Explorer Thread!

Started by BimmerM3, February 08, 2015, 11:36:17 AM

2o6

Looking into it, the VTM4 is really similar to the RT4WD. The limits are low (not much rear power) and it generally is FWD unless slip is detected. The Fake low range only works under like 8mph and it'll transition to the front wheels ASAP. And IIRC it'll only work under accel, like RT4WD on the CR-V.

I'm not seeing a real big benefit over an Element. It seems a little meh to look at that and shit on other cheaper car based SUV's.

Rupert

If it has the same system as the CRV et al., then it's not worth it. I think he's on the right track with the 4Runner and Explorer (and maybe still the Forester?).
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

MX793

Quote from: Laconian on February 21, 2015, 12:17:01 PM
Hummer H1 or go home.

All joking aside, the H3 is supposed to be pretty capable offroad.

Also, it not already mentioned:
FJ Cruiser
Nissan Xterra
Nissan Pathfinder (the old truck-based ones, not the newer crossover models).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

BimmerM3

Quote from: BimmerM3 on February 21, 2015, 09:07:18 AM
Tasks for today:

-Test drive Exploder
-Test drive 4Runner

Also starting to wonder if I should take a serious look at pick-ups. Tacomas are too expensive (even worse than 4Runners), but F-150s might be feasible.

Drove:

2006 Exploder V8 Eddie Bauer - Pleasantly surprised. Did not feel like a vehicle with 130,000+ miles on it. Plush, good acceleration, nice features. If I go for Exploder, I will probably specifically look for an Eddie Bauer. While it wouldn't be used a ton, I could definitely see the third row being used for day-hike type events, and they're easy to fold away when not being used. Not sure how the third row affects cargo room, but the car is big enough that I'm not worried about it. Heated seats definitely a plus for my Colorado future. Reliability is still probably not as good as a 4Runner, but build quality is no longer suspect, and the difference in price would probably make up for the cost of any additional repairs. That advantage is probably much smaller when future resale is factored in, but I tend to keep cars for a long time, which would help shrink the resale gap.

2006 Exploder V6 Eddie Bauer - Not sure if it was really the engine or if it was the transmission gearing/programming, but I felt like, with any sort of moderately aggressive throttle input, it was revving awfully high before upshifting. It felt okay at low RPMs though, so maybe alright for off roading and mountainy roads? I don't really know - could use some input here. Otherwise same as above. 

2007 4Runner V6 SR5 - Definitely felt truckier than the Exploders, though I don't consider that a bad thing. This particular car was pretty beat up. In general (after looking at a 2006 4Runner and a GX470 on the same lot), I got the impression that the dealership specializes in buying the auction cars that no one else wanted, attempting to spruce them up, and selling them at "good deal" prices so that people ignore their shortcomings. Based on the aftermarket head unit and what I'm 95% sure was an aftermarket exhaust, I'm guessing the previous driver was some rich kid who did stupid stuff with it. Still, I like how it handled and the V6, while not as good as the Ford V8, felt much better than the Ford V6. Steering was a bit vague, and when I thought back to the Exploder, I don't remember thinking about the steering at all, so it must have been better. I'm definitely going to find a better example of a 4Runner though and see how big of a difference it makes.

Rupert

Are you concerned with gas mileage at all? I think the V8 is pretty thirsty. As far as the transmission shifting, I'm not sure what it supposed to feel like, but for off highway driving (and for going up and down mountains in general), you'll want to limit the gear, anyway.

What off road goodies did they have? LSD, lockers, hill descent?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

MX793

Quote from: Rupert on February 21, 2015, 06:15:40 PM
Are you concerned with gas mileage at all? I think the V8 is pretty thirsty. As far as the transmission shifting, I'm not sure what it supposed to feel like, but for off highway driving (and for going up and down mountains in general), you'll want to limit the gear, anyway.

Fuel consumption for Ford's V6 isn't particularly good either.  When it was still being used in the Mustang, it only got 1-2 mpg better than the V8.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

FoMoJo

Apparently, the Explorer 4.6 V8 gets almost the same mileage as the Cologne 4.0 V6...which is a bit of a dated engine.  The advice from the Explorer forum is "go with the V8".  As for the 4Runner, really don't know...other than repairs will, likely, be more expensive.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

BimmerM3

Quote from: Rupert on February 21, 2015, 06:15:40 PM

Didn't really ask for specifics. I was more just trying to see how they felt to drive. To be honest, I'm not really sure what I should be looking for... lol

BimmerM3

Apparently the V8 also has a 6-speed transmission vs a 5-speed in the V6.

Rupert

Quote from: MX793 on February 21, 2015, 06:23:22 PM
Fuel consumption for Ford's V6 isn't particularly good either.  When it was still being used in the Mustang, it only got 1-2 mpg better than the V8.

It was even worse with the pushrod V6 (that I have). What a piece that engine is...

Looking at the mileage figures, they're apparently the same, so there you go.

Rupert

Quote from: BimmerM3 on February 21, 2015, 06:29:44 PM
Didn't really ask for specifics. I was more just trying to see how they felt to drive. To be honest, I'm not really sure what I should be looking for... lol

Rear locker would be good, but really not at all necessary. I was just curious. :lol:

Rupert

Quote from: FoMoJo on February 21, 2015, 06:24:35 PM
Apparently, the Explorer 4.6 V8 gets almost the same mileage as the Cologne 4.0 V6...which is a bit of a dated engine.  The advice from the Explorer forum is "go with the V8".  As for the 4Runner, really don't know...other than repairs will, likely, be more expensive.

FYI, unless it's massively improved, the Explorer forum is possibly the worst place to go on the internet for Explorer advice.

Eye of the Tiger

Check out the Buick Encore Luxury Subcompact Crossover Utility Vehicle!
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

SVT_Power

So we're talking about affordable used offroad capable SUV's and not a single mention of a wrangler?
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

BimmerM3

Quote from: SVT_Power on February 21, 2015, 07:18:45 PM
So we're talking about affordable used offroad capable SUV's and not a single mention of a wrangler?

Wranglers are hardly affordable. Those things hold their value like crazy.

Rupert

Quote from: SVT_Power on February 21, 2015, 07:18:45 PM

And thank god for that!

Rupert

FJ's are good, but they seems like they don't have the space inside that their exterior dimensions suggest. Also visibility is bad. Check one out, though! My boss drives one and likes it.

SVT_Power

Quote from: BimmerM3 on February 21, 2015, 07:35:57 PM
Wranglers are hardly affordable. Those things hold their value like crazy.

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/628355371/overview/

At the $13k cap but under 70k miles. The indestructible I6 + 5 speed  :huh:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

BimmerM3

Quote from: SVT_Power on February 21, 2015, 07:49:56 PM
http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/628355371/overview/

At the $13k cap but under 70k miles. The indestructible I6 + 5 speed  :huh:

Point taken. 

Maybe if I were staying in the south east and were just looking for a car to day trips to the mountains. But out in Colorado, it will be my primary car several months of the year.

SVT_Power

Quote from: BimmerM3 on February 21, 2015, 07:58:54 PM
Point taken. 

Maybe if I were staying in the south east and were just looking for a car to day trips to the mountains. But out in Colorado, it will be my primary car several months of the year.

Ah okay. I was gonna say if you were gonna DD this SUV, then maybe the wrangler wouldn't be a good idea. I thought this was just gonna be a weekend hiking trip kinda vehicle.

BimmerM3

Maybe in the future when I'm rich, I could own three cars, or if I end up coming back to the southeast. I've always loved Wranglers but I've never had a good reason to own one.

EDIT: Typos.

GoCougs

Quote from: Rupert on February 21, 2015, 06:45:07 PM
It was even worse with the pushrod V6 (that I have). What a piece that engine is...

Looking at the mileage figures, they're apparently the same, so there you go.

MPG is mostly a function ovehicle weight. When you get into trucks/SUVs the % weight difference between a V6 and V8 engine is so small relative to overall weight it really doesn't matter.

BimmerM3

Quote from: GoCougs on February 21, 2015, 09:05:10 PM
People sure love their FJs but IMO the 4Runner is a much better vehicle.

I'm gonna go test drive them both tomorrow.

I'll admit, both the manual and the cool factor of the FJ are a large part of the appeal. The fact that it's a grand cheaper doesn't hurt either, especially since they're both stretching the original budget. As an all around vehicle, the 4Runner is almost certainly better.

Rupert

Personally, I would buy the Explorer, hand down, but I have the odd requirement of >= 6'2" of flat room in the back for sleeping.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Rupert on February 21, 2015, 09:30:57 PM
Personally, I would buy the Explorer, hand down, but I have the odd requirement of >= 6'2" of flat room in the back for sleeping.

Roof rack.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

BimmerM3

I'm not gonna lie... the idea of doing an S2000 / FJ Cruiser photoshoot is pretty awesome.

I would have to get a couple grand off that 4Runner. I really can't spend more than $16k out the door. Not right now anyway. 

Rupert