The Official Sixth Gen Camaro Thread!

Started by Gotta-Qik-C7, January 19, 2015, 06:37:04 PM

Morris Minor

Quote from: MX793 on May 29, 2015, 10:26:02 AM
Unless you saw a mule (or a 2015), the new 2016s aren't out for sale yet.  They won't hit the streets until sometime this autumn.

I'm pretty sure it was the new one - it did not have license plates - my daily route home takes me on a side road running behind where all the major car dealers are located. It definitely triggered the hyperaware "have not seen that car before" circuitry that all SPINners have.  :lol:
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

MX793

Quote from: Morris Minor on May 29, 2015, 12:11:24 PM
I'm pretty sure it was the new one - it did not have license plates - my daily route home takes me on a side road running behind where all the major car dealers are located. It definitely triggered the hyperaware "have not seen that car before" circuitry that all SPINners have.  :lol:

If it's a 2016, it was a pre-pro or there for some kind of auto show.  Production has not started on 2016s yet.  Full specs aren't even out yet.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

68_427

There have been a bunch of 2016s spotted
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

FlatBlackCaddy

I haven't seen one yet, but I'm pretty sure I've felt a couple go by me when I was on the bridge occasionally.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on May 29, 2015, 02:20:02 PM
I haven't seen one yet, but I'm pretty sure I've felt a couple go by me when I was on the bridge occasionally.
You'd feel a Fiat go by if you in that miata.......
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Gotta-Qik-C7

SVT666

I have to see it in person.  That front end isn't doing it for me at all.

SVT666

The new Chevy Cruze looks better than the new Camaro.

GoCougs

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-G8 on June 23, 2015, 10:08:48 PM
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/06/22/2016-chevy-camaro-convertible-leaked-photos/

That actually looks good (esp. with the top up) for a convertible (and I'm not a fan in general) - definitely better than most.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: SVT666 on June 25, 2015, 11:19:40 AM
The new Chevy Cruze looks better than the new Camaro.

:confused:

It looks like a Volt. Not bad, but nothing remotely similar to a Camaro. You may think the Volt looks better than the Camaro, but I doubt most people would agree.  :lol:

Gotta-Qik-C7

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Raza

Windows are too big. DLO lets too much DL in the O.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

2o6

I'm a little upset that this is a new platform and the styling is basically the same as the old csr

GoCougs

That ZL1 is a 'shop and mimics the wheels, hood bulge, spoiler and splitter from the 2015 car. I was a bit disappointed at first but though the new Camaro has the same styling cues as the old but put 'em next to each other and they are very different cars in and out. Evolutionary styling is the way to keep a marque alive - 911, Corvette, 3er, now Mustang.

12,000 RPM

I liked how the Mustang looked completely different with each iteration. Kept things interesting.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

GoCougs

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 05, 2015, 08:13:47 AM
I liked how the Mustang looked completely different with each iteration. Kept things interesting.

Well, sometimes the Mustang did, and sometimes it did not. Ford's error with the S197 is letting it languish for 5 years too long. The market these days won't put up with that (and sorta didn't considering the 5th Camaro easily bested it in sales for five years straight). Bold new styling is risky these days - the competition is absolutely insane for budget-ish performance cars - it's no longer just Camaro vs. Mustang.

Gotta-Qik-C7

12,000 RPM

Quote from: GoCougs on July 05, 2015, 08:36:05 PM
Well, sometimes the Mustang did, and sometimes it did not. Ford's error with the S197 is letting it languish for 5 years too long. The market these days won't put up with that (and sorta didn't considering the 5th Camaro easily bested it in sales for five years straight). Bold new styling is risky these days - the competition is absolutely insane for budget-ish performance cars - it's no longer just Camaro vs. Mustang.
Performance car markets are silo'd by image/configuration though. I have a single buddy with a Challenger SRT8. Works for him, he works from home, no responsibilities, doesn't do any kind of handy work. Has a custom license plate that reads "DIXI" :lol: He wouldnt be caught dead in a little hot hatch. Meanwhile as much as I respect and like muscle cars, their image still makes me snarl, their space inefficiency is deplorable and their impracticality is pretty much a deal breaker for me. So I think there are a lot of cars in the same price and performance bracket but there's not that much cross shopping outside of the little configuration silos. A Camaro SS and Golf R both cost like $37-40K and get to 60 in the low 4s... thats about where the similarities end.

GoCougs

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 06, 2015, 01:03:52 PM
Performance car markets are silo'd by image/configuration though. I have a single buddy with a Challenger SRT8. Works for him, he works from home, no responsibilities, doesn't do any kind of handy work. Has a custom license plate that reads "DIXI" :lol: He wouldnt be caught dead in a little hot hatch. Meanwhile as much as I respect and like muscle cars, their image still makes me snarl, their space inefficiency is deplorable and their impracticality is pretty much a deal breaker for me. So I think there are a lot of cars in the same price and performance bracket but there's not that much cross shopping outside of the little configuration silos. A Camaro SS and Golf R both cost like $37-40K and get to 60 in the low 4s... thats about where the similarities end.

Not sure what you're stating. Used to be the Camaro + Mustang sold well more than 100,000/year each. Let's take 1986 - Mustang sold 226k and the Camaro 192k. Considering the market was far smaller then, that's like selling 350k+ each today. Why hasn't market share held? People still like budget(ish) performance cars, there are just far more available than in 1986 - Challenger, WRX, Genesis Coupe, (downmarket) 370Z, MS3, etc.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: GoCougs on August 06, 2015, 01:31:39 PM
Not sure what you're stating. Used to be the Camaro + Mustang sold well more than 100,000/year each. Let's take 1986 - Mustang sold 226k and the Camaro 192k. Considering the market was far smaller then, that's like selling 350k+ each today. Why hasn't market share held? People still like budget(ish) performance cars, there are just far more available than in 1986 - Challenger, WRX, Genesis Coupe, (downmarket) 370Z, MS3, etc.
Not necessarily..... back in 86, people absolutely loved coupes... it could def be argued that there is a ~$30K performance model from most brands that replaced old coupes from 86. Beretta-> Sonic RS, Daytona -> defunct SRT-4s, Probe/Thunderbird->Fieasta/Focus STs, Prelude -> Civic Si, 200SX->Juke NISMO etc. etc. So I wouldn't say there's much choice, the choice has just changed to people moving away from coupes. But the pony cars are icons so people are willing to put up with them. Other thing is back in 86 the only way to get a performance car was in coupe form. They lifted that barrier too.

Gotta-Qik-C7

All of the replacements you listed are FWD also. No real Pony Car fan would touch a FWD hot hatch!

Rich

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

GoCougs

Hmmm. Eliminating the stripper LT and 10% price hike for the 1SS also slots it 10% above the Mustang's cost of entry.

Seems they're more interested in making it a niche (higher margin?) product....

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 06, 2015, 01:03:52 PM
Performance car markets are silo'd by image/configuration though.

this-   TONS of people buy cars off of looks/image alone, and never read a review.
Will

FlatBlackCaddy

Gotta-Qik-C7

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MX793

Quote from: HotRodPilot on August 21, 2015, 09:26:53 AM
27k base, and 37k for the SS

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/08/21/2016-chevy-camaro-pricing-official/

Pretty steep unless they're upping the content for 2016.  The current 1SS is equipped only slightly better than the basic Mustang GT.  Base GT is $32.3K, so that's roughly a 5K difference.  A GT Premium is a grand cheaper than the 1SS.  And the 1LT was only equipped slightly better than the basic Mustang V6 (and Ecoboost, they come with the same base equipment).  I'll be curious how much extra they charge to upgrade to the V6 from the base 2.0T. 

EDIT:  I see now these prices include destination, so the 1SS costs basically the same as a GT premium (and ~4K more than a base Mustang GT).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5