Which side, eh?

Started by Rupert, December 10, 2005, 03:48:46 PM

Rupert

If I'm on a multi-lane divided highway, and I'm traveling in the left lane or lanes, and an LEO decides I'm going too fast, and there is room to pull over on either side of the road, which side should I go to? What if there's a lot of traffic? Thanks!
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

TBR

Whatever is safest I guess.  

Tom

You don't.  You put the pedal to the floor and run like hell :praise:    

TBR

In a Trooper? You would have to have balls of steel to attempt a high speed run in such a vehicle ;) :lol:

Rupert

Hehe, yeah, but all I have to do is not pull over until I can find a road that requires 4WD. ;)

And what side is safest? :rolleyes:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Catman

Most laws require pulling to the right unless it's a serious problem to do so.

dazzleman

I've always heard that police officers much prefer that you pull over to the right rather than the left, because if you pull over to the left, it exposes them to the highway's fast lane.  It makes sense to me, and I would only pull over to the right.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Rupert

That's what I've always figured, but it occured to me that, if you pull over to the left, when they are talking to the driver, they'll be on the non-traffic side of the car.

dazzleman

QuoteThat's what I've always figured, but it occured to me that, if you pull over to the left, when they are talking to the driver, they'll be on the non-traffic side of the car.
When I got pulled over on a highway in Connecticut, the trooper came to the passenger's side to speak to me.  He also handed me my ticket through the passenger door window.  :D

In any case, I think the ability to use the passenger side negates any advantage from pulling over to the left and the officer having to expose himself to fast-lane traffic.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

L. ed foote

I usually pull over to the right, but I've seen people pulled over to the left
Member, Self Preservation Society

dazzleman

QuoteI usually pull over to the right, but I've seen people pulled over to the left
I've actually heard that a person's chances of getting off with a warning, rather than a ticket, are increased if he pulls over to the right.  Cops supposedly consider those who pull over to the right, rather than the left, more competent and considerate, and therefore more deserving of extra consideration.

I wonder if any of the LEOs on here could confirm or deny that.  It applies of course primarily to highways.

BTW Foote, when were you last pulled over?  It seems like a long time since I heard you mention getting nailed.  For a time, it seemed like you were getting nailed or in court on a pretty regular basis.  :P  

L. ed foote

QuoteBTW Foote, when were you last pulled over?  It seems like a long time since I heard you mention getting nailed.  For a time, it seemed like you were getting nailed or in court on a pretty regular basis.  :P
Burnt headlight (Bx) a couple of months ago

Haven't been pulled for speeding in about a year, I think...  :praise:  

dazzleman

QuoteBTW Foote, when were you last pulled over?  It seems like a long time since I heard you mention getting nailed.  For a time, it seemed like you were getting nailed or in court on a pretty regular basis.  :P

Did you get a ticket for the headlight, or the last time you got pulled over for speeding?

L. ed foote

QuoteBTW Foote, when were you last pulled over?  It seems like a long time since I heard you mention getting nailed.  For a time, it seemed like you were getting nailed or in court on a pretty regular basis.  :P

Did you get a ticket for the headlight, or the last time you got pulled over for speeding?
Yes.  I can't remember the last time I was pulled over and not cited.

In NYC it's pretty much a given that once the officer pulls you over, you're getting a ticket.  It was an equipment violation, no big deal.  I fixed the light and swung by the pct on the way home.  Presumably, the ticket was thrown out, but in case it wasn't I still have all the paperwork.

dazzleman

QuoteBTW Foote, when were you last pulled over?? It seems like a long time since I heard you mention getting nailed.? For a time, it seemed like you were getting nailed or in court on a pretty regular basis.? :P

Yes.  I can't remember the last time I was pulled over and not cited.

In NYC it's pretty much a given that once the officer pulls you over, you're getting a ticket.  It was an equipment violation, no big deal.  I fixed the light and swung by the pct on the way home.  Presumably, the ticket was thrown out, but in case it wasn't I still have all the paperwork.
I've always gotten a ticket when I've been pulled over, so I know what you mean, man.  And you're right -- an equipment violation doesn't count.  Just get it fixed in the timeframe they require, and it gets thrown out.

You seem to be on a pretty good run without any real tickets for a while.  Me too.  Let's hope it continues.

Rupert

Still ticket free here. Gotta love the bored country cops... :lol:

dazzleman

QuoteStill ticket free here. Gotta love the bored country cops... :lol:
As long as you keep slipping through their net, you're doing OK man... :lol:  I've gone a pretty long time without a ticket, but who knows what tomorrow brings... :rockon:  

Rupert

I think I just have really good luck. (Knock on wood).

ocmdog

I didn't know you could get pulled over to the left. Seems pretty dangerous to me. Since driving off would require you to floor it to about 70-80mph and then somehow merge with the traffic, right? Besides, in my state there's barely enough room to fit the width of a whole car.

dazzleman

QuoteI didn't know you could get pulled over to the left. Seems pretty dangerous to me. Since driving off would require you to floor it to about 70-80mph and then somehow merge with the traffic, right? Besides, in my state there's barely enough room to fit the width of a whole car.
When you see those flashing lights in the mirror, it's your job to decide how to pull over.  Most cops vastly prefer that you pull over to the right, even if you're in the left lane when they tag you.

Raza

Wait, so you are obligated to pull over?  What about the "Sorry officer, I didn't notice you until I was out of your jurisdiction.  Um, the accelerator pedal was stuck."
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Fire It Up

QuoteWait, so you are obligated to pull over?  What about the "Sorry officer, I didn't notice you until I was out of your jurisdiction.  Um, the accelerator pedal was stuck."
:lol:  

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club