128 MPH Not Reckless

Started by GMPenguin, December 08, 2005, 07:05:32 AM

GMPenguin

Judge: 128 MPH Not Reckless
-The Car Connection

Score one for the "reasonable and prudent" school of thought: a Nebraska judge says that a motorcyclist caught speeding at 128 mph was not necessarily driving recklessly. The AP reports that County Judge John Steinheider found that 20-year-old Jacob Carman was not guilty of reckless driving when he was chased and apprehended by police after hitting the top of the police cruiser's range of 128 mph. The judge commented that with no passengers and no other cars nearby the charge of reckless driving could not be supported. Carman was, however, fined $300 for other offenses including expired license plates.

Tom

128's nuthin on the right bike.

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

giant_mtb

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

footoflead

he was only fined $300...thats not even a slap on the wrist...it is half almost of our monthly gas bill :ph34r:
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Fire It Up

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

thewizard16

Quotehe was only fined $300...thats not even a slap on the wrist...it is half almost of our monthly gas bill :ph34r:
Agreed. I've had a $280 speeding ticket for much much less over than that was (on the interstate, going with the flow of traffic... I just happened to be the one to get pulled over) so $300 isn't bad at all.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

Colonel Cadillac

Wizard, that just sucks. I would hate to get nabbed when going with the flow of traffic.

thewizard16

QuoteWizard, that just sucks. I would hate to get nabbed when going with the flow of traffic.
I have a feeling a large part of the reason I got nabbed is because I was an out-of-state car, and less likely to cause trouble or show up for a court date three months down the road.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

TBR

OFFICER BOB's reaction to this piece would be interesting...

Catman

50 mph can be reckless under certain conditions.  I think the issue here is the officer's charges did not meet the elements required under the law to prove reckless operation.  

J86

Hey Cat- what would ya think of someone doing 128 down rte 3? :D

Catman

QuoteHey Cat- what would ya think of someone doing 128 down rte 3? :D
When I was working midnight shift it wasn't unheard off.  I'd have people doing over 100 in the opposite direction every once in a while.  I certainly didn't reverse direction to get them.

JYODER240

QuoteHey Cat- what would ya think of someone doing 128 down rte 3? :D
When I was working midnight shift it wasn't unheard off.  I'd have people doing over 100 in the opposite direction every once in a while.  I certainly didn't reverse direction to get them.
I would just for fun, then let them go :P .
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

dazzleman

Quotehe was only fined $300...thats not even a slap on the wrist...it is half almost of our monthly gas bill :ph34r:
Agreed. I've had a $280 speeding ticket for much much less over than that was (on the interstate, going with the flow of traffic... I just happened to be the one to get pulled over) so $300 isn't bad at all.
How fast were you going and how much above the speed limit?

My guess is that it was at least a 65-mph speed limit, and you were doing in the 80-85 mph range.  In certain states, that's the combo that seems to draw the highest fines relative to actual danger you are causing.

My state has pretty high fines, and from ....ahem.....personal experience, I know that getting nailed for doing 80-85 mph in either a 55 mph or 65 mph zone will get you a fine in that range if you don't go to court and get it reduced.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!