Waze : the cop killing social navigation app

Started by Eye of the Tiger, January 29, 2015, 06:05:33 PM

Eye of the Tiger

Two days ago, I had no idea what Waze was, nor did I care. Yesterday, I heard a report on the radio about how cops are complaining about the app and how it revealed the locations of speed traps and some other bullshit about how it puts their lives at risk... just like in the story linked below.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/us-sheriffs-expand-concerns-waze-mobile-traffic-app-083418026--politics.html

So I obviously had to download it and start using it right away. Yup, it works. I wish people wouldn't report potholes, but I am otherwise quite pleasesd with the traffic and police reports.

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

MexicoCityM3

I use it almost every time I get in my car. Haven't killed any cops yet.

King Wazer here. In a large city like MC it's indispensable unless you enjoy living in a standstill car.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on January 29, 2015, 06:08:31 PM

King Wazer here. In a large city like MC it's indispensable unless you enjoy living in a standstill car.

How to you get to King level? I have a damn pacifier in my mouth. Lame. It's hard to get points.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 29, 2015, 06:12:36 PM
How to you get to King level? I have a damn pacifier in my mouth. Lame. It's hard to get points.

You use it almost every day for two or three years and report a few things each day.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Eye of the Tiger

I need to report a parked car... In my driveway... Bonus points!
This might finally push me to get a dash mount for my phone.

CALL_911

Haha I did the same thing. Downloaded it as soon as I heard about the cop thing

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

r0tor

I like the app and use it from time to time.  I find it particularly useful on trips driving at night in bad weather - nice to get notices of abandoned cars and shit on the road ahead of time.  Same with getting a heads up on a traffic jam or slow moving traffic.  Seeing speed traps is also a nice thing.

The police issue with Waze is completely retarded.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Speed_Racer

I used to use it on road trips, super helpful! Though their reroute algorithm was a little wonky.

I haven't used it since Google bought them out - Google Maps does pull accident reports from Waze and report them in Navigation, though I do miss the speed trap notices

Soup DeVille

Use Waze, and also Trapster; pretty useful, but the bullshit whining from the police here is pretty funny.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

NomisR

I had it installed but never thought to use it. The police complaints actually had me start using it again.

Rupert

I should try that next time I drive a long distance. I don't speed enough around town to justify it. ID limits are decent, but ID drivers are slow, and there is still a ~10 mph cushion above the limit.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

MX793

Quote from: r0tor on January 29, 2015, 06:38:30 PM
I like the app and use it from time to time.  I find it particularly useful on trips driving at night in bad weather - nice to get notices of abandoned cars and shit on the road ahead of time.  Same with getting a heads up on a traffic jam or slow moving traffic.  Seeing speed traps is also a nice thing.

The police issue with Waze is completely retarded.

The cops complaining are likely the same bunch who would pull motorists over for flashing their lights at other motorists to warn of speed traps.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

AutobahnSHO

I was wondering why people on the interstate are jamming on the brakes for no reason sometimes.

OH NOEZ MY SMAAARTPHONE TELLS ME WHAT TO DO
Will

NomisR

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 30, 2015, 10:20:57 AM
I was wondering why people on the interstate are jamming on the brakes for no reason sometimes.

OH NOEZ MY SMAAARTPHONE TELLS ME WHAT TO DO

Those are typically asshole drivers not paying attention or they simply don't know how to drive.  While it does have something to do with cell phones, it's not likely it has anything to do with this app. 

hotrodalex

Saw a dummy slam on the brakes for a second last night. Pulled next to him later and noticed a radar detector on the dash. I'm guessing he got a bad reading. lol

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on January 29, 2015, 06:08:31 PM

Same here!!! I just made king status last month!  :cheers:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Eye of the Tiger

NomisR

I noticed a lot of my friends started using Waze.. i turned into a Zombie..

Eye of the Tiger