The Manhattan Project II: Sporty's Civic Build

Started by 12,000 RPM, January 01, 2015, 06:53:12 PM

12,000 RPM

No pics yet, just got home about an hour ago.

Just got home..... thoughts/impressions

- Buying experience was kind of shit. When we bought my wife's car, which we financed, it was all through 1 Eastern European dude who had us in and out in about an hour and a half. We were at this dealership (which was a big franchise) for about 4 hours. Dude was doing shit like having us dictate info on forms to him, and it was all by paper rather than computers which was just silly. He also told way too many anecdotes. Wifey kept indulging the stupid small talk. Once we were all done he asked me to ring a gong... I rang it way too loud, my ears still hurt. Paid a little over KBB though and got the same rate as wifey (2.69 I think) so that was fine.

- Interior/ergonomics are actually really good. Ton of storage space and everything really falls to the hand nicely. Gauges and switchgear look really crisp and nice, especially at night. Dual tier dash works well but I am normal height- I could see it being a problem for someone with a long torso. View out is mega in typical Honda fashion which makes it easy to drive and park. Overall good design, as is expected from Honda. I checked out a few of the current ones and can see why CR dumped on them.... they dont look as good inside. Honda took a huge risk but it was worth it, it works.

- Driving experience is cool. People saying Honda lost it when they ditched DWBs don't know what theyre talking about. OK the 7th gens were pretty fucked up. But this chassis works pretty well. Compared to wifey's car, body motions are way better controlled and it's easier to tell where the (low, tire limited) limits are. All the controls are comically light, but there's good feedback through all interfaces and the chassis in general. It's really fun. Performance is good enough for commuting... it will cruise at 90 all day no problem and NC has long onramps, slow drivers and light traffic. Drove ~100 miles home today and never said 'man I wish this thing had more power'. Shifter/clutch made dropping gears easy and in any case it's fine in top gear (which is admittedly geared a bit high, but isn't an issue as the engine is quiet).

- Compared to Rabbit, it's noisier, mainly via wind noise. Not insufferable but it's definitely worse. On the upside, it is way better dynamically. Germans are supposed to have that shit locked, but wifey's car def has a lot of unnecessary body motion and low limits. I wonder if it needs new shocks. I wouldn't mind throwing her car on some Bilstein products. All in all though it's easy to see where the extra money and weight of the Rabbit goes over its competitors. It's nicer, but I prefer the interior design of the Civic.

- Compared to the Z, obviously it's a lot slower with lower handling limits. Dynamically the differences are huge. You push the Z, you can feel the RWD dynamics. The front and rear of the car begin to lose grip together and you can feel the car rotate about its axis, even with zero or neutral throttle. With this everything is about managing front grip. It's way less cerebral than the Z, but it's still fun in its own way. I must also say, it has the nicer interior of the two. The Z is older with more miles, but even ones with the same miles/age look beat compared to the Civic. The Civics hold up.

Other weird thing is once Im up to highway speeds I keep wanting to shift to 6th. This thing doesnt have a reverse lockout so I hope Im not destroying the reverse gear. That will pass though.

Other thing I noticed was the heft of the controls of the Z are kind of silly. Everything... the shifter, the clutch, the wheel, so much heft. When you are hustling it it works I guess to help dampen inputs as it can be a little darty. But the clutch and shifter are just needlessly hefty. Im not saying that as a knock, it kind of is what it is and is part of the experience. Makes you want to grab it by the scruff of the neck.

Even though its obvious, the Z's dominance in speed is still worth mentioning. Any gear, any speed, it just goes. The right gear and speed, it takes OFF. Low gears in turns it will make the "SLIP" light lose its shit. 287HP sounds quaint today but for the street it's plenty.

- Shit to do right away..... after having HID projectors on my car and bike for a year and a half, I just can't do halogens. I have projectors from a Murano collecting dust that I will throw in some cheapo Depos. Also the stereo is pretty good from 100 Hz up, but it could definitely use more bass down low. Will hold off on that though, prob get an Inifinity Basslink or something mild like that. That's the shit that I use everyday so I will def put money there first. Mechanicals and shit are good enough.

This thing reminds me a LOT of my old Accords... and you know how I feel about those. Just with a modern twist. I like it. Good fit.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

FlatBlackCaddy

Congrats,  but starting a new thread without pics...... :nono:

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

CJ

hotrodalex

What car did you buy? I see it's a Honda. Odyssey?

edit: nevermind I couldn't see the full title on my phone.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 01, 2015, 06:53:12 PM
- Interior/ergonomics are actually really good. Ton of storage space and everything really falls to the hand nicely. Gauges and switchgear look really crisp and nice, especially at night. Dual tier dash works well but I am normal height- I could see it being a problem for someone with a long torso.

This was exactly my problem and a deal breaker for me. I have a 36" inseam but can wear a medium t-shirt. I need to pull the seat way back and drop it down low to fit, but that means I can't see the speedo at all. What a dumb design.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: hotrodalex on January 01, 2015, 07:42:37 PM
What car did you buy? I see it's a Honda. Odyssey?

edit: nevermind I couldn't see the full title on my phone.

Yup an odyssey,  but it's the type R mugen

12,000 RPM

Quote from: thecarnut on January 01, 2015, 07:45:54 PM
This was exactly my problem and a deal breaker for me. I have a 36" inseam but can wear a medium t-shirt. I need to pull the seat way back and drop it down low to fit, but that means I can't see the speedo at all. What a dumb design.
U are a geometric outlier. The design works for most folks

2o6

These are nice cars. My old roomate had a coupe and I liked driving his a lot.

I may replace Yaris with one eventually

Gotta-Qik-C7

IMHO it's no way in hell I'd go from a 350Z to a Civic! Especially in a warm weather state! But if you like it I love it!  :cheers:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-G8 on January 01, 2015, 08:41:52 PM
IMHO it's no way in hell I'd go from a 350Z to a Civic! Especially in a warm weather state! But if you like it I love it!  :cheers:
:lol:

12,000 RPM

Couple other thoughts

Brake feel is good, tite like prom nite.

Due to work and our getaway, ironically I wont be able to commute in this for about 2 weeks. I will get some pics up tomorrow

Xer0

12,000 RPM

Yea an 09, its a CPO, black EX. No premium sound though

hotrodalex

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on January 01, 2015, 08:04:59 PM
Yup an odyssey,  but it's the type R mugen

Shoulda got the base model, 1k coils, and a tune. Way faster and livable.

SVT666

hotrodalex

Quote from: SVT666 on January 01, 2015, 10:46:41 PM
Shins? Why do you want pictures of his shins.

He's into furry things, isn't he?

Raza

Wait, you sold your 350Z and got a Civic?  Is it at least an Si?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Raza  on January 01, 2015, 11:35:22 PM
Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 01, 2015, 09:14:01 PM
Yea an 09, its a CPO, black EX. No premium sound though

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Raza  on January 01, 2015, 11:35:22 PM

I still have the Z, unloading it during tax season.

More importantly though, I still have the bike, and will probably be upgrading that and doing track days in it within the next 2 yrs. So my fleet performance and "purpose-fit" will both go up with this change.

Submariner

That's what you get for dealing with a shifty eastern-European.

Congrats though. 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

FoMoJo

Sounds like a fun experience...especially the gong. 
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 02, 2015, 04:45:22 AM
I still have the Z, unloading it during tax season.

More importantly though, I still have the bike, and will probably be upgrading that and doing track days in it within the next 2 yrs. So my fleet performance and "purpose-fit" will both go up with this change.

Sell the bike, sell the Z, get a Z Roadster, sell the Civic, get an Si.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

Who wants bet Sporty is bored with this car in less then 3 months and wants something sportier, or he will give it stiffer suspension and then proclaim it too harsh for commuting?

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: SVT666 on January 02, 2015, 09:43:40 AM
Who wants bet Sporty is bored with this car in less then 3 months and wants something sportier, or he will give it stiffer suspension and then proclaim it too harsh for commuting?
:lol:

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Raza  on January 02, 2015, 09:27:13 AM
Sell the bike, sell the Z, get a Z Roadster, sell the Civic, get an Si.
I thought we were in agreement that the Z roadster sucked

And I already explained why I didnt get the Si.

If u want to buy me a Z roadster and Si though be my guest.

Quote from: SVT666 on January 02, 2015, 09:43:40 AM
Thats the beauty of a versatile platform. If I want sportier I can make it sportier. If the suspension I get is too stiff I can take it off and sell it. Finding the right setup is the fun part and theres more than enough info out there to not have to iterate. People keep saying "you should have got the Si, the suspension on the Si is better"... I would have changed it too.

FlatBlackCaddy

mzziaz

Cuore Sportivo

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Eye of the Tiger

Sticker bomb a front quarter panel, rust the hood, and extra wide wheels with stance spacers in the back. And a primer gray body kit.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)