Cadillac CT6 Flagship to Make Debut: March 31st 2015 at NYIAS / Latest Caddy Updates

Started by Atomic, February 07, 2015, 05:51:38 PM

MX793

Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

2o6

The SRX has only just begun to slow sales, replacing it sooner would have been dumb.

The XT5's release date is in a few weeks.

The Alpha platform yet again, 1 billion dollars ain't shit - MQB and other modular platforms for cars with less profit margins cost more or at least the same, and yet again - Zeta and Sigma were old platforms.

Secondly, Alpha sounds more modular. I would not be surprised if the stretched, and jacked it in the air for a RWD based Cadillac CUV - more akin to the X5 than the RX.

Besides - the Q5 fighter is the fucking SRX. And it's been selling strongly since its instruction.

2o6

Quote from: MX793 on January 29, 2016, 08:54:18 AM
Is the XT5 not a Q5 competitor?

It is! The SRX matched the Q5's performance and dimensions basically tit for tat. 3.6L, or earlier cars had the mediocre 2.8 twin turbo.

12,000 RPM

SRX is 8" longer and is classified as a midsize.... Q5 is a compact. They are not competitors
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

SJ_GTI

How is the SRX/XT5 not a Q5 fighter? It seems to line up pretty straight up with the X3/Q5/GLK. Its a little bigger, but not a full class up. Escalade competes (and handily outsells) the X5+/Q7/Whatever.

Caddy needs something smaller than the XT5 I think, but that isn't going to make or break them any more than having good sedans, but every report from inside and outside GM says Cadillac is targeting something like 5 SUV's (likely 4 CUV's of various sizes + the Escalade). Right now the SRX/Escalade cover the biggest sectors of the SUV markets and they are expanding in to the smaller (but growing) niches. But they need platforms first, which is what GM is investing in.

GoCougs

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 29, 2016, 08:17:41 AM
Lol

1 your #s are optimistic. Take $10K off your ATS/CTS ATPs.

2, revenues <> profits (ask Apple's competitors)

3, surprised at you. Camaro & CTS existed before the Alpha platform. And in the CTS case, it had HIGHER ATP, volume and presumably profit as well (nowhere near as many incentives as are on the ATS/CTS now). Again Infiniti is outselling the ATS/CTS with their 13 year old platform, and you yourself have proudly boasted about how the old Camaro bests the new Mustang dynamically. So wat exactly has the $1B investment in the Alpha platform netted GM that they didn't have already?

Do you feel guilty for being this wrong?

12,000 RPM

Quote from: GoCougs on January 29, 2016, 06:47:13 PM
Do you feel guilty for being this wrong?
Wrong about what? The pre-Alpha CTS outselling the ATS/CTS at higher ATPs and the Alpha Camaro selling at the same volume and price as the old one? Profit being more important than revenue? Your ATPs being wrong? What exactly?

2o6

You do realize that at some point GM would need to invest in a RWD platform soon, right? Alpha will likely go on for at least 10 years

Also, Alpha is actually design wise a very freshened version of Zeta. The new Omega platform, is s longer, wider version of Alpha.

Sigma got phased out - the original Sigma platform debut'ed on the 2002 CTS.

SVT666

The Alpha platform is so good I would be surprised if it doesn't last 15 years with an update in the middle somewhere. It's easily a generation ahead of the competition.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: SVT666 on February 08, 2016, 08:13:42 AM
The Alpha platform is so good I would be surprised if it doesn't last 15 years with an update in the middle somewhere. It's easily a generation ahead of the competition.
Then why is Cadillac's sedan segment in freefall?

giant_mtb

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on February 07, 2016, 08:00:40 PM
What the hell is an xt5?

Successor to the SRX, apparently.  Crossover Touring 5.  Cuz five doors!

"The XT5 will feature innovative technology such as a streaming video rear-view mirror, and the first application in a Cadillac of GM's Electronic Precision Shift, which replaces the standard hydraulic shifter with an electronic controller."

SVT666

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 08, 2016, 11:48:12 AM
Then why is Cadillac's sedan segment in freefall?
It's certainly not because the cars suck. The styling is too conservative, and CUE is a fucking disaster.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: SVT666 on February 08, 2016, 02:42:43 PM
It's certainly not because the cars suck. The styling is too conservative, and CUE is a fucking disaster.
Good chassis <> good car

And in these segments, brand + value matter. At MSRP, unfortunately an ATS/CTS has neither. Germans have them beat in everything that doesn't involve turning a corner, which is everything to most of the people in this market

CaminoRacer

So keep old platforms and have outdated cars along with no brand image? Yeah that'll work.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

SVT666

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 08, 2016, 02:52:55 PM
Good chassis <> good car

And in these segments, brand + value matter. At MSRP, unfortunately an ATS/CTS has neither. Germans have them beat in everything that doesn't involve turning a corner, which is everything to most of the people in this market
ATS/CTS are great cars.

Laconian

The cars are priced too high for the market to bear. GM has delusions about Cadillac's cachet.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Laconian on February 08, 2016, 04:39:17 PM
The cars are priced too high for the market to bear. GM has delusions about Cadillac's cachet.
:hesaid: Undercutr the Germans like the last Gen CTS did and they'll be ok.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

12,000 RPM

Quote from: SVT666 on February 08, 2016, 04:12:28 PM
ATS/CTS are great cars.
Great cars aren't always the right cars for the market, and ultimately that is what defines whether or not a car will survive. Lot of tweaks would have completely changed the ATS/CTS trajectory. If they were crossovers. If they were priced $10-15K cheaper. If they had come out 15-20 years ago (obviously at whatever level of tech and competitiveness was necessary for that time). GM just did not play this one smart, as excellent as the cars are (and I do think they are excellent)

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Laconian on February 08, 2016, 04:39:17 PM

I'm not sure if being the bargain brand is a good long term strategy, though.

giant_mtb

Quote from: CaminoRacer on February 08, 2016, 06:17:50 PM
I'm not sure if being the bargain brand is a good long term strategy, though.

You can't not be the bargain brand if you're offering a product nobody's willing to buy at more than a bargain brand price. Something has to change.

12,000 RPM

Luxury brand strength is not rational. Cadillac is basically fighting ghosts.

SVT666

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 08, 2016, 06:04:36 PM
Great cars aren't always the right cars for the market, and ultimately that is what defines whether or not a car will survive. Lot of tweaks would have completely changed the ATS/CTS trajectory. If they were crossovers. If they were priced $10-15K cheaper. If they had come out 15-20 years ago (obviously at whatever level of tech and competitiveness was necessary for that time). GM just did not play this one smart, as excellent as the cars are (and I do think they are excellent)
Regardless, a great car is a great car. If I was in the market, the CTS would be the first car I look at.

280Z Turbo

I think Cadillac should be unabashedly American. They can't play the German game as well as the Germans, so why bother?

SVT666

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on February 08, 2016, 09:18:29 PM
I think Cadillac should be unabashedly American. They can't play the German game as well as the Germans, so why bother?
Actually, Cadillac built better BMW's than BMW. The problem is Cadillac wants BMW money, the styling is a little boring compared to the previous generation, and that fucking CUE.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on February 08, 2016, 09:18:29 PM
Agreed, been saying this from day one. ATS has no V8 and both have boring modest styling and cramped rear seats compared to the competition. Those are like ground zero pillars for any successful American sedan.

CaminoRacer

3 series doesn't have a v8 either...

Although ATS-V should totally have an LT4 or something

SJ_GTI

Quote from: CaminoRacer on February 09, 2016, 08:41:51 AM

I will say it seems like Caddy missed an opportunity to differentiate by not putting the big V8 in the ATS-V. While it is arguably better to drive, having a big ole V8 instead of a standard turbo'd 6-banger would have been a decent selling point to lure in buyers (IMHO).

MX793

Quote from: CaminoRacer on February 09, 2016, 08:41:51 AM

BMW isn't known for V8 engines.  Prior to the early 90s, BMW had only ever built 1 V8 engine that was offered starting in the early 50s until the mid 60s.  Then nothing until '92.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5