The Official Sixth Gen Camaro Thread!

Started by Gotta-Qik-C7, January 19, 2015, 06:37:04 PM

MrH

Yeah. You've got an insanely complicated twin turbo straight six, and an old pooprod V8 making more power and better fuel economy. #PoopRodFoLife
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

GoCougs

That was brutal. Note the M4 has PSS and carbon brakes and the Camaro is slummin' it with crappy-ish Goodyear run flats and steel brakes.

I6 was always kinda crappy. V8 all the way.

GoCougs

Quote from: CaminoRacer on March 03, 2016, 12:40:32 PM
The BMWs aren't classic coupes, that's why they have roomier back seats and trunks. Pony cars have long hoods and short decks. They're not made for practicality, they're made for looking cool and going fast.

Someone doesn't quite grok coupe vs. two-door sedan ;). The M4 looks terrible though.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: CaminoRacer on March 03, 2016, 12:40:32 PM
The BMWs aren't classic coupes, that's why they have roomier back seats and trunks. Pony cars have long hoods and short decks. They're not made for practicality, they're made for looking cool and going fast.
Quote from: GoCougs on March 03, 2016, 08:33:07 PM
Someone doesn't quite grok coupe vs. two-door sedan ;).
:deadhorse"

Quote from: SVT666 on March 03, 2016, 12:49:59 PM
Both Camaro and Mustang prove BMW's M cars are severely overpriced for what you get.  The Camaro and Mustang are absolute world beaters now.  I'm not sure that's something they need to be, but they are.
:hesaid:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

SVT666

The M4 looks great and has a nice back seat, but other than that, the Camaro is every bit as good, has a better soundtrack, and costs half as much. A Mustang GT is nearly as good as the M4, and the GT350 kicks it's ass and still costs less. BMW M cars are not the shit anymore.

12,000 RPM

I agree on the M3 and up but the M2/M235i are just as good a value as any Camaro/Mustang. Better if you ever use the trunk/back seat of your cars. Not as pretty, not as fast, not as :neverforget: but fun and fast in its own right and a worthy flag bearer for the ///M badge.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

SVT666

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 04, 2016, 07:47:20 AM
I agree on the M3 and up but the M2/M235i are just as good a value as any Camaro/Mustang. Better if you ever use the trunk/back seat of your cars. Not as pretty, not as fast, not as :neverforget: but fun and fast in its own right and a worthy flag bearer for the ///M badge.
Not as pretty, not as fast, not as fun, and still a lot more expensive than a Mustang GT and Camaro SS.

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: SVT666 on March 04, 2016, 10:05:04 AM
Not as pretty, not as fast, not as fun, and still a lot more expensive than a Mustang GT and Camaro SS.
Pretty is in the eye of the beholder.... I don't know that I'd call the Camaro "pretty".

M2 is as fast as the Camaro with the same transmission and way faster than the Mustang GT

"Fun" is in the eye of the beholder but -300lbs + shorter wheelbase = more fun, generally speaking

Equally equipped the price is not that big of a deal. M2 is cheaper than an equally equipped M235i and loading up a Camaro SS will make for a price difference of like $4000-5000.

Its right in the mix. I think it was you yourself who said the pony cars are way too expensive and unattainable to Joe Sixpack.... I don't know if I agree but they are definitely in the price range of some high end metal, though they do deliver on value. For someone who won't accept anything but a pony car obviously nothing else will do but I don't think an M2 is out of the price range or comparison of a similarly equipped pony car

SVT666

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 04, 2016, 10:22:49 AM
Pretty is in the eye of the beholder.... I don't know that I'd call the Camaro "pretty".

M2 is as fast as the Camaro with the same transmission and way faster than the Mustang GT

"Fun" is in the eye of the beholder but -300lbs + shorter wheelbase = more fun, generally speaking

Equally equipped the price is not that big of a deal. M2 is cheaper than an equally equipped M235i and loading up a Camaro SS will make for a price difference of like $4000-5000.

Its right in the mix. I think it was you yourself who said the pony cars are way too expensive and unattainable to Joe Sixpack.... I don't know if I agree but they are definitely in the price range of some high end metal, though they do deliver on value. For someone who won't accept anything but a pony car obviously nothing else will do but I don't think an M2 is out of the price range or comparison of a similarly equipped pony car
M2 starts at $53K. A Mustang GT Premium with GT Performance Pack and Recaro seats is just under $42K.  A GT350 is just under $50K and throw in the Track Pack and it's just over $55K.  Camaro 2SS with Performance brakes is just over $45K and with the Magnetic Ride Control is $47K.  Significant price advantage for the pony cars.  In a straight line performance is comparable, but I am willing to bet the Camaro and Mustang would both walk the M2 on a street course.  The Mustang was just as fast as the previous M3 on a road course and the Camaro SS is as fast as the new M4.  You simply will not find better performance and style than the Mustang or Camaro for the price.  The M2 probably comes closest, but it's still not a match based on price alone.  But yes, I still think the Mustang and Camaro are getting too expensive and I would accept less performance if they knocked $5000 off these cars.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Raza  on March 04, 2016, 10:08:55 AM
I just wish the Camaro looked good and/or had windows. 

Just take a page out of the JeepBible and take the doors off. It'll give you another few inches of side visibility.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

GoCougs

Make no mistake - the Camaro has the entire automotive world running wild like scared little school girls.

Gotta-Qik-C7

SVT666

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on March 04, 2016, 04:05:37 PM
Make no mistake - the Camaro has the entire automotive world running wild like scared little school girls.
The Alpha platform is fucking awesome.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: SVT666 on March 04, 2016, 04:14:12 PM
The Alpha platform is fucking awesome.

GM's had some great chassis engineers for decades (starting with Herb Adams), I'm glad they're finally able to let loose and utilize that talent.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Gotta-Qik-C7

SJ_GTI

Quote from: SVT666 on March 04, 2016, 10:44:53 AM
M2 starts at $53K. A Mustang GT Premium with GT Performance Pack and Recaro seats is just under $42K.  A GT350 is just under $50K and throw in the Track Pack and it's just over $55K.  Camaro 2SS with Performance brakes is just over $45K and with the Magnetic Ride Control is $47K.  Significant price advantage for the pony cars.  In a straight line performance is comparable, but I am willing to bet the Camaro and Mustang would both walk the M2 on a street course.  The Mustang was just as fast as the previous M3 on a road course and the Camaro SS is as fast as the new M4.  You simply will not find better performance and style than the Mustang or Camaro for the price.  The M2 probably comes closest, but it's still not a match based on price alone.  But yes, I still think the Mustang and Camaro are getting too expensive and I would accept less performance if they knocked $5000 off these cars.

FWIW, the M2 "starts" at 53k because it comes practically fully loaded. The only options are the "executive package" (1,250, essentially some safety stuff like rear view camera, etc...) and the automatic transmission (2,900).

SVT666

Quote from: SJ_GTI on March 07, 2016, 06:41:35 AM
FWIW, the M2 "starts" at 53k because it comes practically fully loaded. The only options are the "executive package" (1,250, essentially some safety stuff like rear view camera, etc...) and the automatic transmission (2,900).
Regardless, it's still substantially more expensive than the Camaro and Mustang.  Both either match or outperform it.

Gotta-Qik-C7

SJ_GTI

Quote from: GoCougs on March 31, 2016, 12:49:43 AM
Now available for free:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D87tO7VUs2I

Fantastic vid. Hope M/T keeps this up.

It was interesting to see the differences between the cars, but man the presentation is annoying.

Xer0

It sounds like the M4s big problem is the engine and steering 'feel'.  Really loved the video though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrH

Wow. Camaro demolished the M4 in everything subjective related. Didn't expect that at all.

They're right though. The worst thing going for that car is the Chevy badge and Camaro name. I think it actually looks really good now.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

MexicoCityM3

Meh. I am going to continue to be a prototipycal snob and say "but it's still a Camaro".

I loved the M4 I drove on track 18 months ago. And now there is a competition package that improves it a bit.

I can look at Cadillac, but this - not my style.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

MrH

Yeah, being the envy of all the hillbillies around here is not very enticing :lol:

Camaro is the dream car for so much white trash around here.  Tons take out crazy 7 year loans and can't pay their bills, but sure enough they have a yellow camaro with bumblebee shit all over it.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

GoCougs

Quote from: SJ_GTI on March 31, 2016, 06:32:13 AM
It was interesting to see the differences between the cars, but man the presentation is annoying.

That Cammisa fella was unwatchable in the GT350 vs. Z28 vid but here that annoyance was mostly gone (I'm sure producers told him to knock it off). Just an interesting take on a comparo video. I liked it and if they keep it up they're be a big force (IMO M/T has long surpassed C&D because of their online content).

12,000 RPM

Mustang GT is still the best actual "spend your $$$ and live with every day car" in this "faster than a Countach, cheaper than a contractor's F-150 sports coupes" segment

But the Camaro is without a doubt the bench racing king right now. GT-R has priced itself out of the discussion- I would bet the 10AT ZL1 will meet it from 0-100

And yea Jason Cammisa reminds me of one of a dude who "stopped being nice and decided to be an asshole". He talks hella shit but then bitches up when Randy Pobst is warping spacetime.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: MrH on March 31, 2016, 08:28:36 AM
Wow. Camaro demolished the M4 in everything subjective related. Didn't expect that at all.

They're right though. The worst thing going for that car is the Chevy badge and Camaro name. I think it actually looks really good now.

You're right, other than the Badge and camaro name and it's looks and it's weight, it's an amazing car.

GoCougs

Quote from: Xer0 on March 31, 2016, 08:04:04 AM
It sounds like the M4s big problem is the engine and steering 'feel'.  Really loved the video though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And shifter, and ride, and brakes and even engine note ;). They were a bit more critical of the Camaro in the write-up - interior design, visibility, exterior styling (but I think they're crazy as the Camaro looks way better than the M4), reputation.

The thing is there is no reason why the M4 can't be twice as good. They mention the Europeans ("European government" Cammisa says ;)) are hamstrung even more so than Americans when it comes to fuel economy, which forces their hand into turbo motors, but thing is, the Camaro SS has a bit better official stats (lags a bit in M/T but has much better w/A/T), yet it is heavier, more powerful and quicker.