Explorer Thread!

Started by BimmerM3, February 08, 2015, 11:36:17 AM

ifcar

Some older cars acquire a reputation for dependability that may not be entirely deserved. "My car is still on the road at 300,000 miles (though it needed lots of repairs to get there)" or "oh yeah, sure, well, THAT breaks, but what do you expect for something so old?"

GoCougs

Quote from: BimmerM3 on February 23, 2015, 12:52:34 PM
You know we're talking about the 2002-2009 vehicles, right? They're all the same platform.

Hmmm. I see. Well, what with different body panels, glass, etc., they're still not really close to the same vehicle, and it's a stretch to even say one is related to the other, when compared against GX vs. Prado (which are basically the same).

GoCougs

I'm gonna agree with Rupert and ifcar here. A newer Nissan or Ford will be far more reliable/dependable than than a 15+ year old Cherokee first sold in 1984.

Review you'll read about 15+ year-old vehicle will probably be from dedicated fanboys. In the past I've known many that have owned the Cherokee, and in committing the sin of anecdote, they are troublesome to own for people who just want a vehicle to drive. The engine and transmission (built by Toyota actually) are solid but pretty much everything else (esp. cooling and electrical) is trouble. Sure it was refined throughout its production run but it's still a vehicle designed in the late '70s/early '80s.

As to Nissan, they're cheaper because they are generally considered to not as "good" as a Honda or Toyota but they are still good - much better on average than a Cherokee.

BimmerM3

Quote from: GoCougs on February 24, 2015, 10:06:42 AM
As to Nissan, they're cheaper because they are generally considered to not as "good" as a Honda or Toyota but they are still good - much better on average than a Cherokee.

Unless I can find a way to guarantee that a particular example never encountered the coolant-in-transmission issue, I'm not going anywhere near them. It's a common and very expensive problem.

MX793

Based on the track record of friends and family who have owned Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep products over the past 15 years, "dependable" is not a word I'd attribute to them.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

GoCougs

Quote from: BimmerM3 on February 24, 2015, 10:23:10 AM
Unless I can find a way to guarantee that a particular example never encountered the coolant-in-transmission issue, I'm not going anywhere near them. It's a common and very expensive problem.

I checked my area on AutoTrader - lots of M/T Xterras out there with under 100,000 miles and under $20k.

BimmerM3

Quote from: GoCougs on February 24, 2015, 01:38:02 PM
I checked my area on AutoTrader - lots of M/T Xterras out there with under 100,000 miles and under $20k.

Haha - if my budget were 20k, this whole ordeal would be a lot easier!

Good point though - there's one MT in my area under the original $13k price point. Maybe I'll take a look this weekend if its still there.

BimmerM3

Actually, I didn't want to drive that way today because traffic normally sucks, but everyone stayed home today due to a light dusting of snow this morning :rolleyes:, so maybe I'll go by after work today.

BimmerM3

I have test driven Xterra! Well, two of them, actually.

The first one was a 2006 2WD manual for $7,999. I think it was a base model - lots of buttons that weren't actually buttons lol. Drove really well. Shifter was pretty good - didn't have to hunt for gears or anything. Good ride. Great engine - lots of pep... dare I say fun? Honestly, if this had been a 4x4, I'd probably be taking it by my mechanic tomorrow to get it checked out.

The second one was a 2008 4WD manual Offroad Edition (Bilstein shocks, fog lamps, first aid kit, offroad rims and tires). Lots of the same as above. The ride was definitely softer, I'm assuming because of the shocks, and it was just slightly slower but still more than adequate. The first one's suspension was better for on-road driving, but otherwise I really liked this car. One cool feature (honestly not sure if stock or left in by the PO) - it had a pop-up Garmin mount just above the radio. Only real problem with it was that it very much smelled like the PO was a smoker - not sure how hard that'd be to clean out. If someone can convince me that it's not that bad, I might have to go take it for a longer test drive.

But... even if I don't buy that second one, I think I've found the answer. They're cheapish, newish, comfortable, have personality, and seem to be pretty reliable with the manual transmission. I might just have to wait around to get a good deal on a manual one. I also asked on an Xterra forum if there's a way of guaranteeing that the ATs haven't had the coolant leak problem, but no response yet.

EDIT: Fixed link for "The second one."

SVT_Power

Didn't even know you could get the XTerra with 2wd. Figured they were all 4WD considering the model image  :huh:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

BimmerM3

Quote from: SVT_Power on February 24, 2015, 06:41:03 PM
Didn't even know you could get the XTerra with 2wd. Figured they were all 4WD considering the model image  :huh:

Yeah, it seems a bit odd, but I guess there were people who bought them for the image.

There are a handful of 2WD Wranglers floating around the world too, which seems even more silly.

GoCougs

Sweet. This thread has me thinking of going back to a dual vehicle household.

Getting smoke out will be a lot of work BTDT - new carpet, steam clean all cloth surfaces, and disassemble interior and scrub everywhere esp. interior panels.

Rupert

Nice. Too bad about the auto trans, but you wanted a stick, anyway... :lol:

No way on the smokey car, though. That's a 100% immediate fail for me. My Explorer still smells like Mexican perfume from the previous owner sometimes.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

SVT666

The worst part about buying a smoker's car is the HVAC.  The smell never comes out of the HVAC system.  You can cover it up for a bit by spraying Lysol into the air intake at the base of the windshield , but it always comes back. Trust me, my Explorer is one of those vehicles. I've had it 5 years now and it wasn't until recently that I can go more than 8 months without emptying a can of Lysol into it. When we first got it, the dealership had done a good job of covering up the smell with the smell of automotive shampoo.  It was 2 weeks later that the smell started to appear and the battle began.  The dealership dickheads lied to us about the smoking thing and I couldn't take the truck back since I bought it in the US.

BimmerM3

Have you guys ever tried an ozone generator? Reviews on them seem pretty good.

Rupert

Nope. Explorer is too cheap to care.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Laconian

Quote from: BimmerM3 on February 24, 2015, 09:08:37 PM
PLASMACLUSTER! Trep's favorite feature.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Submariner

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

BimmerM3

Quote from: Laconian on February 24, 2015, 09:39:55 PM

Oh man, whatever happened to that kid?

CALL_911

Quote from: Laconian on February 24, 2015, 09:39:55 PM

That's what Plasmacluster is?

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

BimmerM3

Quote from: CALL_911 on February 24, 2015, 10:11:51 PM
That's what Plasmacluster is?

No the Plasmacluster is an "ionizer" style air filter. Ozone generators put ozone into the air, which react with things that smell and turn them into things that don't smell. Ozone is not exactly healthy for you though, so you wouldn't want it running all the time.

CALL_911

No, I get what an ozone generator does, but I always thought Plasmacluster was a special display or something for the Camry's climate control.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Rupert

Quote from: BimmerM3 on February 24, 2015, 09:53:54 PM
Oh man, whatever happened to that kid?

I'm sure he's a multiple-Toureg owner now.

SVT666

Quote from: BimmerM3 on February 24, 2015, 09:08:37 PM
Yes.  Worked for about 9 months or so, then the smell came back.  Lysol is cheaper.

Laconian

Quote from: CALL_911 on February 24, 2015, 10:31:01 PM
No, I get what an ozone generator does, but I always thought Plasmacluster was a special display or something for the Camry's climate control.

Dumb brand name for an ionizer.

BimmerM3

Any reason I shouldn't consider a vehicle that was registered out of the country? The low miles on this Explorer are... intriguing. There's a free link to the CarFax if you want to see specifically what I mean by registered out of the country... looks like it was a vehicle owned by a military family.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=30363&endYear=2016&photosOnly=true&engineCode=8CLDR&maxPrice=13000&showcaseListingId=0&pricesOnly=true&mmt=%5BFORD%5BEXPLOR%5B%5D%5D%5B%5D%5D&lastExec=1425391253000&vehicleStyleCodes=AWD4WD&modelCode1=EXPLOR&photosOnlyActual=true&sortBy=mileageASC&showcaseOwnerId=50757774&startYear=2006&makeCode1=FORD&engineCodes=8CLDR&maxMileage=150000&searchRadius=200&listingId=393964679&Log=0

Rupert

Is that really a white interior?

BimmerM3

Quote from: Rupert on March 03, 2015, 02:16:00 PM
Is that really a white interior?

I think it's a light tan. Not the same car, but this is what I found searching for "Camel" as is listed there:

Laconian

Is that an autotragic shifter, or is the car just happy to see you?