Best Car City

Started by hotrodalex, January 23, 2015, 02:01:50 PM

hotrodalex

What is the best city for a car enthusiast to live in?

Lots of factors can come into play:

- weather
- fun driving roads
- # of car shows/other enthusiasts
- good mechanic shops
- junkyards/parts availability
- cost of living (more money spent on house = less spent on cars)
- etc

hotrodalex

Some of my top cities:

Charlotte
Lots of twisty roads nearby, lots of Nascar history in the area, quite a few racetracks around, good weather.

Malibu
Exotic cars, twisty roads, So Cal weather. Only downfall is traffic in LA and cost of living.

Cincinnati
Kind of a central location to tons of car shows in the midwest, twisty roads if you go east or south of the city, good CoL. Downfall: winters are cold and cars can get rusty.

Gotta-Qik-C7

I'd have to go with LA also!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Laconian

If you factor in traffic, I don't think LA would win here.
Seattle is totally disqualified for the same reason.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

FlatBlackCaddy

I've thought about this before, in preparation for an eventual(hopefully) move.

I made a map, I just moved the circle around until most of the tracks where within the outer ring(300 miles, one way). From there I would zoom in and find the area with the best roads. SE indiana(by the kentucky/ohio border) looked pretty good. Good distance to atleast a half a dozen tracks, about 30 mile drive to some bad ass mountain roads and at one point I looked and found some very nice towns in that area(per employment, demographics, living conditions, etc).

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Eye of the Tiger

There ain't shit for public accessible race tracks in SC. Pisses me off.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Cookie Monster

Bay area.

Pros: giant car scene, only second to Socal.
Miles and miles of twisty mountain roads, most of which lead to beaches.
Mild weather for year round fun.

Cons: cost of living.
SMOG and difficulty in doing worthwhile mods
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Byteme

Rich

Weather and fun driving roads I'd have to say Acapulco.  I was looking for a place with fun roads and the best climate and that looked the best to me.  I don't know the car scene/repair shops down there though.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

SVT666

Where I live.  Tons of twisty two lane mountain roads with no police, great weather for 8 months a year, and fun snow driving for 2 months. 

Rupert

Eugene, OR. North coast CA. Asheville, NC.

Screw car shows, they're lame.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Rupert

Quote from: CLKid on January 23, 2015, 07:19:47 PM
Las Vegas

What about Vegas makes it a good place for car enthusiasm? Roads are straight, traffic is bad, weather is horrrrible.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Rich

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

SVT666

Quote from: HotRodPilot on January 23, 2015, 10:26:49 PM
Lol, no

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelowna#Climate
Ummm, we have great weather for 8 months of the year. Summers are blistering hot, and the shoulder seasons are very comfortable. It barely ever rains, and the winters are mild.  Most winter days are right around 32F, and I usually just wear a hoodie in the winter.

Byteme

Quote from: Rupert on January 23, 2015, 10:05:52 PM
What about Vegas makes it a good place for car enthusiasm? Roads are straight, traffic is bad, weather is horrrrible.

I like the area.  It's near Santa Fe, Albuquerque.  Challenging mountain roads nearby.  What's not to like?

MX793

Quote from: SVT666 on January 24, 2015, 09:25:42 AM
Ummm, we have great weather for 8 months of the year. Summers are blistering hot, and the shoulder seasons are very comfortable. It barely ever rains, and the winters are mild.  Most winter days are right around 32F, and I usually just wear a hoodie in the winter.

According to the Wiki article, it rains 1 out of every 3 days there from May thru September on average.  That's a bit less rainy than here, and a lot less rainy than a Florida summer, but not what I'd call "hardly ever rains".  It hardly ever rains in San Diego in the summer.  Heck, Seattle, for all it's rainy reputation, has fewer rainy summer days by roughly 25%.  Unless it's one of those places were is rains lightly for an hour and then is fine the rest of the day.  I see that despite only having 20% more rainy days here in the summer, we get 250% the actual rainfall (when it rains here, it typically rains throughout the day).

And our summers are similar in high temperature (our average lows are much higher, resulting in a higher mean temp), and I don't consider them "blistering".  Quite comfortable, overall, really.  The hottest days can approach "blistering" when heat index is factored in, but there's barely a handful of those a year.  Atlanta is "blistering hot" in the summer.  Jacksonville is "blistering hot" in the summer.  Phoenix is "blistering hot" in the summer.

You guys get 5 months with zero snowy days.  I'll give you 6, maybe 7 months of "good" weather.  Less by my definition, which is weather I can motorcycle in without an insulated jacket, non-mesh gloves, or long johns (temperatures above 65F).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

SVT666

Quote from: MX793 on January 24, 2015, 10:10:24 AM
According to the Wiki article, it rains 1 out of every 3 days there from May thru September on average.  That's a bit less rainy than here, and a lot less rainy than a Florida summer, but not what I'd call "hardly ever rains".  It hardly ever rains in San Diego in the summer.  Heck, Seattle, for all it's rainy reputation, has fewer rainy summer days by roughly 25%.  Unless it's one of those places were is rains lightly for an hour and then is fine the rest of the day.  I see that despite only having 20% more rainy days here in the summer, we get 250% the actual rainfall (when it rains here, it typically rains throughout the day).

And our summers are similar in high temperature (our average lows are much higher, resulting in a higher mean temp), and I don't consider them "blistering".  Quite comfortable, overall, really.  The hottest days can approach "blistering" when heat index is factored in, but there's barely a handful of those a year.  Atlanta is "blistering hot" in the summer.  Jacksonville is "blistering hot" in the summer.  Phoenix is "blistering hot" in the summer.

You guys get 5 months with zero snowy days.  I'll give you 6, maybe 7 months of "good" weather.  Less by my definition, which is weather I can motorcycle in without an insulated jacket, non-mesh gloves, or long johns (temperatures above 65F).
It rains a lot in June, but it doesn't rain at all in July and August.  That's why we're considered a desert. And when it does rain here it's only for half an hour.  Total precipitation for the entire year is less than 15".  As for snowy days, we might get a snow in late November, and it melts right away, but snow lasts a week at most usually, because it melts right away. Most of our winter is spent above freezing and no snow.  We usually don't have snow on Christmas either.

100F is blistering hot for Canada.

MX793

Quote from: SVT666 on January 24, 2015, 11:06:09 AM
It rains a lot in June, but it doesn't rain at all in July and August.  That's why we're considered a desert. And when it does rain here it's only for half an hour.  Total precipitation for the entire year is less than 15".  As for snowy days, we might get a snow in late November, and it melts right away, but snow lasts a week at most usually, because it melts right away. Most of our winter is spent above freezing and no snow.  We usually don't have snow on Christmas either.

The average high temperature there from May thru September is 75F.  The average high on the hottest month is low 80s with relatively low humidity.  Record high is just over 100F, but how frequently does that really happen?  Record high here is similar, but I can't remember the last time it actually hit triple digits (heat index has kissed that mark a few times, but actual ambient has only been ~89-92).  I've been in Jacksonville and Georgia in the summer when it was 100+ degrees with 65-75% humidity.  That's sweltering.  I spent some time in southern Arizona for work when it was upwards of 115F.  Spent some time working/crawling on equipment that was outdoors and baking in the sun, so long sleeves and pants (and gloves) were a must to avoid burns.  The days when it was only 95-100 actually weren't bad.  No worse than a humid (65-70%), low 80s day here.  115 was HOT, even with <20% humidity.  80s and ~35% humidity isn't all that hot.  A bit cooler than southern New Mexico in the late summer.  I can still wear jeans or khakis at that temperature and not feel like I was going to die from heat stroke.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

SVT666

Quote from: MX793 on January 24, 2015, 12:13:38 PM
The average high temperature there from May thru September is 75F.  The average high on the hottest month is low 80s with relatively low humidity.  Record high is just over 100F, but how frequently does that really happen?  Record high here is similar, but I can't remember the last time it actually hit triple digits (heat index has kissed that mark a few times, but actual ambient has only been ~89-92).  I've been in Jacksonville and Georgia in the summer when it was 100+ degrees with 65-75% humidity.  That's sweltering.  I spent some time in southern Arizona for work when it was upwards of 115F.  Spent some time working/crawling on equipment that was outdoors and baking in the sun, so long sleeves and pants (and gloves) were a must to avoid burns.  The days when it was only 95-100 actually weren't bad.  No worse than a humid (65-70%), low 80s day here.  115 was HOT, even with <20% humidity.  80s and ~35% humidity isn't all that hot.  A bit cooler than southern New Mexico in the late summer.  I can still wear jeans or khakis at that temperature and not feel like I was going to die from heat stroke.
That's awesome, but I think you missed the part where I said it was blistering for Canada.  In the month of July we get near the record high quite a bit.  But I'm not going to argue with you about the weather in a place I live and you have never been to.

Rupert

Quote from: SVT666 on January 24, 2015, 11:06:09 AM

Uh, that's not a desert, it's barely even semi-arid.

Rupert

Quote from: CLKid on January 24, 2015, 09:52:08 AM
I like the area.  It's near Santa Fe, Albuquerque.  Challenging mountain roads nearby.  What's not to like?

What challenging mountain roads nearby?

What's not to like? Boring roads, heat, traffic (and that's just the stuff related to car enthusiasm).

MX793

Quote from: CLKid on January 24, 2015, 09:52:08 AM

Albuquerque and Sante Fe are like 600 miles away from Vegas.
Needs more Jiggawatts

Rupert

IMO, for many reasons, Vegas is just about as close to Hell City on Earth as we can get in this country.

hotrodalex

Vegas has SEMA and it's fun to cruise the stripe in a flashy loud car, but otherwise it's meh.

veeman

I think the U.S. speed enforcement policies eliminate any city in the U.S. from consideration as best car city in terms of actual driving enjoyment.

Rupert

Bollocks. There are plenty of places to drive fast.

MX793

Quote from: Rupert on January 24, 2015, 02:38:39 PM
Bollocks. There are plenty of places to drive fast.

And there are roads on which you don't need to exceed the speed limit to have fun.
Needs more Jiggawatts

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: MX793 on January 24, 2015, 02:45:01 PM
And there are roads on which you don't need to exceed the speed limit to have fun.

Maybe in a Miata
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Lebowski

God, Vegas would be the last place in the US I'd live.