The Official Sixth Gen Camaro Thread!

Started by Gotta-Qik-C7, January 19, 2015, 06:37:04 PM

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on November 18, 2015, 04:54:20 PM
So what exactly are you guys doing in your cars that this is such a problem?
Driving.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: 68_427 on November 18, 2015, 10:29:18 PM
The V6 is 3400lbs

When someone says camaro, they are talking about the V8 car. Atleast on an enthusiast site, what does the V8 weigh?

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

FlatBlackCaddy

3700 lbs, doesn't sound like much of an improvement to me. Still unacceptable.

MX793

How many 4-seat, V8 powered vehicles are on the market today that weigh less than 3600 lbs?  Even V8 2-seaters under 3500 lbs are pretty rare, excluding ultra expensive exotics.  With rare exception, cars in all segments are getting heavier.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

FlatBlackCaddy

Doesn't make it right or acceptable.

There are plenty of lighter options out there, albeit with less HP.

I guess it just comes down to how much you actually care about driving and adhering to ones convictions.

SVT666

That's such a stupid comment. Cars are heavy today, and despite their weight gain, they handle and drive better than ever before.

SVT666

3700 lbs is right there with the Mustang. The weight loss wasn't that dramatic.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: SVT666 on November 19, 2015, 08:01:29 PM
That's such a stupid comment. Cars are heavy today, and despite their weight gain, they handle and drive better than ever before.

You can't change physics.

Modern cars do a great job of masking it, but it still exists. Why do you think cars like the miata are lauded by the automotive press and enthusiast alike?

Lighter is always better.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: SVT666 on November 19, 2015, 08:01:29 PM
:cheers:

GoCougs

FBC screed is as FBC screed does. FBC knows not of what he writes - he just strings a bunch of words together a prays it comes out on the other side making some sort of sense.

As posted previously, the Camaro V8 lost anywhere from ~175 lbs (2SS w/MagneRide) to ~250 lbs (1SS w/out MagneRide). V6 model lost ~300 lbs. That is significant weight savings.

Very few V8 coupes weigh 3,650 lbs or less, and they're all far more expensive and much smaller (i.e., sports cars not 2+2 "coupes"), such as the Corvette or Vantage V8.

The Camaro has rewritten the rules for the class and performance coupes in general; whether that's weight or most anything else that matters.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: GoCougs on November 19, 2015, 08:30:55 PM
FBC screed is as FBC screed does. FBC knows not of what he writes - he just strings a bunch of words together a prays it comes out on the other side making some sort of sense.

As posted previously, the Camaro V8 lost anywhere from ~175 lbs (2SS w/MagneRide) to ~250 lbs (1SS w/out MagneRide). V6 model lost ~300 lbs. That is significant weight savings.

Very few V8 coupes weigh 3,650 lbs or less, and they're all far more expensive and much smaller (i.e., sports cars not 2+2 "coupes"), such as the Corvette or Vantage V8.

The Camaro has rewritten the rules for the class and performance coupes in general; whether that's weight or most anything else that matters.

Lot of math in there, better have your lawyer sign off on all that.

GoCougs

I'd go with a "Blue Velvet Metallic" 1SS w/6MT, MagneRide, dual mode exhaust and gray wheels. The only thing I'm a bit irked about not getting by not going with the 2SS is heated front seats, but I really don't like leather seats.

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

GoCougs

I want to, I really do. I might have some life changes coming up (working out of town for a while) that would make it not a good idea to do for a while.

FlatBlackCaddy

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

12,000 RPM

Quote from: GoCougs on November 18, 2015, 04:54:20 PM
So what exactly are you guys doing in your cars that this is such a problem?
Driving them?  :huh:
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

12,000 RPM

Regarding the 340i vs the Camaro..... yea, if they were talking the M4, or more importantly the M2, they might have a point.

As for the weight of modern cars, BS. For starters, Camaro and Mustang are just too fucking big. M235i has a long ass complicated twin turbo intercooled I6, a bigger, inhabitable rear seat, a bigger trunk, and here's the kicker.... it's over a foot shorter than the new Camaro. I suppose part of it is pony car buyers want a big statement making high presence car, but I think it mostly comes down to completely shitty packaging. Camaro is longer and significantly wider than an E39 5 series, but has essentially no back seat and no trunk. They had a chance to do right and they didn't.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 20, 2015, 03:01:06 PM
Camaro is longer and significantly wider than an E39 5 series, but has essentially no back seat and no trunk. They had a chance to do right and they didn't.
You're comparing a Pony Car to a Hot Sedan/ Sporty Coupe. If you need a big back seat (Camaro buyers don't) and a huge trunk (once again....) you need to buy the SS Sedan and call it a day! The Pony car has ALWAYS been about styling and performance over function!

SVT666

Regarding the 340i vs the Camaro..... yea, if they were talking the M4, or more importantly the M2, they might have a point.

As for the weight of modern cars, BS. For starters, Camaro and Mustang are just too fucking big. M235i has a long ass complicated twin turbo intercooled I6, a bigger, inhabitable rear seat, a bigger trunk, and here's the kicker.... it's over a foot shorter than the new Camaro. I suppose part of it is pony car buyers want a big statement making high presence car, but I think it mostly comes down to completely shitty packaging. Camaro is longer and significantly wider than an E39 5 series, but has essentially no back seat and no trunk. They had a chance to do right and they didn't.
Long hood and short deck are mandatory for pony cars.  Not so for a German sedan/coupe.

MX793

2-series' trunk is smaller than a Mustang's and slightly smaller than a Camaro's.  The 4 series' trunk is the same size as a Camaro's.

Why don't we consider the BMW 6-series for a moment?  Bigger than the 5th gen Camaro outside, smaller than a 2 series inside (except the trunk is a little larger, same size as a Mustang's).  WTF, BMW?

Pony cars, much like the 6-series coupe, are designed to be stylish, not to maximize interior space.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: MX793 on November 20, 2015, 04:32:13 PM
Pony cars, much like the 6-series coupe, are designed to be stylish, not to maximize interior space.

So what happened to the camaro then?

Gotta-Qik-C7

GoCougs

So what's this about the M235i? It looks terrible and the Camaro SS kills it in performance and power.

I think if you had more of an inkling of the size/weight/cost of other hi-po front engine/RWD 2+2 coupes (GTR, RS5, DB9, GranTurismo, Mustang GT, M4) you'd stop with all this caterwauling.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: GoCougs on November 20, 2015, 05:04:33 PM
So what's this about the M235i? It looks terrible and the Camaro SS kills it in performance and power.

I think if you had more of an inkling of the size/weight/cost of other hi-po front engine/RWD 2+2 coupes (GTR, RS5, DB9, GranTurismo, Mustang GT, M4) you'd stop with all this caterwauling.

Camaro looks pretty bad too, especially given its dimensions and proportions. And yea, 50% more HP and only ~10-20% more weight = better straight line performance.

Current M3 is smaller, lighter and roomier than the Camaro with what I'm guessing is a heavier and bigger (dimensionally) engine. Last M3 was significantly smaller and still roomier while having a much bigger (dimensionally) V8. Last M3 and current M4 coupe both have classic coupe proportions.... current Mustang has a very similar silhouette to the current 4 series. Mustang/Camaro today seem no more or less practical than a Foxbody, despite in the Camaro's case at least still having a small OHV V8. Bottom line, pony car packaging sucks. I wouldn't exactly call the Camaro's cartoonish armored truck coupe styling easy on the eyes either.

CaminoRacer

Drifting a pony car is way more fun than a BMW coupe, since you sit further back.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

GoCougs

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 20, 2015, 07:36:50 PM
Camaro looks pretty bad too, especially given its dimensions and proportions. And yea, 50% more HP and only ~10-20% more weight = better straight line performance.

Current M3 is smaller, lighter and roomier than the Camaro with what I'm guessing is a heavier and bigger (dimensionally) engine. Last M3 was significantly smaller and still roomier while having a much bigger (dimensionally) V8. Last M3 and current M4 coupe both have classic coupe proportions.... current Mustang has a very similar silhouette to the current 4 series. Mustang/Camaro today seem no more or less practical than a Foxbody, despite in the Camaro's case at least still having a small OHV V8. Bottom line, pony car packaging sucks. I wouldn't exactly call the Camaro's cartoonish armored truck coupe styling easy on the eyes either.

So why are you consistently so wrong on things so easily determined to be so - do you even Google, bro?

Firstly, the Camaro is the exact length of the e39 5 sedan. The Camaro is wider but also much shorter and of course it weighs 150 lbs less (540i).

Secondly, 10-20% more weight? Jesus, the M235i weighs 3,505 lbs vs. 3,650 lbs for the Camaro 1SS - that's ~4%. And again, it has far less power, less performance, and doesn't look very good. Also note the M235i is some 14" shorter which makes it a much heavier car, proportionately speaking.

Thirdly, the current M3 is only 2.5" shorter, less than 1" narrower but 3" taller, with a smaller engine, and less power, yet, it only weighs ~100 lbs less than a Camaro 1SS. It's easy to make the argument that both the M3 and Camaro weigh proportionately about the same.

Fourth, the last M3 weighed the same as the current Camaro 1SS. Sure, it was smaller, but remember, it had carbon fiber bits and costs almost double vs. a Camaro 1SS.

You don't understand car design nor to you understand the market at large. If and until you do, this angst is gonna eat you up.

Gotta-Qik-C7

MrH

I must admit.

These new Camaros look really fucking good.  They took all the fussy styling elements from the last one and smoothed it all out.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV