The ups and downs of Harley Davidson ownership.

Started by shp4man, March 02, 2015, 09:45:53 AM

shp4man

The old Sportster's clutch was getting to where it wasn't fully disengaging, making it damnhard to find neutral at stoplights. So tried adjusting it. It was OK for about 20 miles, then it was right back to the same shit. So I go online and learn from the XLforum guys that the release bearing is prone to failure if the bike is ridden in city traffic a lot. Mine is.
So, back off comes the derby cover (clutch cover to you non-HD types), and sure as hell, it's a!most disintegrated. So down to the local HD dealership to get a bearing and a seal, then to tool place to get a pair of micro size snap ring pliers.
I got it replaced and it was better, but not fixed completely. So back apart again and back down to HD for a ba!l and ramp assembly. Which fixed the issue.
Total investment in parts, $47. It's funny, the parts I took out were Japanese, the parts I put in were US made.

MexicoCityM3

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

12,000 RPM

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

FlatBlackCaddy

The up side:

When you go to the bar you get to park your harley out front so every sees you have a harley.

The down side:

You have to ride the bike to get it to the bar.

shp4man

Ha. I love it when you guys make fun of Harleys. The upside is cheap and available parts and riding a machine with character. It's like the bike is alive, not just another machine.

12,000 RPM

Im just ribbing you.. its my duty as a metric devotee
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

FlatBlackCaddy

shp4man

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on March 02, 2015, 01:27:58 PM
I'm not, harley's are junk.

I'll refrain from calling your Miata junk- even though it's basically a Japanese version of an old MGB.  :lol:

MX793

Quote from: shp4man on March 02, 2015, 01:52:15 PM
I'll refrain from calling your Miata junk- even though it's basically a Japanese version of an old MGB.  :lol:

Yeah, except faster, better handling, better put-together, and more reliable.

Wait a minute...
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

shp4man

Quote from: MX793 on March 02, 2015, 04:13:39 PM
Yeah, except faster, better handling, better put-together, and more reliable.

Wait a minute...

Just like old vs. new Harleys!  :ohyeah:

shp4man

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on March 02, 2015, 01:27:58 PM
I'm not, harley's are junk.

I'm curious why you're so hung up on Harley Davidsons. Did you fall off daddy's bike when you were a kid? Did a big, mean, tattooed biker scare you?  Does the dentist that lives up the street wake you up with the vroom noise from his Dyna? Did you slip and fall in some leaked 20-50 oil?  :lol:

WTF, dude?