Farewell to my Enclave

Started by veeman, March 23, 2015, 09:02:47 AM

veeman

My Enclave is depressingly going to go.  2009 model with 115,000 miles on it.  Lately a few things have been getting annoying with it (a few coils went bad, catalytic converter went bad, a few other things - nothing major) but I don't feel very secure with it driving long interstate distances with the family.  I've been shopping it around to various dealers and I'll get $10,000 for it.  I feel good about that. 

My wife wants a 3 row SUV and she wants the luxury stuff.  She test drove the Infiniti QX60 and liked it but not enamored by it.  She test drove the QX80 and loved it but I don't want to spend that much and at that price point there's better stuff out there in my opinion.  Plus it's probably too big to fit in our garage.  The "wasteful" aspect of daily driving such a big car I honestly don't care so much about.  Having a big ass house is wasteful yet people don't frown upon liberals with big ass houses so... whatever.  Don't want to make this a political discussion anyways.  She test drove the Lincoln MKT, which I think looks pretty good, and she really liked the drive and isolation but felt it was a station wagon and not an SUV. 

I'm trying to sway her away from the Audi Q7 and MB GL because of ridiculously high costs associated with owning German luxury cars.  Plus they're too expensive and I'd have to go certified which is something I'd rather not do.  Same with the Land Rover LR4 which has atrocious reliability on top of all that.

Regarding the Acura MDX, I know it wins all the comparisons in car mags but sportiness/handling isn't a big factor me.  Space, luxury feel, and isolation is what I'm looking for in this car.  The Enclave was awesome for what I was looking for.

We were looking online at the Dodge Durango.  The car looks pretty sweet, both interior and exterior, at least online.  Very macho but not over the top butch.  Any thoughts on this car?  The "Dodge" nameplate for her is a minus but if she likes the drive, I think she'll go for it.     

2o6

Durango is good, it's basically a long Grand Cherokee.

What about a new Traverse? The facelift bumped the interior up several notches and refined the 3.6/6AT combo

SVT666

The Durango is the one I would buy if I was in the market tight now. But if you think the QX80 is too big, then so is the Durango.

Morris Minor

Unless it's bigger than you want, how about one of the new Yukon/Tahoes? Get it loaded up & it should have what you're looking for.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

ifcar

Quote from: SVT666 on March 23, 2015, 09:15:37 AM
The Durango is the one I would buy if I was in the market tight now. But if you think the QX80 is too big, then so is the Durango.

The Infiniti is seven inches longer, four inches wider, and four inches taller than the Durango. Meanwhile, the Durango is smaller than an Enclave in most dimensions except for being two inches taller.

The Durango seems like a good choice; the Ford Explorer would work too if the Durango is the only mainstream-badged car that would get a waiver. If you haven't driven the new MDX (I haven't either) it sounds like it's more focused on quietness over handling than the last model, so maybe it would fit your needs better. And are you considering another Enclave, with the updates it's received since yours?

veeman

Quote from: 2o6 on March 23, 2015, 09:06:33 AM
Durango is good, it's basically a long Grand Cherokee.

What about a new Traverse? The facelift bumped the interior up several notches and refined the 3.6/6AT combo

Quote from: SVT666 on March 23, 2015, 09:15:37 AM
Quote from: Morris Minor on March 23, 2015, 09:21:24 AM
Unless it's bigger than you want, how about one of the new Yukon/Tahoes? Get it loaded up & it should have what you're looking for.

Thanks!! and much appreciate the replies. 

Can't go from an Enclave to a Traverse.  Wifey in no way would go for it.  Might as well go for the new Enclave but need to change it up for the sake of change.

Since my wife wants all the luxury stuff like leather, sunroof, electronic doodads, would have to go certified rather than new for the Yukon/Tahoe.  It's definitely an option especially for the last generation model since the new generation just came out and I might be able to get a decent deal.   Also like the Infiniti QX80, not sure if it will fit in the garage.  It is something to explore though. 

I was under the impression the Durango is smaller in height and width than Infiniti QX80/Tahoe type SUVs?   

veeman

Didn't see your post ifcar.  Thanks!  You're an encyclopedia man. 

ifcar

Quote from: veeman on March 23, 2015, 09:44:55 AM
Didn't see your post ifcar.  Thanks!  You're an encyclopedia man. 

Haha, I just looked it up. I don't have the specs memorized; I just had the same instinct you did about their sizes and looked it up to verify.

veeman

Slightly off-topic, I'm pretty sure dealer "certification" is bullcrap and if I went that route (let's say for a < 15,000 mile prior generation Yukon Denali), should I try to get it checked out by an independent mechanic before purchasing.  Just to make sure.  Would a dealer let me or would they get all bent out of shape because I'm calling bullcrap on their "certification" process?

SVT666

Huh.  I thought the Durango was a full size SUV now.  That's good to know.  I want it even more now.

MX793

Quote from: veeman on March 23, 2015, 10:08:28 AM
Slightly off-topic, I'm pretty sure dealer "certification" is bullcrap and if I went that route (let's say for a < 15,000 mile prior generation Yukon Denali), should I try to get it checked out by an independent mechanic before purchasing.  Just to make sure.  Would a dealer let me or would they get all bent out of shape because I'm calling bullcrap on their "certification" process?

Dealer certified or factory certified?  Factory backed CPO programs (like GM Certified or BMW Certified) generally come with a good warranty.  Sometimes as long and comprehensive as a new car warranty.  Because of the warranty, they have a vested interest in making sure that vehicle is in tip-top shape.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

veeman

Quote from: MX793 on March 23, 2015, 10:39:58 AM
Dealer certified or factory certified?  Factory backed CPO programs (like GM Certified or BMW Certified) generally come with a good warranty.  Sometimes as long and comprehensive as a new car warranty.  Because of the warranty, they have a vested interest in making sure that vehicle is in tip-top shape.

Hmmm.  Didn't realize there were different "certifications" for "certified" cars.  Very interesting.  Will have to do some googling on this...

MX793

Generally, any CPO car sold from a dealer that sells new cars will be factory certified.  So if your local Honda dealer has a certified Accord on the lot, that's almost certainly a Honda factory certified car.  I'd be wary of "certified" cars sold at Joe Blow's Cheap Used Car Emporium, or a certified used car from one automaker being sold at the dealership of another (like a certified BMW at a Chevy dealer).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

BimmerM3

Quote from: veeman on March 23, 2015, 10:08:28 AM

Probably not necessary if it's factory certified with a warranty and all that, but it couldn't hurt.

If the dealership has a problem with it, I'd take it as a sign that they don't trust their own certification process. If their certification is as good as they say it is, they should be pretty confident that your mechanic won't find anything wrong.

68_427

You can probably get quite a bit of cash on the hood of a Durango Citadel.

Plus V8
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

veeman

Quote from: 68_427 on March 25, 2015, 02:42:07 AM
You can probably get quite a bit of cash on the hood of a Durango Citadel.

Plus V8

I went and looked at it at a dealership yesterday.  They didn't have the citadel model but that's the one I'd get.  Very nice looking.  Good power train warranty (100,000) mile.  They also offered the most on my trade in.  If we spring for it, I'd get the V6 because the Enclave had plenty of power and never felt it was slow.  Also I don't tow and don't foresee getting a boat anytime soon.

If it was up to me, I'd jump on it.  Gotta get my wife to test drive it within the next few days.  The third row is passable for kids and usually won't be used. 

I honestly don't know how she'll feel about it.  I'm not pushing her one way or another for any particular car other than avoiding the German ones and Land Rover strictly because of cost of ownership.

68_427

Maybe she'll feel like it gives her a badass you better put my kid in the game soccer mom look.

'racecar is die'
no

veeman

Quote from: 68_427 on March 25, 2015, 06:12:27 AM
Maybe she'll feel like it gives her a badass you better put my kid in the game soccer mom look.

+1

The Lincoln MKT looks good too, although a bit hearse like.  She felt it was a station wagon though.   The Infiniti QX60 looks fantastic inside. Exterior wise, it's kind of lame looking and doesn't have any presence.  Maybe that's a bit harsh... it's just O.K.

veeman

Just an update.  My wife test drove the Infiniti QX60, QX80, Lincoln MKT, Ford Expedition, and Acura MDX.  The only one she really liked was the QX80.  I know a lot of people on this forum hate that car but I like it.  If a hotrod and a semitruck had a kid, it would look like the QX80. 

New ones go for around 70 grand, one year old certified ones with 15,000 miles go for around 60 grand, and 3 year old (QX56) certified ones with 40,000 miles go for around 45 grand (at least that's what the list  price is on autotrader).

68_427

I for one love the QX80.  Road presence out the ass.
'racecar is die'
no

ifcar

veeman

Quote from: ifcar on April 03, 2015, 08:27:07 AM
No Durango?

She told me she felt the Infiniti QX60 and Acura MDX were too small so I didn't bother having her test drive the Durango.  We go on several long interstate drives a year and she wants to stretch out like in a first class airline seat and also sit in the back and watch movies with the kids.  She also doesn't want a minivan.  Yeah, 90% of the time she'll be driving it alone to work but I understand where she's coming from.  I'm trying to get her to at least test drive the Kia Sedona because I think it looks pretty good but she won't have it. 

I was surprised at how small the 3rd row is in Tahoes/Yukons, at least regular length versions.  The Ford Expedition has gargantuan space and I really like its understated but classy look.  It's interior is subpar for the price. 

GoCougs

The QX80 is a monster. I always try to get one as a service loaner but no dice yet.

veeman

Quote from: GoCougs on April 03, 2015, 03:15:56 PM
The QX80 is a monster. I always try to get one as a service loaner but no dice yet.

Livin large

veeman

Traded in the Enclave.  Needed both catalytic converters replaced and flex tube in order to pass emissions.

Picked up a certified 2013 Infiniti QX56 with 20,000 miles on the odometer.  Had a very small dent in the front bumper and minor scratches in the back bumper which the dealer agreed to fix.  Bought an extended warranty up to 120,000 miles which also covers audio/nav.  I know I paid too much for that extended warranty (4 grand) but... I did  it anyways.

It came with 22 inch wheels. 

Thoughts other than it being huge.  Interior/Exterior I think looks great.  Ride is real comfy although the Enclave was even a bit softer.  Despite how big it is, it's a cinch to park with the surround vision camera.

68_427

I've always liked these.  Huge road presence.
'racecar is die'
no

veeman

thanks!

Other than the side ventiports which are lame, I really like the styling. 

This surround vision feature is really really good.  It superimposes these lines in front or back of you depending on how you have your steering wheel positioned.  Love it. 

MrH

Congrats.  Might not be a bad idea on the extended warranty.  Those have a really complex but cool anti roll system in them.  Keeps the behemoth relatively flat in the corners.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did it run you? 
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

veeman

Quote from: MrH on June 25, 2015, 10:20:01 AM
Congrats.  Might not be a bad idea on the extended warranty.  Those have a really complex but cool anti roll system in them.  Keeps the behemoth relatively flat in the corners.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did it run you? 

Short answer: $56 thousand. 

Long answer:  When I did an autotrader search for certified newish QX56/QX80 with < 30 thousand miles, very few came up.  When I excluded the color white (I get a young punk vibe when I see this car in white), I hardly saw any.  Saw a dark red one which was one year older than mine for 49 thousand but it was sold by the time I called.  New this car with the options I got on it is around 78 thousand list.  I got 9.5 thousand for my Enclave. 

Raza

Jesus, that's a huge truck. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.