The Official Sixth Gen Camaro Thread!

Started by Gotta-Qik-C7, January 19, 2015, 06:37:04 PM

GoCougs

I'm getting antsy for SS road tests.

It is serious contention for purchase by yours truly. I still have to resolve myself to having two cars though (in theory I would convert the G into a "beater" for snow/biking/skiing, etc.).

FlatBlackCaddy

12,000 RPM

Quote from: GoCougs on August 21, 2015, 06:07:03 PM
I'm getting antsy for SS road tests.

It is serious contention for purchase by yours truly. I still have to resolve myself to having two cars though (in theory I would convert the G into a "beater" for snow/biking/skiing, etc.).
Seems pointless. No track days, no drag strips. And like FBC is saying, it's gonna be heavy. Probably heavier than your G, but a million times less practical. U barely drive as is. What about a used Stingray?
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 22, 2015, 07:35:20 AM
Seems pointless. No track days, no drag strips. And like FBC is saying, it's gonna be heavy. Probably heavier than your G, but a million times less practical. U barely drive as is. What about a used Stingray?
I wouldn't say A MILLION TIME LESS PRACTICAL! Im assuming Cougs is a single guy like me with no kids/wife to haul around. It would suit him just fine especially if he keeps the G as his DD.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

GoCougs

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 22, 2015, 07:35:20 AM

What is going on with this post.

This is neither a track nor drag car.

MY G weighs 3,850 lbs, so it's a match for the current Camaro SS.

I would keep a 2nd car of some sort.

giant_mtb

You're not allowed to buy a sports car unless you do track days, duh. Sporty buys cars and talks about doing track days all the time (but never does, it seems, because he's too busy cooking rice frst), so you can't just buy a Camaro and not talk about track days. It's preposterous!

GoCougs

There are only a few legit track cars I can think of new from the factory - Z/28 and 911 GT3/RS and maybe a Ferrari special or w/e.

And if Sporty new track, he'd know the track tears up a car; tires, brakes and of course the risk of accident. Fun I'm sure, but not thanks.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 22, 2015, 01:09:23 PM
You're not allowed to buy a sports car unless you do track days, duh. Sporty buys cars and talks about doing track days all the time (but never does, it seems, because he's too busy cooking rice frst), so you can't just buy a Camaro and not talk about track days. It's preposterous!

Gotta-Qik-C7

While Shelby is charging 25 Large to add 25 ponies to a Turbo 4 Pot Stang the Camaro is kicking ass!  :rockon: Here's the numbers.
http://jalopnik.com/the-2016-chevrolet-camaro-ss-is-stupid-quick-does-0-to-1730503112

Gotta-Qik-C7

GoCougs

Sweet baby Jesus they delivered on weight. Says the 3,685 lbs is for the 1SS, so the 2SS with the magnetic shocks will undoubtedly weigh more but still...

0-60 in 4.0 sec and 12.2 sec 1/4 mile is right there with the Corvette and M4, and about what I expected. The V6 though is faster than I expected - that is some serious performance for only ~$28k. Braking looks long to me though.

The Mustang and Challenger are quite literally a decade behind. Hard to say how the market will take to the styling and new higher price points but the Camaro is undoubtedly shaping up to be one of the best cars of 2016 and yet another huge performance win for GM.

MX793

The 4-banger is a bit quicker than I would have expected.  I was expecting 5.6-5.7 to 60.  Also a little surprised that the turbo is the only one that sees performance drop with an auto, since turbos typically benefit most from the power-shifting nature of a traditional auto (Ford's Ecoboost is a few ticks quicker with the 6AT than 6MT).  And with the auto having a couple extra ratios...  The 6 is pretty much on point.  Those numbers are pretty similar to what mags were getting with the previous generation V6 Mustang with performance package, maybe a tick better.  Makes me wonder what the Mustang autos will do when Ford dumps the 6AT for the new 10-speed they're working on, since right now the GT clocks the same numbers with either gearbox.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Gotta-Qik-C7

GoCougs

Sweet. Sounds better than the GT350 IMO. Looks better too (at least the body work - GT350 just has too much IMO).

1LE is gonna need the LS7 to run with the GT350.

FlatBlackCaddy

I wanted a gt350 so bad, just can't get over the curb weight.

Maybe in a few generations the mustang will get down there, probably when they go all aloomineum.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on September 20, 2015, 09:09:14 AM
I wanted a gt350 so bad, just can't get over the curb weight.

Maybe in a few generations the mustang will get down there, probably when they go all aloomineum.

It's a steal at $48K. But you should have pre-ordered one.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

MX793

Quote from: GoCougs on September 19, 2015, 07:20:32 PM
Sweet. Sounds better than the GT350 IMO. Looks better too (at least the body work - GT350 just has too much IMO).

1LE is gonna need the LS7 to run with the GT350.

1LE is just a handling package for the SS (analogous to the Mustang's Performance Pack).  It won't be getting a different motor.  GT350 is more of a Z/28 competitor than either a 1LE or ZL1.  The GT500, when it shows up, will be a ZL1 competitor.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

GoCougs

Quote from: MX793 on September 20, 2015, 11:15:25 AM
1LE is just a handling package for the SS (analogous to the Mustang's Performance Pack).  It won't be getting a different motor.  GT350 is more of a Z/28 competitor than either a 1LE or ZL1.  The GT500, when it shows up, will be a ZL1 competitor.

That's the 1LE for the 5th gen. From what I can research no official announcement has been given on what the 1LE will be for the 6th gen (not surprising as it took a 3 years to appear on the 5th gen).

In 5th gen CamaroSpeak a 1LE with a bit more motor is closest to what would compete with the GT350 as the 5th gen Z/28 is far too $$/focused and the ZL1 is a big hp GT punisher. For the 6th gen, the 2SS will be available with MagneRide so significant handling chops are already there.

I doubt an 1LE w/LS7 happens happens since the Corvette has no such analog. I hope I'm wrong though.

MX793

Magnaride only addresses shock stiffness.  The 5th gen 1LE was shocks, springs, stiffer sway bars, beefier brakes, shorter final drive and a more aggressive wheel and tire package.  Also, 1LE was available on either SS trim, whereas I'm pretty sure Magneride will be optional only for the 2SS, and probably bundled as part of a package.  So there's still room for a 1LE package in the line, perhaps priced comparably to or below whatever option gets you the Magneride shocks.  And not just for the 1SS, but also the V6 if GM wants to make sure it has a leg up on the Ecoboost Mustang (which is available with a performance package).  There was no performance or handling package offered on the entry-level gen5 Maro's from the factory.
Needs more Jiggawatts

GoCougs

MagnaRide is hugely more than shock "stiffness." It's a real time damper adjustment which enables advancements elsewhere - tires, springs, chassis stiffness.

MX793

Quote from: GoCougs on September 20, 2015, 11:23:46 PM
MagnaRide is hugely more than shock "stiffness." It's a real time damper adjustment which enables advancements elsewhere - tires, springs, chassis stiffness.

Not every model will have MR shocks (the large majority of Camaros sold will not), so chassis stiffness, etc will need to be designed to work well with traditional shocks.  They can't optimize around them as they could if they were standard equipment.  If it's like many other applications (such as the C6 Corvette), the MR shock option will be shocks-only and not be accompanied by uprated springs and sways.  While upgrading to MR shocks will make noticeable improvements, it will not match a handling package that includes upgraded/stiffer springs and sways, as this (older) article shows:  http://www.caranddriver.com/features/suspensions-of-disbelief-feature

As I said, there's only so much a shock absorber upgrade alone, even MR, can do.  Also doesn't touch other aspects that the outgoing 1LE package upgraded like wider wheels and tires, bigger brakes, and shorter final drive.  Ergo, even with the presence of the MRSC option, there's still room for the 1LE package.
Needs more Jiggawatts

12,000 RPM

Why would anyone want MRSC without all the other go fast goodies though

They should be bundled together IMO.

MX793

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 23, 2015, 02:17:18 PM
Why would anyone want MRSC without all the other go fast goodies though

They should be bundled together IMO.

It offers benefits even by itself.  Because they are dynamic, they can adapt to road surface imperfections on demand to offer a soft ride but reduce or eliminate bottoming out when you do smack a larger bump in the road that a traditional, fixed-rate shock absorber would experience.  Response to rapid transient inputs (lane change maneuvers, sudden hard braking) will be similar to having stiffer springs and sways as the shocks can stiffen themselves up in sport mode or in response to certain inputs, but without the ride penalty when set in comfort mode.  But because dampers resist velocity and not displacement, in slower transients (steady state cornering or otherwise long, sweeping corners) they cannot limit body motion like a setup with stiffer springs and sways will.
Needs more Jiggawatts

GoCougs

Quote from: MX793 on September 21, 2015, 04:34:36 AM
Not every model will have MR shocks (the large majority of Camaros sold will not), so chassis stiffness, etc will need to be designed to work well with traditional shocks.  They can't optimize around them as they could if they were standard equipment.  If it's like many other applications (such as the C6 Corvette), the MR shock option will be shocks-only and not be accompanied by uprated springs and sways.  While upgrading to MR shocks will make noticeable improvements, it will not match a handling package that includes upgraded/stiffer springs and sways, as this (older) article shows:  http://www.caranddriver.com/features/suspensions-of-disbelief-feature

As I said, there's only so much a shock absorber upgrade alone, even MR, can do.  Also doesn't touch other aspects that the outgoing 1LE package upgraded like wider wheels and tires, bigger brakes, and shorter final drive.  Ergo, even with the presence of the MRSC option, there's still room for the 1LE package.

Chassis stiffness can most definitely be tailored for an option package with relatively little work using add-ons such as bracing, bushings and sub frame connection methods (see ZL1, GT500, CTS-V, etc.).

Chassis performance is a holistic, systemic design endeavor and IMO MR alters chassis character too much to simply be an add-on. I'd bet a handsome sum that MR-optioned vehicles have accompanying changes at least somewhere - chassis stiffness and/or sways and/or springs and/or bushings and/or suspension geometry.

I'd also bet a 1LE will have to approach Z28 levels of (severe) compromise to best a MR-equipped SS. As such, my hunch is the 1LE package goes away for lack of distinction leaving the Z28 (and probably watered down to not cost so much) to go head-to-head with the GT350.

MX793

Quote from: GoCougs on September 23, 2015, 04:08:08 PM
Chassis stiffness can most definitely be tailored for an option package with relatively little work using add-ons such as bracing, bushings and sub frame connection methods (see ZL1, GT500, CTS-V, etc.).

Chassis performance is a holistic, systemic design endeavor and IMO MR alters chassis character too much to simply be an add-on. I'd bet a handsome sum that MR-optioned vehicles have accompanying changes at least somewhere - chassis stiffness and/or sways and/or springs and/or bushings and/or suspension geometry.

I'd also bet a 1LE will have to approach Z28 levels of (severe) compromise to best a MR-equipped SS. As such, my hunch is the 1LE package goes away for lack of distinction leaving the Z28 (and probably watered down to not cost so much) to go head-to-head with the GT350.

I wouldn't hold my breath.  Corvette, CTS, DTS... MRC option is not packaged with uprated spring rates or sways.  The ATS 2.0T Premium is the only example I can find where getting MRC automatically gets you the FE3 sport suspension as well.

Based on the order sheets/guides that have been leaked, the F55 MRC suspension option is stand-alone (and estimated at $1,700) for both 1SS or 2SS and no mention of it being packaged with any additional suspension or chassis upgrades (e.g. FE4 performance suspension, strut tower braces, etc).  I predict sways and spring rates will be the same between MRC and non-MRC SSes.
Needs more Jiggawatts

MrH

What do you consider "uprated"? I'm not 100% sure, but different springs rates wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. I can double check, but if there was any benefit to changing the spring rate when switching to magnaride, it would be done without hesitation.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

GoCougs

Quote from: MX793 on September 23, 2015, 08:49:15 PM
I wouldn't hold my breath.  Corvette, CTS, DTS... MRC option is not packaged with uprated spring rates or sways.  The ATS 2.0T Premium is the only example I can find where getting MRC automatically gets you the FE3 sport suspension as well.

Based on the order sheets/guides that have been leaked, the F55 MRC suspension option is stand-alone (and estimated at $1,700) for both 1SS or 2SS and no mention of it being packaged with any additional suspension or chassis upgrades (e.g. FE4 performance suspension, strut tower braces, etc).  I predict sways and spring rates will be the same between MRC and non-MRC SSes.

How do you know MR isn't accompanied by other changes in those other cars? Retail spec sheets aren't going to get into details on sway bar size, spring rates, bushing type, suspension geometry, chassis stiffening, etc.

In looking at factory C7 front suspension parts, they call out three different shock part types - "soft ride suspension," "sport suspension" and "ride & handling susp." Note the first two are about the same price and relatively cheap at ~$90. These are most likely the standard and Z51 shocks, respectively. However, note the "ride & handling susp" shock is more than $400; this is most likely the MagneRide shock. Now note that there are also three different leaf spring types by the same names - "soft ride suspension," "sport suspension" and "ride & handling susp." Unlike the Camaro the Corvette spring is physically separate from the shock so the only logical reason to have a different part number for each spring is because each spring has a unique rate profile.

MX793

In the C&D article comparing suspension options for Corvettes, the MRC option did have its own spring compared to the base to make up for the change from gas charged shocks, which adds a spring component to the damper.  Total spring rate at each corner was the same between MRC and base suspension.

I notice you didn't look for sway bars. (Hint:  there are only 2  ;))
Needs more Jiggawatts