The Manhattan Project II: Sporty's Civic Build

Started by 12,000 RPM, January 01, 2015, 06:53:12 PM

Tave

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on January 04, 2015, 01:04:07 PM
Seriously, congrats. I don't understand you reasoning in getting it though.

He owned two vehicles and neither of them could accommodate more than two people nor an appreciable amount of cargo. :huh:
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on January 04, 2015, 01:04:07 PM
Seriously, congrats. I don't understand you reasoning in getting it though.
Tave about covered it. Also wanted something with lower operating costs that was more relaxing to commute in, while still being fun to drive. This hits on all cylinders.

Quote from: CALL_911 on January 04, 2015, 01:25:34 PM
Did you retrofit post-facelift headlights on the Z?
Yea, they are not OEM though, they are DEPO. Still way better than what I had and OEM grade IMO. Worthwhile upgrade. I do a lot of night driving on 2 lane roads and they are so key.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

12,000 RPM

Maiden commute today. My commute is 8 miles of highway, 4 miles of absolute shit strip mall surface streets, and then ~20 miles of 2 lane roads. Did fine everywhere. Limit on the 2 lanes is ~55 with the odd 45 here and there. Z feels "settled" at about 75. Civic is fine at about 65. It will do 75-90 obviously but it takes a lot more commitment, which is exactly what I wanted.

Also nice to have a radio. Z radio didn't really work well (I just did aux in... antenna was bent when I got it). Listened to NPR on the way in, helped calm me down + distract me a bit. Got tailgated a bit by some douche in a Chrysler 300.... key pass dispatched him though, that was fun.

This lighting situation is critical though. Civic's headlights with the high beams on are about as good as the Z's low beams. Found some cheap headlights I will be able to throw my Murano projectors in... I will probably tackle that project, along with a subwoofer, in February

Overall I'm happy though, definitely a good fit.

AutobahnSHO

LOL the ricing begins    :lol:

Glad you found what you needed to keep happy
Will

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 05, 2015, 08:54:30 AM
LOL the ricing begins    :lol:

Glad you found what you needed to keep happy

Dude, buying aftermarket headlights and cutting them up to customize the light housing is NOT ricing.

Next you will criticize LED "puddle" lights strung underneath the rocker panels.

Cookie Monster

I didn't have a problem with the civics lights. Are you sure you're just not driving around with obnoxiously bright lights blinding everyone?
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on January 05, 2015, 11:38:17 AM
Dude, buying aftermarket headlights and cutting them up to customize the light housing is NOT ricing.

Next you will criticize LED "puddle" lights strung underneath the rocker panels.

What's the definition of ricing? Is it not modifying the cosmetic/ non-drivetrain parts of an Asian car?????????????
Will

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 05, 2015, 01:55:05 PM
What's the definition of ricing? Is it not modifying the cosmetic/ non-drivetrain parts of an Asian car?????????????

:rolleyes:

Rupert

Cheap/easy/uninformed/poorly done modifications meant to make the car seem fast and/or custom. Headlamps aren't rice, unless they are uninformed or poorly done (i.e. blue lights, glary lights, lights that reduce the actual light available to see with, probably even lights that don't increase visibility for the driver, etc.).
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

12,000 RPM

Quote from: thecarnut on January 05, 2015, 12:29:41 PM
I didn't have a problem with the civics lights. Are you sure you're just not driving around with obnoxiously bright lights blinding everyone?

You are used to halogen light

I am deff not blinding anyone. At least no more than anyone with OEM HID projectors. My 350 lights are DOT approved. Only difference between that and what I'd have in the civic would be no auto level adjustments.

I don't do that glare bullshit. Aside from auto leveling the civic step would be OEM grade

MexicoCityM3

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Cookie Monster

Jeez dude, take it easy on the question marks.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

12,000 RPM

Heres the diff between plug n play kits in reflectors and projector retrofits, in a nutshell

Rupert

That's the idea of course, but you really can't tell anything from photos of light like that. Too many other variables.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

12,000 RPM

Somewhat fair point but again, Murano projector is OEM... the beam shape is good as is the distribution

All that glare above the reflector cutoff is why people hate HID kits.

SVT666

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on January 05, 2015, 11:38:17 AM
You're right, it's called ghetto.

Eye of the Tiger

Its called blind everyone else on the road I ought to kill you and probably by accident because I can't fucking see anything. Nothing wrong with halogens and I can't believe HID are even legal. Any HID car driving on a bumpy road looks like a strove light and confuses the fuck out of anyone
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

12,000 RPM

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: thecarnut on January 05, 2015, 03:26:48 PM
Jeez dude, take it easy on the question marks.

they're free.......................................................................................
Will

12,000 RPM

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 05, 2015, 06:05:51 PM
they're free.......................................................................................
:clap:

Rupert

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 05, 2015, 04:31:11 PM
Somewhat fair point but again, Murano projector is OEM... the beam shape is good as is the distribution

All that glare above the reflector cutoff is why people hate HID kits.

Not saying you're wrong, just that automotive lighting is full of misinformation, dumb marketing, aggressive ignorance, etc., and it's one of the areas of car modification that most affects other drivers.

Rupert

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 05, 2015, 06:05:51 PM

Those dumbass question marks bug me, too, but I will +1 this reply. :lol:

MrH

As supposed king of rice on his forum (see my BRZ thread) , I side with sporty. I've got really sensitive eyes, and HIDs aren't a tenth as bad as misaligned reflectors or idiots who drive with their brights on everywhere. There's a ton of those around here for some reason.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Rupert

They're bad if they're not done right. Otherwise they're just another bright bulb.

12,000 RPM

HID projectors, even bad ones, are OK if they are properly aimed WRT other drivers. Good HID projectors aimed right are pretty much the king of the roost lighting wise.

I will probably get wifey a set of GTI xenon headlights this year too. Thats one place where I just dont compromise.

Eye of the Tiger

Whatever. I'll just get some of thses stupid yellow glasses

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Xer0

Rice is racing inspired cosmetic enhancements and isn't limited to just japanese cars.

Rupert

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 05, 2015, 07:12:04 PM
HID projectors, even bad ones, are OK if they are properly aimed WRT other drivers. Good HID projectors aimed right are pretty much the king of the roost lighting wise.

I will probably get wifey a set of GTI xenon headlights this year too. Thats one place where I just dont compromise.

I'll grant projectors as the better tech, not sure about HIDs. There is a point where even extremely well-controlled projection isn't good enough for ultra-bright bulbs. EotT mentioned being strobed by bright HIDs on bumpy roads, and the same idea applies coming over the crest of a hill. At some point, it's dangerous.

Further, you do want a little scatter in order to light up road signs and other reflectors. At some point, even the little scatter projectors are (should be) designed to have is too bright.

12,000 RPM

I am not sure how but all my projectors have enough scatter to light up signs

Theres no way (ATM) to deal with the crest thing. Even halogen projectors are problematic in that regard. Hell on a road with no road lights modern halogen headlights can be blinding. Kind of is what it is.

I do agree though that some folks do overkill. I've seen people mod HID ballasts to run 100W. 35W is plenty with well designed optics... I wish for better optics, never more power.

Rupert

Right, the hill thing (and bumpy road thing-- I've seen that too) is why too bright is a thing. I don't have a reference for how bright that is in terms of wattage or lumens, though.