Quick review of a newish Dodge GC work van

Started by 12,000 RPM, January 07, 2015, 01:30:27 PM

12,000 RPM

I had to do some field shit for work and we had one of these in our fleet

Was interesting.

The good- the interior was actually decent quality, not even just for a work vehicle. The doors had soft leather (pleather?) arm rests, the stereo had excellent sound quality and particularly good bass response, and the seats were comfy for all day driving. The engine and transmission were pretty good too... engine pulled with authority, had a nice growl when you got on it, and the transmission had a "manumatic" mode that made up for its incessant impulse to scramble to 6th as soon as possible. Got about 22 MPG in mixed driving.... better than my Z :wanker:

The bad- I think the shocks might have been blown. It was floaty as hell. Torque steet was comical- a downshift would send the thing lurching to the left, hard. Overall you just never felt in control of the damn thing.

The ugly- thing had an accessory rack on top that would resonate like someone was blowing a glass bottle at about 45 MPH. Taping up holes on it only lowered the volume :wtf: Gotta be costing it a few MPGs.

Overall nowhere as near as bad as I thought it would be which is about as big of a complement as these things can expect. With some better shocks it could be almost passable.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

AutobahnSHO

I would make jokes about it being in perfect shape for a minivan, even with new shocks it will still torque steer and the sheer mass compared to what you are used to are way way off.
Will

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

12,000 RPM

Quote from: 68_427 on January 08, 2015, 06:28:25 AM
Did you neutral slam it?
No for several reasons

One its a company car

Two no need... traction control sucked so judicious application of the throttle made for wheelspin. The vague throttle response made it somewhat hard to launch with mild aggression from a light without chirping.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 08, 2015, 08:13:33 AM
The vague throttle response made it somewhat hard to launch with mild aggression from a light without chirping.

I hate that crap.   I used to spin the wheels from a stop in my Sienna practically anytime there was water or sand on the road.
Will