s-why-the-v8-audi-s4-is-an-awful-used-car-1676466510

68_427

B6 and B7 S4 yeah they're pretty bad.  SLUDGE EVERYWHERE TIMING CHAINS EVERYWHERE

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Payman

This picture is why I ignore those that dump on GM LS pushrod engines. Hell you can buy a factory new Coyote 5.0 from Ford for less than it costs to replace the timing chain on this engine.

Laconian

Oh lord, that article is a tedious read.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Payman

Quote from: Laconian on December 30, 2014, 02:10:42 PM

Yeah, that's par for the course with Jalopnik bloggers.

Eye of the Tiger

$3000 for the parts is a bit nuts.
But labor could be a few cases of beer..
and a few pizza deliveries.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

CALL_911

I've been looking into these

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Colin

Has Char found another outlet for his writing?

Payman

Quote from: Colin on December 30, 2014, 02:41:39 PM
Has Char found another outlet for his writing?

Lol no, it's me Nick. I love these cars but this article shocked me. $8000 to replace the timing chain on an S4... wow.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Laconian on December 30, 2014, 02:10:42 PM
He types like a 14 year old that just discovered hyperbole and literary devices

His Ferrari ownership blog was unbearable.... only worthwhile entry was the sober summary at the end.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

GoCougs

Timing chain up against the firewall? How absolutely awful. Means the engine has to come out. It just shocks me what ze Germans do. Imagine the awfulness that will come in 5-10 years from all these turbo motors, esp. the hot-vee V8s.

12,000 RPM

Germans design for performance first, maintenance maybe. Timing chain will last the length of a lease, so it doesnt matter. Let the second hand market do the engineering

Payman

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 30, 2014, 03:25:37 PM
Germans design for performance first, maintenance maybe. Timing chain will last the length of a lease, so it doesnt matter. Let the second hand market do the engineering

Explains why Cadillacs now retain their value better than the German marques, for the most part.

r0tor

I almost bought a used B6 S4 a couple years ago but between the timing chain of doom inside of the assbackwards engine and horrendous fuel mileage I decided to pass.

Real shame because otherwise that engine is very sweet.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Payman

Quote from: r0tor on December 30, 2014, 04:07:23 PM
I almost bought a used B6 S4 a couple years ago but between the timing chain of doom inside of the assbackwards engine and horrendous fuel mileage I decided to pass.

Real shame because otherwise that engine is very sweet.

The whole car is otherwise sweet, especially the wagon.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Rockraven on December 30, 2014, 03:30:35 PM
Explains why Cadillacs now retain their value better than the German marques, for the most part.
IDK, Caddys def sell for less than Germans despite being priced the same so that might play a part.

FlatBlackCaddy

I thought this had been common knowledge for years, hell since these were new.

Ive seen alot of real nice v8 s4s for sale but i wouldn't want to pay to play on this one. Probably better off with the older 2.7 or pony up the cash for the newer sc model.

Hell the v10 s6 might be a better cost to own used option.

Payman

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 30, 2014, 04:32:22 PM
IDK, Caddys def sell for less than Germans despite being priced the same so that might play a part.

Nope. You'd be shocked. I was when I compared CTSs with BMWs, Mercs and Audis in the same year/spec.

Payman

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on December 30, 2014, 04:36:43 PM

Ive seen alot of real nice v8 s4s for sale but i wouldn't want to pay to play on this one. Probably better off with the older 2.7 or pony up the cash for the newer sc model.

I wasn't aware. It definitely pays to do your research.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Rockraven on December 30, 2014, 02:04:20 PM
This picture is why I ignore those that dump on GM LS pushrod engines. Hell you can buy a factory new Coyote 5.0 from Ford for less than it costs to replace the timing chain on this engine.

How many bloody chains are in there? :confused:
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

12,000 RPM

I count 4. This game is fun, good way to teach kids about the perils of German engineering

SVT666

Well, the S4 joins the M5 (among others) that I will never own, despite their affordable entry fee on the used market, because the cost to repair is prohibitive. Other cars on my list are any car with a turbo and any car with a DCT.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on December 30, 2014, 04:36:43 PM

2.7TT has its own "have to drop the engine" problems.... weak ass K03 turbos and improper oil plumbing

GoCougs

Quote from: FoMoJo on December 30, 2014, 05:23:02 PM
How many bloody chains are in there? :confused:

4 - same as in the Coyote ;).

Secret Chimp

Skimmy skim skim skim on that article, jeez.

And the timing chains on Coyotes are all in front, not in the back like the Audi V8. Not like that makes a difference, with how things are packaged now you probably have to pull the engine for access regardless.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

SVT666

Quote from: Secret Chimp on December 31, 2014, 01:04:21 AM
Skimmy skim skim skim on that article, jeez.

And the timing chains on Coyotes are all in front, not in the back like the Audi V8. Not like that makes a difference, with how things are packaged now you probably have to pull the engine for access regardless.
Nope.

2o6

I can't picture any modern car where you DONT have to drop the subframe to service the timing chain. I know pretty much anything with the GM 3.6 DI has to have the subframe and Trans dropped out to service. Seems par for course these days

But more importantly, make your damn motor where you shouldn't HAVE to service the timing chain.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 30, 2014, 10:53:35 PM
2.7TT has its own "have to drop the engine" problems.... weak ass K03 turbos and improper oil plumbing

Parts for the 2.7T are probably cheaper, and much more widely available.

MX793

Quote from: GoCougs on December 30, 2014, 11:07:01 PM
4 - same as in the Coyote ;).

Coyote has considerably simpler chain routing.  The Audi's chain routing looks like it was penned by Daedalus himself.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

FoMoJo

Quote from: MX793 on December 31, 2014, 07:51:11 AM
Coyote has considerably simpler chain routing.  The Audi's chain routing looks like it was penned by Daedalus himself.
A work of art.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."