Parking lot laws

Started by crv16, December 09, 2005, 08:50:56 AM

crv16

The parking lot at my office is large and empty when I arrive each morning.  There are several stop signs at various points - which I usually ignore.

Are traffic laws enforced on private property?  Just curious, because the other day a town cruiser was sitting near the entrance to the building as I blew thru a stop sign.
09 Honda Accord EX-L V6
09 Subaru Forester X Premium 5 speed

TBR

93JC

Parking lots, private property or not, still fall under "roads", and are subject to enforcement here.

I still remember a news story about a year ago where one car in a parking lot got creamed as it was pulling out of a row and into a traffic lane (within the parking lot). Common sense says the guy (going faster) in the lane has the right of way, but he didn't: guy coming out of the row was to his right. Guy in the lane got nailed with a hefty fine for failing to yield the right of way.

It's really no different than any other crime. You couldn't kick the shit out of someone and weasel out of an assault charge because it was on private property, could you?

'Bout the only thing they can't hit you with is a speeding ticket. No speed limits of course. But they do have the discretion to give you a ticket for driving too fast for the conditions, which is in the neighbourhood of 35-40 mph even in the best of weather conditions and emptiest of lots.

It's all up to the officer. Chances are that in a wide open, empty lot, early in the morning, he's not going to give a shit whether you rolled through a stop sign.

Just remember that sign is there for your benefit. You'll be glad it's there should you ever have heavy traffic in the lot.

Raza

What about donuts in snowy, deserted parking lots?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Colonel Cadillac

Then usually people aren't there to catch you!

Speed_Racer

QuoteWhat about donuts in snowy, deserted parking lots?
I've seen people hassled by cops for doing that. I had stopped just as the cops pulled in. I looked so "innocent." ;) Another kid wasnt so lucky. He was doing donuts so fast that he didn't even see the cop coming.  

MX793

QuoteWhat about donuts in snowy, deserted parking lots?
A guy on another board I visit was ticketed for doing donuts in a parking lot.  But he was at college and the ticket was issued by campus police.

I was doing donuts at a mall a couple of years ago when I saw the mall security truck headed my way.  There was no way I could get out of there (truck with snow tires vs RWD car with all seasons and the lot was surrounded by tall curb with limited access) so I just waited for him to show up and tell me to leave.  The window rolls down on the truck and the security guard turns out to be a friend of mine.  He's like "hey, I thought that looked like your car".  Then he started doing donuts.  So that was pretty cool.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Raza

I was doing them once in the E320 with my friend Zach, and then we saw a cop, and I let off the gas and halted.  I was facing the coppers--they slowed down, and then went off.  
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Catman

There are some laws that are enforcable such as operating to endanger, reckless operation and OUI.  However, civil infractions such as stop signs are not since a parking lot is not a public way.  Of course the stop sign at the intersection with the public way is enforcable.  How insurance companies interpret these thing is up to them, but I'd think if you ran the stop sign in the lot and got into a collision, you'll be held responsible.

dazzleman

A guy I know was once given a reckless driving ticket for doing donuts in a parking lot.  The lot may have been a school lot, and therefore considered public rather than private property.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Catman

QuoteA guy I know was once given a reckless driving ticket for doing donuts in a parking lot.  The lot may have been a school lot, and therefore considered public rather than private property.
As I said, reckless operation is a criminal charge and different from a civil infraction.

dazzleman

QuoteA guy I know was once given a reckless driving ticket for doing donuts in a parking lot.  The lot may have been a school lot, and therefore considered public rather than private property.
As I said, reckless operation is a criminal charge and different from a civil infraction.
Yes, I know you're right.  To be honest, I'm not sure of the details of the case I mentioned.  I heard the story a long time ago, but the guy said his license was revoked for 6 months because of it.  He had an abysmal driving record as a recall, and a habit of "forgetting" to respond to the many tickets he got, so he probably wasn't a candidate for leniency in any case.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Catman

QuoteA guy I know was once given a reckless driving ticket for doing donuts in a parking lot.? The lot may have been a school lot, and therefore considered public rather than private property.
Yes, I know you're right.  To be honest, I'm not sure of the details of the case I mentioned.  I heard the story a long time ago, but the guy said his license was revoked for 6 months because of it.  He had an abysmal driving record as a recall, and a habit of "forgetting" to respond to the many tickets he got, so he probably wasn't a candidate for leniency in any case.
Without looking at the books there is a distinction between a public way and a way that allows public access.  It gets confusing that's why we carry books in the car with us.  ;)  

dazzleman

QuoteA guy I know was once given a reckless driving ticket for doing donuts in a parking lot.? The lot may have been a school lot, and therefore considered public rather than private property.
Without looking at the books there is a distinction between a public way and a way that allows public access.  It gets confusing that's why we carry books in the car with us.  ;)
Well man, it's been a while since I've done donuts, so I'm not too worried about the distinction.  :lol:

The last time I did donuts was about 5 years ago.  There had been a slush storm over a holiday weekend followed by a deep freeze.  Since the lot where I then parked my car hadn't been used over the weekend before the freeze, it was a sheet of perfectly smooth ice.  I arrived home late, after the other cars were gone, so there was nothing I could hit.  Under the perfect combination of circumstances, I just couldn't resist the urge to do some donuts, and it was great fun.  I don't envision doing it again any time soon though; it's not often that the right circumstances come along, and I'm not about to go looking for them.

Catman, I haven't forgotten our plans to get together when my schedule (and yours) lightens a bit.  Things are tough for me at work until the end of January, but maybe after that I could swing up and say hello.

Catman

Well man, it's been a while since I've done donuts, so I'm not too worried about the distinction.  :lol:

The last time I did donuts was about 5 years ago.  There had been a slush storm over a holiday weekend followed by a deep freeze.  Since the lot where I then parked my car hadn't been used over the weekend before the freeze, it was a sheet of perfectly smooth ice.  I arrived home late, after the other cars were gone, so there was nothing I could hit.  Under the perfect combination of circumstances, I just couldn't resist the urge to do some donuts, and it was great fun.  I don't envision doing it again any time soon though; it's not often that the right circumstances come along, and I'm not about to go looking for them.

Catman, I haven't forgotten our plans to get together when my schedule (and yours) lightens a bit.  Things are tough for me at work until the end of January, but maybe after that I could swing up and say hello.
NP, let me know when you get the time. ;)  

dazzleman

Quote from: dazzleman,Dec 9 2005, 09:11 PM
Will do, buddy.  And in the meantime, have a great holiday, man.

Catman

Quote from: Catman,Dec 9 2005, 10:27 PM
Quote from: dazzleman,Dec 9 2005, 09:11 PM
Will do, buddy.  And in the meantime, have a great holiday, man.
Same to you Dazzle. :rockon:  

City Pig

QuoteIt's really no different than any other crime. You couldn't kick the shit out of someone and weasel out of an assault charge because it was on private property, could you?
Actually you're comparing a Criminal Code offence to a provincial or municipal law. The Criminal Code (assault) applies pretty much everywhere except for a few certain offences. Provincial and municipal laws generally do not apply to private property however having said that, they do vary from Province to Province so there's a good chance that Alberta's is different than Ontario's. In Ontario stop signs and such are not enforceable on private property unless the person is driving in such an unsafe manner that you could charge them with Dangerous Driving, which is a criminal offence and applicable anywhere.

Catman

QuoteIt's really no different than any other crime. You couldn't kick the shit out of someone and weasel out of an assault charge because it was on private property, could you?
Actually you're comparing a Criminal Code offence to a provincial or municipal law. The Criminal Code (assault) applies pretty much everywhere except for a few certain offences. Provincial and municipal laws generally do not apply to private property however having said that, they do vary from Province to Province so there's a good chance that Alberta's is different than Ontario's. In Ontario stop signs and such are not enforceable on private property unless the person is driving in such an unsafe manner that you could charge them with Dangerous Driving, which is a criminal offence and applicable anywhere.
Fnny how similiar laws are between US and Canada.

the nameless one

QuoteThere are some laws that are enforcable such as operating to endanger, reckless operation and OUI.  However, civil infractions such as stop signs are not since a parking lot is not a public way.  Of course the stop sign at the intersection with the public way is enforcable.  How insurance companies interpret these thing is up to them, but I'd think if you ran the stop sign in the lot and got into a collision, you'll be held responsible.
It should be noted that state vehicle and traffic law can be extended to private property through passage of a local law, at least in my state.
*Post consists of personal opinion only and does not constitute information released in an official capacity*

*   Heeyyyyyyyyyy did YOU know that you have NO First Amendment right to discuss ANYTHING even remotely related to your workplace? I didn't! I do now! Aint freedom grand? What is the point of a work-related internet forum if you can't legally DISCUSS anything work related? Maybe we can exchange baking recipes. What fun! *

* Don't look behind the curtain; don't dig too deep or ask too many questions; don't seek to expand your knowledge of how things REALLY work; "they" only want you to hear "their" official version of reality*

*"They " can be anyone. Take your pick. I know who MY "they" is. Who is yours?*

850CSi

Catman... While we're on the topic.

What do you think a normal cop would do if he caught you doing donuts in an empty snowy parking lot?

Rupert

I'd think a normal cop would lecture you, get yer info, and let you off. Unless you had a less than good driving record, *cough*Faris*cough*.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

hounddog

QuoteCatman... While we're on the topic.

What do you think a normal cop would do if he caught you doing donuts in an empty snowy parking lot?
It depends what the empty parking lot belongs to.  I'm at work right now.  My patrol is parked in the front, by partner is on the road.  Both of our POV cars are in the garage.  If you were to do doughnuts in our parking lot- you'ld get shot at!!!! :lol:   J/K but you would def. get reckless and jailed and towed.  If you were to do it anywhere that is a public lot, i.e. school, court, jail, city building etc. you would likely get the whole sha-bang.  In a privately owned lot, where it is likely safe, lecture and be on your way.  

In Michigan all traffic laws are enforceable where the parking lot is "open to the public".  Meaning, if it a Walmart lot you can be ticketed for anything BUT running a stop sign.  THe only way we can write you for that is if the stop sign is registered with the county road commission.  Everything else is fair game. :pullover:  :pullover:

Now, if you were EATING doughnuts- well that's a different story altogether!
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

850CSi

QuoteI'd think a normal cop would lecture you, get yer info, and let you off. Unless you had a less than good driving record, *cough*Faris*cough*.
Somehow I doubt a cop will care too much about a conviction for failing to signal. :lol:  

J86

I have been lectured for doing donoughts in our town beach's parking lot.  I have also not been approached.  Once the cop just drove in and sat there while I meekly drove away...  However, now I have heard of people getting more stern punishments.  A guy I went to school with rolled his Camaro last year and killed himself doing those, so the town has stepped up enforcement on that as a result.  I think it varies town to town.  Check and see if anything might have happened that would encourage harsher penalties.

JYODER240

Speaking of parking lots, on Saturday night i'm in my car with my friend Niki and my friend is in his Daewoo with our friend Joy. We are just leaving Chili's restaraunt which is at the mall. He rolls down his window and says, 'I'll race you." He takes off and with two girls watching there is no way I'm going to get embarrassed by a Daewoo that has the power of a lawn mower. He has a head start and is going around the outside of the parking lot where cars are supposed to go. The mall had been closed for almost 3 hours so there was no cars and I decided to cut through the middle. I had to keep turning to the left and had plenty of understeer and my tires where begging for mercy. I cut out between two cement islands onto the outside just ahead of my friend and just in time to nearly push into my ABS in time for a stop sign. Just as i'm almost to a stop i hear Niki say, "Oh, no!" I looked up and no more than 50yards ahead of me is a cruiser sitting in the parking lot. I came to a complete stop and slowly turned right. As I came to a rest at the red light just before the public road I see the officer begin to move. I thought I was dead for sure but when the light turned green I turned right and the officer turned left. It was a close one and I seriously have no idea why I wasnt pulled over.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

hounddog

QuoteSpeaking of parking lots, on Saturday night i'm in my car with my friend Niki and my friend is in his Daewoo with our friend Joy. We are just leaving Chili's restaraunt which is at the mall. He rolls down his window and says, 'I'll race you." He takes off and with two girls watching there is no way I'm going to get embarrassed by a Daewoo that has the power of a lawn mower. He has a head start and is going around the outside of the parking lot where cars are supposed to go. The mall had been closed for almost 3 hours so there was no cars and I decided to cut through the middle. I had to keep turning to the left and had plenty of understeer and my tires where begging for mercy. I cut out between two cement islands onto the outside just ahead of my friend and just in time to nearly push into my ABS in time for a stop sign. Just as i'm almost to a stop i hear Niki say, "Oh, no!" I looked up and no more than 50yards ahead of me is a cruiser sitting in the parking lot. I came to a complete stop and slowly turned right. As I came to a rest at the red light just before the public road I see the officer begin to move. I thought I was dead for sure but when the light turned green I turned right and the officer turned left. It was a close one and I seriously have no idea why I wasnt pulled over.
Been there, done that.  When I was a kid just out of High School I had a Mustang SVO.  I was in the parking lot of the mall when my friends goaded me into doing some D-nuts.  As I went from 1st to 2nd and then to 3rd I decided that 14 or 20 times around was enough! I had even done a few figure-8's.  The parking lot was FILLED with smoke.  Just as I brought 'er to a stop a patrol car pulled in, gave me the worst evil eye; stpped and I assume ran my plate and me, sat there a moment giving me the evil eye.  I wasn't going to take that shit  from him.  So -- I left very slowly.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

850CSi

Wow... I would have thought that would get someone into deep shit.

Guess I was wrong.

City Pig

Doing donuts in an EMPTY parking lot will get you stopped and checked to see if you've been drinking. I'd run your plates and your licence to see if you're a bad boy. If all checks out, a quick lecture later and you'll be on your way.

Doing donuts in a BUSY parking lot is another story.  

Rupert

All the girls and most of the guys I know would be a lot more impressed if I just let the other guy be an idiot.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA