Explorer Thread!

Started by BimmerM3, February 08, 2015, 11:36:17 AM

hotrodalex

A healthy diet of milk and poptarts is the reason I'm the tallest in my family.

BimmerM3

I am 5'10", which I believe is the actual average height of American men. It's actually pretty nice to be the exact height that everything is designed around.

BimmerM3

Any reason I should consider a 2002 4Runner? I accidentally put the wrong year as my search limit and one popped up. Low miles and lighter than the 2003-2009, but a weaker engine (only 183hp/217lb-ft mated to a 4-speed) and still comes with the 4Runner mark-up. I'd be much better off with a newer Explorer, right?

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=30363&endYear=2016&photosOnly=true&maxPrice=15000&showcaseListingId=0&pricesOnly=true&mmt=%5BTOYOTA%5B4RUN%5B%5DFJCRUIS%5B%5D%5D%5B%5D%5D&lastExec=1425740570000&vehicleStyleCodes=AWD4WD&modelCode1=4RUN&photosOnlyActual=true&sortBy=mileageASC&showcaseOwnerId=94609&makeCode1=TOYOTA&startYear=2002&maxMileage=150000&searchRadius=200&listingId=394798776&Log=0

Also, I didn't get a chance to check out the FJ. That dealership seems to be completely disorganized. The first time I went by, I didn't call ahead or anything, and I spent twenty minutes waiting around so that they could tell me that another salesperson took the keys to church with him, even though the car was on the lot. :confused: So I talked to someone around 10:30 AM on Saturday to make sure they had the keys. They took my number and said they'd text me when they found the keys. Finally got a call (not a text as they said?) around 2:30 PM from a different woman who said she had "Great news!" and I should call her back (was driving - didn't answer), without leaving any details. Then I was hungover on Sunday from a wedding Saturday night so I didn't feel like driving up. Maybe if it's still around this weekend I'll try again.

Lebowski

3rd gen is the best looking 4runner IMO.

BimmerM3

Quote from: Lebowski on March 09, 2015, 08:48:47 AM
3rd gen is the best looking 4runner IMO.

I agree, but it seems like that's really the only reason to consider it.

Cookie Monster

Oh god. My 4Runner with the 5 speed is barely adequate. It would be a complete dog with the auto. I know that the 2002 has 33 more hp than mine, but with a 4 speed you're not going anywhere, especially since it weighs more.

Lebowski's right though, the 3rd gen facelifted 4Runner is the best looking of the bunch (although I'm still more partial to the pre facelift 2nd gen).
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

hotrodalex

I like the 4th gen styling more than 3rd gen.

GoCougs

3rd gen are sweet but painfully slow plus they need a timing belt so unless the dealer provides a receipt/guarantee that it was changed you're gonna want to get it changed ($1,000+). 4th gen are far better vehicles.

BimmerM3

Quote from: thecarnut on March 09, 2015, 09:59:12 AM
Oh god. My 4Runner with the 5 speed is barely adequate. It would be a complete dog with the auto. I know that the 2002 has 33 more hp than mine, but with a 4 speed you're not going anywhere, especially since it weighs more.

Lebowski's right though, the 3rd gen facelifted 4Runner is the best looking of the bunch (although I'm still more partial to the pre facelift 2nd gen).

Quote from: GoCougs on March 09, 2015, 10:29:49 AM
3rd gen are sweet but painfully slow plus they need a timing belt so unless the dealer provides a receipt/guarantee that it was changed you're gonna want to get it changed ($1,000+). 4th gen are far better vehicles.

Cool, that's all I needed to hear.

Laconian

I think you need a Bimmer M3.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

BimmerM3

Quote from: Laconian on March 10, 2015, 02:49:09 PM
I think you need a Bimmer M3.

lol - I think I first used this screen name when I was 15. My racecar driver/instructor uncle has one that I've always been fond of. I even drove it to my senior prom back in the day. If I hadn't fallen in love with convertibles, I'd probably have gotten an E46 M3 in lieu of the S2k. I even considered a Z4M roadster (same engine), but they were still a bit of our my price range at the time.

MX793

Why does there appear to be circles drawn around the passenger's corner of that Explorer?  Were they highlighting damage?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Rupert

Quote from: SVT666 on March 10, 2015, 06:01:18 PM
That's pricey for a 9 year old Explorer.

Thinking about it, mine was 10 years old when I got it, it had 45 kmiles more, and it was $3500. It needed a little bit, though, and this one is a much better vehicle by default.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

BimmerM3

Quote from: MX793 on March 10, 2015, 04:03:02 PM
Why does there appear to be circles drawn around the passenger's corner of that Explorer?  Were they highlighting damage?

That's my guess. I don't mind - gives me an idea of where to look if I go check out the car. :lol:

Quote from: SVT666 on March 10, 2015, 06:01:18 PM
That's pricey for a 9 year old Explorer.

It's pretty consistent with similar vehicles in the area, and not too much higher than the average of four different used car value sites. Plus it's a 1 owner vehicle that's always been serviced by a Ford dealership (according to the CarFax - free to view from the AutoTrader page).

KBB: 13,466 (11,906 - 15,025)
Edmunds: 9,506 (I've yet to find an 06 or newer Explorer V8 with under 100k miles in my area for less than 10k, so not sure what they're basing this on)
Cars.com "Black Book": 10,250
NADA: 11,750

Average: 11,243

SVT666

Quote from: BimmerM3 on March 11, 2015, 08:59:40 AM
That's my guess. I don't mind - gives me an idea of where to look if I go check out the car. :lol:

It's pretty consistent with similar vehicles in the area, and not too much higher than the average of four different used car value sites. Plus it's a 1 owner vehicle that's always been serviced by a Ford dealership (according to the CarFax - free to view from the AutoTrader page).

KBB: 13,466 (11,906 - 15,025)
Edmunds: 9,506 (I've yet to find an 06 or newer Explorer V8 with under 100k miles in my area for less than 10k, so not sure what they're basing this on)
Cars.com "Black Book": 10,250
NADA: 11,750

Average: 11,243
Interesting.  I bought my Explorer XLT when it was 3 years old with just 35,000 miles on it for $18K.  This just seems high to me.

BimmerM3

Quote from: SVT666 on March 11, 2015, 09:57:58 AM
Interesting.  I bought my Explorer XLT when it was 3 years old with just 35,000 miles on it for $18K.  This just seems high to me.

I think it's just that they're aren't many proper 4x4s that haven't had major reliability problems. This is still MUCH cheaper than comparable 4Runners are listed as, especially with a documented dealership service history, and is even less than the manual Xterra I drove a few weeks ago. There are auto Xterras out there with similar mileage going for less, but those fall into the "have had major reliability problems" category.

The V6s tend to be a grand or two cheaper, but I drove a V6 and either the engine was too weak or the transmission timing was horrible, and the gas mileage was only marginally better.

I also haven't been keeping an eye on the used market as a whole, but it's possible that the entire market has gone up.

BimmerM3

Finally got to test drive that Explorer. Drove well. Pretty clean interior (plus they hadn't finished detailing it yet). Heated leather seats, sunroof, built in navigation (which I could take or leave, but I like the big screen for the radio display), tow package, new tires. If it had the 3rd row, it'd be exactly the Explorer I want, but that's much more of a want than a need. It also has the cleanest CarFax report I've ever seen for a car that age - single owner, no incidents of any kind, and always maintained at a Ford dealership.

The best offer they gave me was just under $12,700 out the door. That makes the price before taxes and fees right around $11,200, which I think is pretty good based on other listings in the area. I'm gonna sleep on it before making a final decision, but I think I'm gonna get it checked out by my mechanic tomorrow and as long as there aren't any major issues, go ahead and pull the trigger.

SVT666

hotrodalex

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

BimmerM3

NEW TIRE TIME.

I'm thinking I will BLIZZAKS on the current wheels for winter. Then come spring time, get a set of A/Ts on new wheels.

I was kind of hoping to keep the current tires for road trips just because they're basically brand new, but to make that even a little practical, I'd have to either swap them out with the BLIZZAKS every season or get a third set of wheels, which just seems silly.

Eye of the Tiger

What increases the expense is adding TPMS sensors to every set of wheels

For winter wheels, it can be a good idea to get a more narrow wheel and tire set, especially if you currently have relatively wide/sporty size on a lightweight vehicle.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

BimmerM3

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 05, 2015, 03:19:57 PM
What increases the expense is adding TPMS sensors to every set of wheels

For winter wheels, it can be a good idea to get a more narrow wheel and tire set, especially if you currently have relatively wide/sporty size on a lightweight vehicle.

The stock size is 235/65R18, and Explorer isn't exactly lightweight. Should I go narrower?

And yeah, TPMS is part of the reason I don't want to get new wheels yet. I don't quite have that much $$$ in my car stuff fund. But by spring I should be able to save plenty for tires + wheels including TPMS.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: BimmerM3 on October 05, 2015, 03:28:34 PM
The stock size is 235/65R18, and Explorer isn't exactly lightweight. Should I go narrower?

And yeah, TPMS is part of the reason I don't want to get new wheels yet. I don't quite have that much $$$ in my car stuff fund. But by spring I should be able to save plenty for tires + wheels including TPMS.

That size is probably fine, but you could see what other sploder guys do on their forum
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

BimmerM3

Explorer's rear seats don't quite fold flat, so I'm going to build a platform so that I can sleep in the back of the Explorer for camping and road tripping.

The idea is to build it in two separate pieces - one for the entire width of the trunk area that I'll be able to leave in the car and still be able to use the full back seat. The second piece will go over the middle and passenger-side rear seats when they're folded to complete the sleeping platform, with a little bit of storage underneath too. The driver-side rear seat will still be unobstructed so that I can choose to use it as extra storage or just as a place to sit - it's quite roomy with the front seat all the way up, which I've conveniently set as the 2nd saved seat position.

The platform will be ~6" high in the trunk area to give a little room for storage underneath. I'm just going to use a plastic bin or two for storage, so no fancy built in drawers or anything. The other piece will be a little trickier since I'll probably need to build the front end to be supported by the rear floor instead of the back of the seat, but I'm not actually worried about that.

Anyway, I want to cover the platforms in some sort of fabric that's relatively close to the stock tan trunk carpet, to give it a cleaner look and to help cut down on rubbing and vibration against the interior. Any idea on where I could find that type of fabric?

giant_mtb

Search "trunk fabric" in Google or on Amazon.  Plenty of options, but didn't see a tan option in a brief search, just blacks and grays.

CaminoRacer

Either Jo Ann Fabric, ebay, or google tan automotive carpet. Speaker cabinet carpet may work too. I've ordered some from Parts Express, but I think they only have black/gray.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

BimmerM3

I'll use gray if I have to but it'd be nice if it were relatively stock looking.

Should I build the frame out of 2x4s or just pieces of plywood? 2x4s would leave bigger gaps front to back, but would be wider left to right.