The Official Sixth Gen Camaro Thread!

Started by Gotta-Qik-C7, January 19, 2015, 06:37:04 PM

68_427

Carlos said the v6 1le is "cute" and a total sweetheart.  I think he mentioned slight rev hang and long 2-3 throw as things that aren't quite perfect but that's all.  He said it's a well rounded package.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 68_427 on December 27, 2016, 03:05:42 AM
Carlos said the v6 1le is "cute" and a total sweetheart.  I think he mentioned slight rev hang and long 2-3 throw as things that aren't quite perfect but that's all.  He said it's a well rounded package.

Sounds a lot like a Versa S ...
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Quote from: GoCougs on December 02, 2016, 09:29:04 AM
Stock 2017 ZL1 6MT vs. stock 2017 Z06 7MT: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D25GwFG1dzk

Hennessy races them from a roll up to ~130 mph. Many races, and they're basically tied, with maybe a wee bit of an advantage for the Z06 (less than a car length) right at the end.

I've been saying it for some time - I would not be surprised of the ZL1 is the better performance car. Sure, it's heavier and much bigger, so it won't probably have the raw track numbers, but the chassis looks to be better suited for all that RWD power, and I think it will be a better drive and more controllable (= more confidence inspiring).

Sounds like Z06 missed a gear and lost some ground.  It was pulling before and after that.  Strange they didn't make more runs (or at least didn't show them)

GoCougs

If the Z06 missed a shift it would have been dropped by car lengths.

Top speed vids are showing the ZL1 to have a bit shorter gearing which if true would about offset the Z06's ~10% power/weight advantage. Run them out further and the Z06 would probably pull ahead as it's a much smaller car.

MX793

Quote from: GoCougs on December 28, 2016, 01:09:13 PM
If the Z06 missed a shift it would have been dropped by car lengths.

Top speed vids are showing the ZL1 to have a bit shorter gearing which if true would about offset the Z06's ~10% power/weight advantage. Run them out further and the Z06 would probably pull ahead as it's a much smaller car.

There was definitely something going on with one of the upshifts in the Vette.  You hear right at the 3 minute mark where the Z06 driver blips the throttle mid-upshift like they couldn't get it into gear and were trying to rev-match into gear.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

GoCougs

Quote from: MX793 on December 28, 2016, 02:05:34 PM
There was definitely something going on with one of the upshifts in the Vette.  You hear right at the 3 minute mark where the Z06 driver blips the throttle mid-upshift like they couldn't get it into gear and were trying to rev-match into gear.

I saw that but that was only one shot from one race. See second half of the vid - they ran multiple races with the same noted (tie) result.

68_427

Can't wait to see the V6 1LE vs M2 Head 2 Head.  I've got no doubts the M2 is a better car in nearly every way, but I'm excited to see how close the Camaro can get to being competitive.
'racecar is die'
no

12,000 RPM

The Camaro is definitely the better car for magazine comparisons, but I'd want nothing to do with that battleship in a daily driving capacity.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

68_427

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 13, 2017, 05:51:54 AM
The Camaro is definitely the better car for magazine comparisons, but I'd want nothing to do with that battleship in a daily driving capacity.

Your wife can see out of it fine.  This time the Camaro is definitely out muscled and the hardware and chassis tuning on the M2 are pretty much sport on.  I feel like this will be a "If you can't afford the M2 can you be happy with the Camaro?" type comparison.
'racecar is die'
no

MX793

Quote from: 68_427 on January 13, 2017, 05:58:12 AM
Your wife can see out of it fine.  This time the Camaro is definitely out muscled and the hardware and chassis tuning on the M2 are pretty much sport on.  I feel like this will be a "If you can't afford the M2 can you be happy with the Camaro?" type comparison.

If I couldn't afford an M2, I'd get a Mustang GTPP before paying more for a V6 1LE.  Usable trunk and the ability to actually see out of the car and all...
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

12,000 RPM

Quote from: 68_427 on January 13, 2017, 05:58:12 AM
M2 outguns it on power + power/weight, but 1LE has the magic magnetic shocks right? If so it's def got the M2 beat chassis wise. M2 wins for me simply because it will def be a nicer car to live with on a day to day basis.

GoCougs

Quote from: 68_427 on January 13, 2017, 05:21:43 AM
Can't wait to see the V6 1LE vs M2 Head 2 Head.  I've got no doubts the M2 is a better car in nearly every way, but I'm excited to see how close the Camaro can get to being competitive.

Well, the Camaro looks 10x better, so there's that ;).

Not sure why the comparison vs. the V6 - the base MSRPs are not even in the same universe at $34k vs. $56k. The SS 1LE is closer at $46k, and it of course crushes the M2 in track performance.

68_427

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 13, 2017, 06:34:40 AM
M2 outguns it on power + power/weight, but 1LE has the magic magnetic shocks right? If so it's def got the M2 beat chassis wise. M2 wins for me simply because it will def be a nicer car to live with on a day to day basis.

No it doesn't.  Regular shocks from the SS.

@COUGS THE COMPARISON CAME FROM THE LEFTOVER CARS THAT DIDNT MAKE THE BEST DRIVERS CAR FEATURE
'racecar is die'
no

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: GoCougs on January 13, 2017, 06:43:24 AM
Well, the Camaro looks 10x better, so there's that ;).

Not sure why the comparison vs. the V6 - the base MSRPs are not even in the same universe at $34k vs. $56k. The SS 1LE is closer at $46k, and it of course crushes the M2 in track performance.

:hesaid:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

GoCougs

M/T On Demand has a review up of the 2017 ZL1. In Pobst's hands on Big Willow the 6MT turned a time ahead of the C7 Grand Sport, AMG GT S and 911 GT3, among others, and just behind the GT-R NISMO. He also tested a 10A but it was actually a bit slower. The Z06 was notably quicker (by more than a second) but they said the ZL1 is far easier to live with and far more confidence inspiring.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: GoCougs on February 20, 2017, 07:25:55 PM
M/T On Demand has a review up of the 2017 ZL1. In Pobst's hands on Big Willow the 6MT turned a time ahead of the C7 Grand Sport, AMG GT S and 911 GT3, among others, and just behind the GT-R NISMO. He also tested a 10A but it was actually a bit slower. The Z06 was notably quicker (by more than a second) but they said the ZL1 is far easier to live with and far more confidence inspiring.
:rockon:

68_427

Quote from: GoCougs on February 20, 2017, 07:25:55 PM

The 10A was much quicker at the end of the straits but Randy kept his minimum speed higher in the 6MT car somehow.  Turn 9 he slowed to 90mph in the auto but only to 96 in the Manual which is why the manual was faster.  I wonder if the wider spaced gearing provides just enough traction compared to the 10A to give him a little more confidence through the apex...

I just re watched the lap a couple more times and the apex speed in the 6MT car was always at least a couple mph higher. 
'racecar is die'
no

GoCougs

Interesting analysis. I think the graphics are more or less for show. For example, in the below screen shot, the cars are at virtually the same spot in the track yet the cursor shows the 6MT a ways ahead and the 6MT HUD speedo says 116 mph but the video shows only 97 mph:

He lets the 10A shift itself. It's apparently pretty good but how far in advance of a corner can it predict the need to downshift, and to which gear? Does it know not to shift in tight(er) corners? It could be a confidence thing but I think the devil's in the details. If the 10A gets any one of those many moves or predictions less than ideal over an entire road course, and that's about the margin of the difference between the times - 1:26.15 vs. 1:26.47.

12,000 RPM

A third of a second is nothing over an 80-90 second lap

The 10A seems superfluous though.... I race the C7 Z06 in Forza with the 8A and that is too much. The engine is so torquey you can lug the hell out of it and still have good drive. Actually its almost better to keep it a gear low.... easy to overwhelm with 650lb-ft. Such a weird pairing

68_427

Quote from: GoCougs on February 21, 2017, 12:13:25 AM
Interesting analysis. I think the graphics are more or less for show. For example, in the below screen shot, the cars are at virtually the same spot in the track yet the cursor shows the 6MT a ways ahead and the 6MT HUD speedo says 116 mph but the video shows only 97 mph:

He lets the 10A shift itself. It's apparently pretty good but how far in advance of a corner can it predict the need to downshift, and to which gear? Does it know not to shift in tight(er) corners? It could be a confidence thing but I think the devil's in the details. If the 10A gets any one of those many moves or predictions less than ideal over an entire road course, and that's about the margin of the difference between the times - 1:26.15 vs. 1:26.47.

Good point.  You're a better detective than I.
'racecar is die'
no

12,000 RPM

Fuck, just watched the MT vid. This thing is the new GT-R. Except unlike the GT-R, there's no question about its character or engagement. It's the complete package.

*EDIT* Some lap times for your consumption:

http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/willow-springs

'15 GT-R was ~4 seconds slower :mask: $150K Nismo GT-R is only ~.5s faster :mask:

68_427

Randy Pobst did run a 1:25.87 with the A10 after playing with the tire pressures. They didn't capture that with the vbox, only
the onboard PDR, so they didn't use it as the official time.   So there's that
'racecar is die'
no

GoCougs

lol that's tied with the McLaren 650S...

CaminoRacer

Chevy engineers ain't playin around anymore. This is fun to watch.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Eye of the Tiger

It would probably be faster with a two speed powerglide with a manual valvebody and a high stall torque converter.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: CaminoRacer on February 22, 2017, 06:10:16 AM
Chevy engineers ain't playin around anymore. This is fun to watch.
YOU GOT THAT RIGHT! I can't wait to see what the C8 does!!!

68_427

So here is what had been thought to be the Z/28...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCr7Rvw8ihM

Quote2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE Sets Benchmark for Track Capability

Special aero, adjustable suspension, exclusive tires drive unprecedented performance for a production sports car

DAYTONA, Fla. — Chevrolet has established a new performance benchmark with the introduction of the 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE — the most track-capable Camaro ever.

Taking the track-focused 1LE formula to an unprecedented level, the ZL1 1LE incorporates racing-based suspension and aero technologies, as well as exclusive Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 3R summer-only tires,* in an extreme track performance package.

"The track-focused 1LE package offers progressive levels of performance across the Camaro lineup, from the V6 1LE to the SS 1LE," said Al Oppenheiser, Camaro chief engineer. "But with the new ZL1 1LE, the progression takes a quantum leap — this is the ultimate track-day Camaro."

In preliminary testing, the new ZL1 1LE was 3 seconds faster than the standard ZL1 Coupe around General Motors' 2.9-mile, 18-turn Milford Road Course test track.

The improved track performance is driven by four key elements:

Aerodynamics: New aero features including a carbon fiber rear wing, specific air deflectors and dive planes on the front fascia produce grip-generating downforce to help the car stick harder and drive faster in turns.
Adjustable suspension: The ZL1 1LE features racing-derived, lightweight Multimatic DSSV® (Dynamic Suspension Spool Valve) dampers front and rear for exceptional wheel and vehicle control. The front-end ride height is adjustable with the front dampers, which are used with all-new, adjustable camber plates. The rear stabilizer bar also offers three-way adjustability. All of the components are designed for quick changes at the track for optimal performance and a quick return to street settings when the track day ends.
Wheels and tires: New, lightweight forged aluminum wheels are an inch wider but an inch smaller in diameter, front and rear, than standard ZL1 wheels and are used with new Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 3R tires that deliver max lateral grip of 1.10g. Developed exclusively for the Camaro ZL1 1LE, the 3R tires are designed to warm up faster to help maintain more consistent grip and speed, lap after lap. The overall footprint grows approximately 10 percent over the ZL1, but the wheel-and-tire package weighs about 1.5 pounds (3.3 kg) less per corner.
Lighter weight: The lighter wheels and dampers, along with reduced thickness rear glass and a fixed-back rear seat, contribute to an approximately 60-pound (27 kg) lower curb weight than a standard ZL1 Coupe.

"The new Camaro ZL1 1LE offers the supreme track experience," said Mark Dickens, executive director, Chevrolet Performance Variants, Parts and Motorsports Engineering. "It's the pinnacle of Camaro performance and advances the 1LE's nearly 30-year legacy of uncompromising, track-tailored capability."

The power behind the ZL1 1LE is the 650-horsepower, supercharged LT4 engine backed by a six-speed manual transmission featuring Active Rev Match. Brembo brakes, including red calipers with the 1LE logo, are also included. Additional standard features include dual-zone automatic climate control, Bose premium audio system, heated/ventilated front seats and heated steering wheel.

The 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE goes on sale later this year. Pricing will be announced closer to the on-sale date.
'racecar is die'
no

68_427

'racecar is die'
no

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

CALL_911