The Official Sixth Gen Camaro Thread!

Started by Gotta-Qik-C7, January 19, 2015, 06:37:04 PM

giant_mtb

CaminoRacer

Just gonna dump this here to redeem the thread. Haven't even watched it. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ubd1nEbDaZg
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

SJ_GTI

I am disappoint about Gougs not getting the Camaro, but an Audi Allroad is a pretty cool substitute.  :ohyeah:

Lebowski

Quote from: Tave on February 05, 2018, 11:07:29 AM

The G has a more robust AWD system that is capable of sustained periods of dual transaxle activity and an option to lock it on a 50/50 split. The Honda can only send 40%, can't lock the split, and can't cope with extended use. It's fine for moderate snow but it's not the ideal setup for more heavy conditions. Coug's ATTESA was a better winter drivetrain and the QUATTRO would be even better still. Not that you couldn't make due with the CRV, or that it doesn't have plenty of advantages over the Infiniti/Audi, but the AWD setup isn't one of them.

I didn't say the AWD system is the best but the total package is imo. Also note before the G he had an accord, and seemed happy as far as that meeting his needs as well.

12,000 RPM

I was just thinking about it... weird that there are no serious Japanese alternatives to the X3/Q5 etc. Next RDX could be a compelling choice if Cougs is tough enough to look past the soccer mom image. I am not
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Lebowski

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 05, 2018, 12:48:16 PM

I was just thinking about it... weird that there are no serious Japanese alternatives to the X3/Q5 etc. Next RDX could be a compelling choice if Cougs is tough enough to look past the soccer mom image. I am not

Lexus RX outsells them both in the US :huh:

GoCougs

CR-V is definitely one of the best vehicles on sale, at any price, right up there with the Accord, Camry, and a few others. It's not for everyone however. I want something that at least (about) matches the G in performance. The Allroad doesn't quite cut it, but it's close, once the the responsiveness of the DSG is taken into account.

GoCougs

Quote from: 68_427 on February 04, 2018, 04:58:23 PM
Pretty sure PTM has a wet mode.

EDIT:  Just saw the other posts.  Allroad is ok, but it's no CRV

I'm sure it does. But wet roads are still a significant detriment to performance. The G, at about the same weight with just half the power and AWD, moves around a notable amount in the wet.

MX793

HTF hard are some of you people driving on public streets that a wet road surface forces you to significantly back down your pace?  Only place I've ever driven where a wet road made things slick enough that I had to be mindful of it was the American Southwest (Arizona, New Mexico, West Texas, SoCal), where it seldom rains and there gets to be a lot of oily buildup on the road that turns into a oil slick when it first gets wet.  Anyplace where it rains regularly, the roads just aren't that slick when wet save for the very initial dampening after a prolonged dry spell (5-6 days).  My car, on the OE Pirellis (which were rated worst in class for wet grip) would still pull at least .7g of lateral grip in the wet before they even hinted at slipping.  I have recorded data of the car pulling .8g at an auto-x in a heavy rain with standing water over much of the surface.  That's a lot of lateral acceleration to be pulling on the street.  Like >45 mph around a 200 ft radius bend (which would typically carry a 20 mph recommended maximum speed).  That's the kind of lateral G that would result in any loose items in the car getting flung into the doors.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: MX793 on February 05, 2018, 04:20:29 PM
HTF hard are some of you people driving on public streets that a wet road surface forces you to significantly back down your pace?  Only place I've ever driven where a wet road made things slick enough that I had to be mindful of it was the American Southwest (Arizona, New Mexico, West Texas, SoCal), where it seldom rains and there gets to be a lot of oily buildup on the road that turns into a oil slick when it first gets wet.  Anyplace where it rains regularly, the roads just aren't that slick when wet save for the very initial dampening after a prolonged dry spell (5-6 days).  My car, on the OE Pirellis (which were rated worst in class for wet grip) would still pull at least .7g of lateral grip in the wet before they even hinted at slipping.  I have recorded data of the car pulling .8g at an auto-x in a heavy rain with standing water over much of the surface.  That's a lot of lateral acceleration to be pulling on the street.  Like >45 mph around a 200 ft radius bend (which would typically carry a 20 mph recommended maximum speed).  That's the kind of lateral G that would result in any loose items in the car getting flung into the doors.
:hesaid: Maybe I'm getting old but these guys seem like some hard chargers!  :lol:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

afty

Here in CA the road surface gets really slick when it rains, because it rains so rarely. It's pretty easy to break traction.

12,000 RPM

ITs not so much about steady state speed as it is what happens when you apply power. IF you are rounding a curve at a reasonable 0.3-0.4g and you give it some gas in a lowish gear you can def break traction no problem.

MX793

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 06, 2018, 12:16:05 AM
ITs not so much about steady state speed as it is what happens when you apply power. IF you are rounding a curve at a reasonable 0.3-0.4g and you give it some gas in a lowish gear you can def break traction no problem.

There is very little steady state in Auto-x.  IME, if you live someplace that gets frequent rainfall, the roads just aren't that slick.  You still have at least 70% of the grip you have in the dry.  If you are having to back it down when the roads are wet, that implies you regularly drive at 7/10ths+ on the street.  That's pretty damn aggressive for "normal" driving.  Especially in a modern, performance-oriented vehicle like a G, 3-series, etc.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

giant_mtb

Quote from: MX793 on February 06, 2018, 04:41:10 AM
There is very little steady state in Auto-x.  IME, if you live someplace that gets frequent rainfall, the roads just aren't that slick.  You still have at least 70% of the grip you have in the dry.  If you are having to back it down when the roads are wet, that implies you regularly drive at 7/10ths+ on the street.  That's pretty damn aggressive for "normal" driving.  Especially in a modern, performance-oriented vehicle like a G, 3-series, etc.

Sporty once claimed he goes through brake pads every ~10k miles.  He's super aggro.

Raza

Quote from: SJ_GTI on February 05, 2018, 11:23:25 AM
I am disappoint about Gougs not getting the Camaro, but an Audi Allroad is a pretty cool substitute.  :ohyeah:

Way cooler than a Camaro, to be honest. The Camaro is a tryhard car.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Raza  on February 06, 2018, 09:10:15 AM
Way cooler than a Camaro, to be honest. The Camaro is a tryhard car.
A4 Allroad = poser class, and by extension is also a try hard car.

Better to try hard and poser fail, than.... something something :lol:

Lebowski

Trying be cool is not cool. Therefore the CRV is the coolest thing on the road.

r0tor

CRV is on a roll... Didn't get selected on an enthusiast level for C&D's 10 best and didn't win on Cars.com is a comparo based on practicality
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Lebowski

Quote from: r0tor on February 06, 2018, 10:34:19 AM

CRV is on a roll... Didn't get selected on an enthusiast level for C&D's 10 best and didn't win on Cars.com is a comparo based on practicality

The CRVenvy is strong in this one.

Gotta-Qik-C7

giant_mtb

Quote from: r0tor on February 06, 2018, 10:34:19 AM

Did the RX-8 ever win any 10-best enthusiast or practicality comparos?  My guess is a hard no.  Silly logic.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: MX793 on February 05, 2018, 04:20:29 PM

When it rained in GA I used to get blocks ahead of people I was next to when the light turned green. In my super streetfighter 18yr-old Legacy.
Will

MX793

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on February 06, 2018, 12:59:17 PM
When it rained in GA I used to get blocks ahead of people I was next to when the light turned green. In my super streetfighter 18yr-old Legacy.

Were the cars around you spinning their tires and struggling for traction, or were they just afraid of driving in the rain?
Needs more Jiggawatts

CaminoRacer

Quote from: MX793 on February 06, 2018, 01:12:20 PM
Were the cars around you spinning their tires and struggling for traction, or were they just afraid of driving in the rain?

I'm betting they all melted. Like the wicked witch of the west
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

r0tor

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 06, 2018, 06:04:39 PM
Congratulations on your magazine win.

Many more comparo wins I can serve up if you want

giant_mtb

Quote from: r0tor on February 06, 2018, 06:14:36 PM
Many more comparo wins I can serve up if you want

...ask me if I care. I don't get triggered by people's choice of vehicles. You proved me wrong, move along.

r0tor

Gotta-Qik-C7