2o6's Civic

Started by 2o6, January 14, 2015, 04:41:44 PM

2o6

Sort of a flip car, but not really.

Tired of paying monthly for a base yaris with absolutely no options.

I also stalk Craigslist twice hourly for good deals on flips - best flip cars come from CL and not auction.

I just purchased a 2001 Civic with 143k from a graduated college student. The car doesn't run, but it's pristine. The guy says he was driving it on the freeway when the car abruptly stopped.

Pretty sure the timing belt broke. Technician says the top of the motor isn't getting oil....which means there's no oil being pumped up there cause the oil pump is t belt driven. It also cranks really fast.

Anyways, I paid $1000. The car has no dings or rust, and new brakes and tires. And new shocks.

It's a peach.

I'm going to replace the yaris, sell it and the CRV and then drive this until I get bored.

I'll have about 2k invested, and street value is around $3500. So if I change my mind I'll come out ahead.

Eye of the Tiger

I didn't know you could get a sunroof on the LX.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

2o6

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 2o6 on January 14, 2015, 04:46:42 PM
Aftermarket

Fancy pantsy. Anyway, it will probably be way nicer than the Yariis once you get it running.

Eye of the Tiger

If you want to go sportyaccordy on it, many RSX suspension and brake parts are a direct fit. Also the motor mounts are floppy and the cable shifter is not Honda's best work.

2o6

I was thinking a tint and possibly wheels bigger than 14"

FoMoJo

How much is an engine going to cost?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Eye of the Tiger

Don't go bigger than 17"- not with the roads you go around there. 16x7 with 205/50/16 is probably the perfect size compromise for ride/handling/durability.

2o6

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 14, 2015, 05:09:54 PM
How much is an engine going to cost?

600 + 450 install. so around $1100 to get it on the road.

FoMoJo

Quote from: 2o6 on January 14, 2015, 05:13:30 PM
600 + 450 install. so around $1100 to get it on the road.
Good deal.  Is that a from a wrecking yard?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

12,000 RPM

I saw engines for my car in the ~$300-400 range.... u can do beddah

RSX parts do fit.... I am not sure they are worth buying. 5 lug does open things up but the 7th gen's suspension design is screwed to all hell and doesnt respond well to tweaks.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Payman

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 14, 2015, 06:00:31 PM
I saw engines for my car in the ~$300-400 range.... u can do beddah

RSX parts do fit.... I am not sure they are worth buying. 5 lug does open things up but the 7th gen's suspension design is screwed to all hell and doesnt respond well to tweaks.

Unless he wants to deal with computer re-mapping issues, he'll need to be pretty specific with the engine he buys. Since he listed labor as an expense, I don't think he's in a position to do much freaky stuff modding wise. Best bet is stick to the basics. Good looking and clean Civic he bought there.

Payman

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 14, 2015, 05:15:35 PM
Good deal.  Is that a from a wrecking yard?

$600 is what I paid for son's replacement EcoTech for his '06 G5 Pursuit. Kev's $450 labor quote seems awful low though. Garage quoted me 10 hours labor ($950).

Edit: Labor is probably lower because an '01 Civic's drivetrain can be replaced from up top, whereas a Cobalt/Pursuit it's recommended you remove the subframe and replace engine/tranny from the bottom. Nevertheless, I did it myself without much difficulty from the top.

Payman

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 14, 2015, 05:11:00 PM
Don't go bigger than 17"- not with the roads you go around there. 16x7 with 205/50/16 is probably the perfect size compromise for ride/handling/durability.

That's about what I'd go with.

FlatBlackCaddy

I'd drop an SR20 in there. I know a guy who just got a fresh shipment of them.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on January 14, 2015, 06:32:01 PM
I'd drop an SR20 in there. I know a guy who just got a fresh shipment of them.

Too soon, junior. Race wars isn't for another six months.

2o6

Quote from: Rockraven on January 14, 2015, 06:28:47 PM
$600 is what I paid for son's replacement EcoTech for his '06 G5 Pursuit. Kev's $450 labor quote seems awful low though. Garage quoted me 10 hours labor ($950).

Edit: Labor is probably lower because an '01 Civic's drivetrain can be replaced from up top, whereas a Cobalt/Pursuit it's recommended you remove the subframe and replace engine/tranny from the bottom. Nevertheless, I did it myself without much difficulty from the top.

My Honda tech friend is doing it under the table at his house. He's a beast and a little rice burner asian guy who knows Honda and Toyota inside out.

Payman

Quote from: 2o6 on January 14, 2015, 06:40:37 PM

My Honda tech friend is doing it under the table at his house. He's a beast and a little rice burner asian guy who knows Honda and Toyota inside out.

Nice. So a little modding is feasible then.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Rockraven on January 14, 2015, 06:43:01 PM
Nice. So a little modding is feasible then.

I wouldn't pay the mechanic to put stickers on, 206 can do that himself.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 2o6 on January 14, 2015, 04:46:42 PM
Aftermarket

hmmmm.... That's about the biggest reason I want to trade mine/wife's cars. Wonder how much that would cost to have someone (competent) do??
Will

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

MrH

Wow. Good find. That's a steal
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

hotrodalex

Quote from: Rockraven on January 14, 2015, 06:28:47 PM
a Cobalt/Pursuit it's recommended you remove the subframe and replace engine/tranny from the bottom.

Wut.

Payman

Quote from: hotrodalex on January 14, 2015, 08:15:55 PM
Wut.

Yup.

Actually, the Haines manual says you MUST have the car on a hoist and lower the engine/trans from the bottom, and the job is not recommended for the typical home mechanic. I laughed, sized up the job with a few beers, and had no issues using a chain hoist from overhead. A leveller was a necessity though to pull it end first for clearance.

2o6

Quote from: hotrodalex on January 14, 2015, 08:15:55 PM
Wut.

Pretty common on modern cars. Usually the entire powertrain comes out with the subframe. It's super easy if you have a lift. Just undo a few lines and mounts, and the whole thing, axles and all, basically drop out the bottom. Most GM cars are like that now, including the Camaro.

Payman

Quote from: 2o6 on January 14, 2015, 09:00:03 PM
Pretty common on modern cars. Usually the entire powertrain comes out with the subframe. It's super easy if you have a lift. Just undo a few lines and mounts, and the whole thing, axles and all, basically drop out the bottom. Most GM cars are like that now, including the Camaro.

Sucks for the home mechanic that doesn't have a 12 foot garage ceiling and a lift.

2o6

Quote from: Rockraven on January 14, 2015, 09:14:17 PM
Sucks for the home mechanic that doesn't have a 12 foot garage ceiling and a lift.

Well, tough titties

MexicoCityM3

Congrats, I'd have thought it impossible to replace an engine for so little.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

hotrodalex

Quote from: 2o6 on January 14, 2015, 09:00:03 PM

Seems much easier to disconnect the transmission and hoist the engine out.

2o6

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on January 14, 2015, 10:57:28 PM
Congrats, I'd have thought it impossible to replace an engine for so little.

...why? its not rocket science'