Ferrari supposedly unveiling turbo 458 tomorrow

Started by 12,000 RPM, February 02, 2015, 01:58:47 PM

12,000 RPM

Pardon the source pls, dont kill the messenger.

http://jalopnik.com/the-turbocharged-ferrari-458m-could-be-650-horsepower-o-1683300520

QuoteLast year, Ferrari released the California T, the first turbocharged car from Maranello since the F40 some 25 years earlier. Tomorrow, Ferrari will unveil its updated 458M, a mid-engined V8 Ferrari that is supposed to have 650 or more horsepower thanks to a little hair dryer attached to the engine. It'll probably be magnificent.

n

o

2015 Ferrari California T: This Is It

Meet the brand new Ferrari California T. As in turbo. A 560 horsepower 3.8-liter twin-turbo to be...Read more

Right now, the party piece of the 458 is the high-strung 4.5 liter V8. It's a monster that runs all the way up to 9,000 RPM and makes Alanis Morisette sound like she has no clue what screaming is.

This new 458 doesn't have a 9,000 RPM redline. It has an 8,000 RPM redline, which is almost pathetic. I used to pedal my big wheel that fast.

But that's because it has a turbo. And it makes turbo power. Rumor has it that the 458M (M means "modificata," but it could be called the 458T or another, totally random name) could make up to 670 horsepower from the 3.8 liter V8 that is expected to sit in the middle of the car.

That's enough power to thoroughly destroy the McLaren 650S and it's piddling 650 horsepower. But will it ruin the essence of the 458? We'll have to wait and see.

I knew this was coming, just not so soon. IMO, the California T at least sounds exactly like the MR V8 Ferraris I've driven, so in that regard I'm not scared. I'm sure they won't botch throttle response either. I'm mainly concerned about the weight. They will have to cut whatever the turbo stuff adds.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

AutobahnSHO

meh I don't care. :huh:

How many thousands of gallons of air does it take to burn a gallon of gas again??? the more air the better. 
Will

Gotta-Qik-C7

It's starting to feel like the "Turbo happy" 80s again! When everything from an Omni to a T Bird to the F40 had a Turbo strapped to it!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Eye of the Tiger

I hope some of the sweet 80s styling comes back.

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

FlatBlackCaddy

:huh:

I still see alot of barns that look like that.