Ford GT

Started by Cobra93, January 12, 2015, 07:41:28 AM

Cobra93

Rich

I like it, nice job Ford. 
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

2o6

Not 100% keen on the styling, but the NSX better come out next week because this just made Honda irrelevant

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Rich

Not a fan of the tail light treatment.  The detail work on it looks kit car-ish.  The negative space between the rear wheel houses and the engine bay is quite a shock, but I'm glad since it sets the design apart from other supercars.

GoCougs

I see the same problem Ford had with the Mustang redesign - where do you take retro? Give it time and perhaps Ford will be successful in making retro as the nouveau - worked for Chevy and the C2 Corvette. Here, there looks to be too many angles, esp. on the rear window.

hotrodalex

I like the rear end, but not the headlights.

r0tor

Quote from: GoCougs on January 12, 2015, 09:09:53 AM
I see the same problem Ford had with the Mustang redesign - where do you take retro? Give it time and perhaps Ford will be successful in making retro as the nouveau - worked for Chevy and the C2 Corvette. Here, there looks to be too many angles, esp. on the rear window.

I don't see this as retro at all...
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

SVT666

The aero from the doors rearward is unreal.  It will be a bitch to clean, but wow.  It's a 2016 model as well.  That's insane.  Any predictions on power?  I'm guessing a supercharged 5.2L flat plane with 800+hp.  This will be complete insanity.  I love it.

MexicoCityM3

Fantastic at first sight.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

SVT666

Quote from: SVT666 on January 12, 2015, 10:05:49 AM
The aero from the doors rearward is unreal.  It will be a bitch to clean, but wow.  It's a 2016 model as well.  That's insane.  Any predictions on power?  I'm guessing a supercharged 5.2L flat plane with 800+hp.  This will be complete insanity.  I love it.
Well fuck.  I was wrong.  It's powered by a twin turbo 3.5L V-6.  WTF Ford!?!?!

GoCougs

hahahaha...

Man, the huge (over) investment in Ecoboost is just  :facepalm:  ...

SVT666

Why develop a flat plane V8 if you're only going to use it in one low volume car?  Stick the supercar engine in the supercar for fuck's sake.

MrH

:lol:!  Gorgeous new super car!  Here, let's throw in an overboosted Flex motor.  That'll be perfect
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Rich

2o6

Man you guys sure as fuck are armchair quarterbacking

r0tor

Quote from: SVT666 on January 12, 2015, 10:11:03 AM
Well fuck.  I was wrong.  It's powered by a twin turbo 3.5L V-6.  WTF Ford!?!?!

600hp twin-turbo V6... Its going to be doing euro endurance racing and a return to LeMans

SVT666

Quote from: r0tor on January 12, 2015, 10:34:27 AM
600hp twin-turbo V6... Its going to be doing euro endurance racing and a return to LeMans
I hope the V6 is the base motor and they will have a twin turbo or supercharged V8 as the top motor.  But a V6 in a supercar isn't good enough...especially coming from Ford, a company known for V8 engines.

r0tor

Its designed around its race engine - that's the way it should be for a true super car.  The engine bay is shrink wrapped around that thing.

hotrodalex

Quote from: SVT666 on January 12, 2015, 10:20:06 AM
Why develop a flat plane V8 if you're only going to use it in one low volume car?  Stick the supercar engine in the supercar for fuck's sake.

lol yeah.

Maybe someone will do a swap.

2o6

FlatBlackCaddy

I love the GT(the last one) and I'm sure I'll love this too. Too bad about the V6, I mean it would have been better with that flat plane V8 in there but what do you do. In the end I guess it just comes down to how it performs and getting rich old guys to buy it. I'm sure ford won't have a problem with either. Plus a TT V6 isn't all bad, I wouldn't turn down a GT because of it.

Jaguar managed just fine.

GoCougs

Quote from: r0tor on January 12, 2015, 11:08:02 AM
Its designed around its race engine - that's the way it should be for a true super car.  The engine bay is shrink wrapped around that thing.

Starting with the Miura, and continuing on with the Countach, Testarossa, Diablo, F40, Carrera GT, Enzo, 918, etc. - none had race engines and none are race cars - super cars are definitely meant to be road cars. If Ford wants to change that by all means more power to them, but "race" has never been a super car's purpose.

FoMoJo

Quote from: SVT666 on January 12, 2015, 11:05:54 AM
I hope the V6 is the base motor and they will have a twin turbo or supercharged V8 as the top motor.  But a V6 in a supercar isn't good enough...especially coming from Ford, a company known for V8 engines.
I'm a bit disappointed they didn't use the flat plane.  However, considering that F1 uses V6 engines with Turbos, it fits the current era.  It'll be interesting to see what the Le Mans version has.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

MrH

Quote from: 2o6 on January 12, 2015, 10:33:39 AM
Man you guys sure as fuck are armchair quarterbacking

It was just a joke.

This thing screams LaFerrari competitor at 1/8th the price.  I'm excited about it.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Payman

The racing series it's going to compete in has a 4.0 litre limit.

Payman

Lol... Acura finally unveiled the NSX. Nobody noticed.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: MrH on January 12, 2015, 11:29:41 AM
It was just a joke.

This thing screams LaFerrari competitor at 1/8th the price.  I'm excited about it.

Ya, well, like the last GT these will be worth much much more than ford might ask for them.

r0tor

To me, this is a real Ford GT.

The last car was more of a tribute car.  Yes, it had the hairy chested V8 - but it was almost handicapped trying to pay homage to the GT40 with its retro styling, construction, interior, ect.

This car is a mid engine chassis wrapped around the best engine they can use in the race class with a clean sheet design like the original GT40.  It uses the best materials and construction methods like the real GT40 used at its time. Its a homologation street car just like the real GT40.  This is the true successor to the GT40.