Do you use PPE when working in the garage?

Started by 280Z Turbo, March 14, 2015, 06:03:27 PM

280Z Turbo

Do you wear proper protective equipment when working on your cars? Gloves, earplugs, safety glasses, masks, etc?

I usually wear gloves when dealing with chemicals like grease, oil, and especially solvents like brake cleaner. I wear ear muffs when I'm doing something loud with power tools. I already fucked up my ears a bit last year, so I try to be extra careful now. If I'm doing something really dusty I try to wear a mask to keep rust and shit out of my lungs.

I don't wear proper gear 100% of the time, but I at least make an effort. I know people who think that spraying brake cleaner on your bare hands makes you a man.

I started wearing gloves for practical reasons (cleanup is easier) but I think that it can help protect you from health problems later on in life.

My uncle who owns an auto parts store was recently diagnosed with blood cancer. I have to wonder if exposing his bare skin to gasoline, grease, oil and solvents for all those years caused it.

Eye of the Tiger

Bitch, Im almost done with my OSHA 30-hour certification.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

shp4man

Not as much as I should. Some automotive chemicals make me put on the gloves. Battery acid, used oil.

SVT_Power

Had a very very close call a while ago. Was under the 'tour, and I don't remember what I was doing exactly but I was dealing with brake fluid and I got a drop within an inch of my eye. Learned my lesson about safety glasses that day
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

MrH

I usually wear latex gloves when working in the proto lab at work anymore. The solvents and oils destroy my skin so bad. Clean up in easier too, and you don't have the nail grim of a homeless man either.

In my garage, usually just mechanic gloves for grip and warmth more than anything. I'm not doing much besides oil changes and assembly/disassembly of things in my garage anyways.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Cookie Monster

I usually don't wear gloves unless I need the grip or I'm about to bust open knuckles.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

FlatBlackCaddy

I wear gloves a lot, especially with the paint chemicals.  I use safety equipment much more these days compared to when I was younger.

hotrodalex

I don't usually wear gloves. Not a big fan of mechanics gloves because they dull my sense of touch more than I like. Nitrile gloves are nice, but my hands get sweaty, they tear kinda easily, and you can only take them on and off once or twice before they are worthless.

I always wear safety glasses if I'm under the car or doing anything with a grinder, etc. Will put ear protection on for extended power tool use.

I never wear my orange safety vest, however.

280Z Turbo

Rupert

Hell yes I do. It's no fun getting stuff in your eye, or listening to loud power tools, or scrubbing you hands three times with lava soap to get the grease from ten minutes of work off your hands, not to mention all the possible long-term affects.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Byteme

Sometimes I don't even bother with shoes, but my garage floor is cleaner than most people's kitchen floors.  I'll go barefoot when cleaning cars, polishing, vacuuming, light chores like changing plugs, filters, etc.  Safety glasses, gloves, hearing protection, hard shoes  when appropriate

Soup DeVille

Do pants count?

Cant stand wearing gloves for most things; they don't help grip any and offer very little protection anyways.

Glasses? Yes. Earplugs if using something loud for more than a few minutes.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Speed_Racer

I use Mechanix gloves when working around hot parts or wrenching tough bolts, I'm tired of busting knuckles when they suddenly let go. And definitely safety glasses when crawled underneath, I got tired of getting grit in my eyes.

I don't have any loud tools, but I have ear plugs on hand because of the motorcycle if I were to ever have a grinder or whatever.