Explorer Thread!

Started by BimmerM3, February 08, 2015, 11:36:17 AM

Rupert

Yeah, but the ladies love it.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

SVT666

Quote from: BimmerM3 on March 03, 2015, 03:43:09 PM
I think it's a light tan. Not the same car, but this is what I found searching for "Camel" as is listed there:

That's the colour of my Explorer's interior, though the seat colours are reversed in mine.  The bolsters are light and the seat is dark and my center stack is faux carbon fiber rather than the wood. Only problem with the colour is the steering wheel shows the wear really bad.  Other than that, the interior holds up really well.

Rupert

At least it's not true white. Lighter colors show dirt more (so what), but it will also be a cooler interior after sitting in the hot sun all day while you're hiking.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: BimmerM3 on March 03, 2015, 08:19:25 AM
Any reason I shouldn't consider a vehicle that was registered out of the country? The low miles on this Explorer are... intriguing. There's a free link to the CarFax if you want to see specifically what I mean by registered out of the country... looks like it was a vehicle owned by a military family.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=30363&endYear=2016&photosOnly=true&engineCode=8CLDR&maxPrice=13000&showcaseListingId=0&pricesOnly=true&mmt=%5BFORD%5BEXPLOR%5B%5D%5D%5B%5D%5D&lastExec=1425391253000&vehicleStyleCodes=AWD4WD&modelCode1=EXPLOR&photosOnlyActual=true&sortBy=mileageASC&showcaseOwnerId=50757774&startYear=2006&makeCode1=FORD&engineCodes=8CLDR&maxMileage=150000&searchRadius=200&listingId=393964679&Log=0

Definitely military family. Looks like they bought it while they were in Germany through one of the programs that ship US-spec cars to servicemembers. ((friend bought a us-spec BMW while in Germany, it was built in the US then shipped to Germany.   :nutty: )

BUT that history just looks wacky, they moved back and forth alot?!?   (usually overseas tours are 3years if you take your family)
Will

BimmerM3

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on March 04, 2015, 09:12:29 AM
Definitely military family. Looks like they bought it while they were in Germany through one of the programs that ship US-spec cars to servicemembers. ((friend bought a us-spec BMW while in Germany, it was built in the US then shipped to Germany.   :nutty: )

BUT that history just looks wacky, they moved back and forth alot?!?   (usually overseas tours are 3years if you take your family)

To summarize for people who don't want to go look up the CarFax, this is what I can tell:

2005 - Shipped from Maryland, US to Germany
2006 - "Vehicle Purchase Reported" at GA DMV (note that Georgia otherwise doesn't appear on the report until 2014)
[not reported] - Moved from Germany to UK somewhere between 2005 and 2010
2010 - Shipped from UK to South Carolina, US
2011 - Shipped from South Carolina, US back to Germany
[not reported] - Shipped back to US somewhere between 2011 and Dec 2014
2014 - Titled in Georgia
2015 - Listed for sale

So if the tours were like 2006 - 2009 and 2011 - 2014, it doesn't look all that strange. The only weird part is that it has a 2006 "Vehicle purchase reported" record from GA, but I'm wondering if they just needed to provide a date to the GA DMV to get the title last year since it looks like 2014 was the first time it was given a US title.

The problem is that this car is like an hour and a half away from me, so not only would it be a pain to go check out to begin with, but I can't get it looked at by my normal mechanic until after I took it home (and I'm guessing that the dealership wouldn't let me do a 200 mile round trip just for a pre-purchase inspection, and I wouldn't really want to in case they find issues - at that point it'll be a whole day wasted).

That said, I could probably get a Ford dealership in the area to do a pre-purchase inspection on it before committing. It's a good price (though listed right at KBB value - I thought the low miles would bump up the KBB value) and the low mileage is attractive. I guess it couldn't hurt to email the dealership to get more information.

BimmerM3

For those who have been playing along, I've saved three different AutoTrader searches:

Xterras with manual
Explorers
4Runners and FJ Cruisers

And on a side note, that FJ Cruiser I posted a few pages back is still for sale. I might go check it out this weekend (probably should have gone last Saturday to try and pressure them into an end-of-month sale, but oh well).

Rupert

Good list. I'll be curious to know what you think of the FJ's interior space and window size.

SVT666

Quote from: Rupert on March 04, 2015, 10:58:53 PM
Good list. I'll be curious to know what you think of the FJ's interior space and window size.
When I drove it, I absolutely fucking hated it.  The interior materials are absolute garbage and the windows are so small you can't see around the truck.  It looks cool on the outside and I really wanted to like it, but once I drove it, I hated it.

BimmerM3

Quote from: SVT666 on March 05, 2015, 10:05:33 AM
When I drove it, I absolutely fucking hated it.  The interior materials are absolute garbage and the windows are so small you can't see around the truck.  It looks cool on the outside and I really wanted to like it, but once I drove it, I hated it.

Yeah, I don't have my heart set on it or anything, but I figure I might as well check one out before I rule them out completely. The spartan interior I can deal with (a lot of people say the same thing about the Xterra and I didn't have any problem with it), but the size and visibility might be a problem.

GoCougs

Jesus, how can someone hate a car?

The FJ Cruiser is fine and good and was available with M/T. I don't care for the looks and would opt for 4Runner though.

MrH

My only hesitation on the FJ is the interior size and the price.  Otherwise, they're pretty awesome vehicles.  :rockon:

Element was literally like double the interior volume and cheaper, that's why I went with one.  Looking back, I probably would have been happier with an FJ though.  Unfortunately, that back seat space kind of kills the utility of it though.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

CALL_911

Quote from: MrH on March 05, 2015, 01:53:32 PM
Looking back, I probably would have been happier with an FJ though. 

I told you so

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Laconian

My only hesitation on the FJ is the interior size and the price.  Otherwise, they're pretty awesome vehicles.  :rockon:

Element was literally like double the interior volume and cheaper, that's why I went with one.  Looking back, I probably would have been happier with an FJ though.  Unfortunately, that back seat space kind of kills the utility of it though.

Why does it kill the utility? You're driving the car solo 98% of the time, right? :huh:
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

MrH

Quote from: Laconian on March 05, 2015, 02:46:53 PM
Why does it kill the utility? You're driving the car solo 98% of the time, right? :huh:

What's the point of having two cars if neither can be used for road trips or carrying things?
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Laconian

The FJ can't be that bad, can it? Are your friends all 90%ile height?

BimmerM3

Unfortunately, that back seat space kind of kills the utility of it though.

The way I see it - if I'm using my gas and putting wear and tear on my vehicle, my friends don't get to complain about legroom. :lol:

But yeah, they aren't huge if you have the front seats all the way back. Luckily, I'm only 5'10" and like to sit slightly closer to the wheel than most people do.

Laconian

MrH

Quote from: Laconian on March 05, 2015, 03:21:42 PM
The FJ can't be that bad, can it? Are your friends all 90%ile height?

Actually, they probably are.  I'm one of the shortest in my group of friends.  I'm 6'2".

2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

BimmerM3

Interesting. Apparently the manual FJ Cruisers have a full time 4WD system, where as the automatics are either 2WD or part-time 4WD that can be damaged by using it in full-grip situations.

The one I'm looking at has rear parking censors and a locking rear diff too. The only problem is that some of the 2007 and 2008 examples had an issue with part of the body cracking on the interior of the front fenders. I need to do some more research into that and take a real close look to make sure they're OK on this car.

Definitely going to try to go drive it tomorrow though.

2o6

I think you guys are exaggerating on calling the FJ small

It beats the brakes off a Wrangler, and is on par with a Cherokee.

AutobahnSHO

Most of the FJ haterade is that it looks much larger outside than it really is.

I really dig them but unless I was driving on dirt every week, I think they are a waste..
Will

hotrodalex

I saw a nice new Cherokee yesterday so I built one online. Trailhawk w/ V6, black exterior and brown interior, decent options = $39k. :mask:

Secret Chimp

Those BOF IRS Explorers are actually pretty nice. Decent steering, good ride, pretty quiet, nice seats. Economy is abysmal with either engine though.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

GoCougs

Jesus, are you guys giants or something? Rear of the FJ has plenty of space for normal people - it's the doors that are a bit of a PITA.

Rupert

Quote from: GoCougs on March 06, 2015, 04:15:19 PM
Jesus, are you guys giants or something? Rear of the FJ has plenty of space for normal people - it's the doors that are a bit of a PITA.

Not a giant, but you must be tiny...

thewizard16

Quote from: MrH on March 05, 2015, 06:11:22 PM
Actually, they probably are.  I'm one of the shortest in my group of friends.  I'm 6'2".
Solution: Stop hanging out with mutants/professional basketball players. Make new, shorter friends. Buy car designed for normal humans.  :ohyeah:
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

Speed_Racer

Rupert

In the FJ, it's called a C-wall.

MrH

Quote from: thewizard16 on March 06, 2015, 10:32:42 PM
Solution: Stop hanging out with mutants/professional basketball players. Make new, shorter friends. Buy car designed for normal humans.  :ohyeah:

Our club basketball team in college was pretty dominant though :lol:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Laconian