Uber

Started by 2o6, May 03, 2015, 11:31:20 AM

2o6

I'm highly considering getting a new car (not solely for Uber, so don't think that) to replace the Yaris, since its getting up there in miles. Really, it just needs to be four door; I've seen plenty of Versas and even a Fiesta ST, so a Mazda 2 is looking like the Likely candidate to trplace the Yaris.

(I am considering a new Fit, but even though it's affordable, buying a new car terrifies me. However, I can get a new Fit for like 16.5K out the door with like 1.9apr, and my payment would be a measly $50 a more a month than I pay now, and the Fit has really good residuals so I wouldn't so much money. But the Fit is fugly.)

Anyways.

Is it just me or is this company kinda terrible? I've recently learned of a financing/leasing deal they have. Plus other fees. It's horrible. They advertise it as "Just $1XX a week for a few weeks, then the car is yours for $1!"

That's basically a buy here, pay here style of marketing tactic, but just using cellphones and a service.

Plus people getting deactivated on Uber for little to no reason

I wish Lyft was still in Columbus.

Cookie Monster

I wouldn't try to Uber around in a subcompact. That's no fun for people in the back seat and it seems like most people using Uber in the peak times of the day (err night?) are in groups.

Can you get something like a used Impala or something? Not as fun but it'd work better for Uber (I know you said the car wasn't specifically for Uber but still...).
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

2o6

Quote from: thecarnut on May 03, 2015, 12:45:17 PM
I wouldn't try to Uber around in a subcompact. That's no fun for people in the back seat and it seems like most people using Uber in the peak times of the day (err night?) are in groups.

Can you get something like a used Impala or something? Not as fun but it'd work better for Uber (I know you said the car wasn't specifically for Uber but still...).

It's not cost effective for me to do that for something I'm not doing full time.

Besides, there are plenty of subcompacts and compacts using uber. Like three Yaris sedans yesterday.

This thread is about how Uber is a terrible company

Cookie Monster

Quote from: 2o6 on May 03, 2015, 12:47:11 PM

It's not cost effective for me to do that for something I'm not doing full time.

Besides, there are plenty of subcompacts and compacts using uber. Like three Yaris sedans yesterday.

This thread is about how Uber is a terrible company

Oh sorry, it's just that you started off the post talking about getting a new car...

Anywho, I've only ridden in bigger Uber vehicles. I would hate to be crammed in the back seat of a Fit or something. I personally don't have any experience with it though; I've only ridden in it with friends.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

2o6

Fits have big back seats.

Like measurably bigger than a fair amount of mid sized sedans

Raza

I've never used UberX, which is where most of the complaints seem to stem from.  Black car drivers don't particularly care for X drivers, as X drivers don't need any training and they have to be limo drivers.  Uber drivers live and die on their rating.  And they need a high one.  I think, at least here, 4.6 is threshold for sanction.  Then they're given a period of time to raise it, then they're fired if they don't. 

I haven't talked to a Black car driver who hasn't said he liked it (nor have I given anyone less than 5 stars). 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Lebowski

I use uber (mostly uberx drivers) quite a bit. I think they're a great company, at least from the standpoint of the user, far far far better than the cab companies. I've talked w/ a number of the drivers I've had about it and the vast majority of them seem to have a positive opinion of it.  It seems the drivers who understand how it works (get 5 star reviews and know what locations to hang around) do reasonably well.

The overall experience is >>>>>> a cab. Cleaner cars, better customer service, significantly faster (and transparency as far as wait time, not "we'll have a cab there as soon as possible" followed by a 45 minute wait), and cheaper.  I'd use it even it it wasn't cheaper.  I've pretty much eliminated drinking and driving since uber has been here.

Morris Minor

Quote from: Lebowski on May 04, 2015, 08:40:16 AM
I use uber (mostly uberx drivers) quite a bit. I think they're a great company, at least from the standpoint of the user, far far far better than the cab companies. I've talked w/ a number of the drivers I've had about it and the vast majority of them seem to have a positive opinion of it.  It seems the drivers who understand how it works (get 5 star reviews and know what locations to hang around) do reasonably well.

The overall experience is >>>>>> a cab. Cleaner cars, better customer service, significantly faster (and transparency as far as wait time, not "we'll have a cab there as soon as possible" followed by a 45 minute wait), and cheaper.  I'd use it even it it wasn't cheaper.  I've pretty much eliminated drinking and driving since uber has been here.

Uber's main challenge is vested interests using government to try to destroy it. At Atlanta's airport, UberX drivers are telling passengers to hug them & sit in the front seat - trying to avoid tickets/impoundment for "unauthorized transportation activity."
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Morris Minor on May 04, 2015, 09:40:40 AM
Uber's main challenge is vested interests using government to try to destroy it.

On the one hand I can see having some kind of regulation- but the process/system for taxi drivers has become bloated and far too excessive.
Will

MX793

How are Uber drivers getting around livery licenses?  Or is that required?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

TBR

Quote from: MX793 on May 05, 2015, 11:02:55 AM
How are Uber drivers getting around livery licenses?  Or is that required?

Only for the black service, which ends up being a little more expensive than a taxi, but much more convenient. Use that one a lot for work.

Uber X is more sketch.

MX793

I'm surprised someone hasn't just been cracking down on Uber drivers for not having livery licenses.  It's illegal to carry people for hire without one.  Also surprised insurance companies aren't clamping down on it.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Galaxy

So what does happen if they get into an accident? Surely that must have happened.

Lebowski

Quote from: MX793 on May 05, 2015, 12:33:50 PM

I'm surprised someone hasn't just been cracking down on Uber drivers for not having livery licenses.  It's illegal to carry people for hire without one.  Also surprised insurance companies aren't clamping down on it.

My understanding is it is generally legal, although I'm not sure exactly what avenue they go through to get around it.  It seems they have to do a lot of legal/lobbying work market by market to get approval.

Also, my understanding is they carry commercial insurance policies.

Lebowski

Quote from: TBR on May 05, 2015, 12:10:01 PM

Only for the black service, which ends up being a little more expensive than a taxi, but much more convenient. Use that one a lot for work.

Uber X is more sketch.

Sketch compared to what?  Taxi drivers?  Black car owners/drivers?  Yeah cause I've never encountered either of those to be sketch.

2o6

I've used UberX with friends while going out to frolick with the help of spirits

I've never had a sketch driver, but thing is I'm reading more into Uber and I'm less and less interested in becoming a partner for them.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MX793 on May 05, 2015, 12:33:50 PM

That's a grey area; its illegal to solicite or get paid by the customer without a livery license; its not illegal to just carry passengers. Uber's position is that its he app that does the actual soliciting and paying, so the drivers don't break the law that way.

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 2o6 on May 05, 2015, 01:48:44 PM
I'm reading more into Uber and I'm less and less interested in becoming a partner for them.

Probably pays like delivering pizzas does.....
Will

TBR

Quote from: Lebowski on May 05, 2015, 12:56:58 PM

Sketch compared to what?  Taxi drivers?  Black car owners/drivers?  Yeah cause I've never encountered either of those to be sketch.

Just the fundamental idea of getting into an average joe stranger's car is just a little strange. Generally, the Uber X drivers I have had have been far more professional in dress / car upkeep versus the typical tax driver.

Can't say I have ever had any trouble w/ black car drivers though. OFC I've only used them via Uber.

Laconian

Why are you guys so fixated on the race of your taxi drivers? :facepalm:
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Lebowski

Quote from: TBR on May 05, 2015, 03:40:33 PM

Just the fundamental idea of getting into an average joe stranger's car is just a little strange. Generally, the Uber X drivers I have had have been far more professional in dress / car upkeep versus the typical tax driver.

Can't say I have ever had any trouble w/ black car drivers though. OFC I've only used them via Uber.

The idea was originally weird to me, but the most sketch uber driver I've had would probably be comparable to one of the better taxi drivers.  I've had some real weirdos as taxi drivers before.  I've also been in some real filth cabs. Uber drivers who rate much below 5.0 don't get fares and it shows in their professionalism, cleanliness etc.  As for safety of getting into a "strangers car", a cab driver is a stranger too and w/ uber at least there's a digital record w/ location info etc. 

Black cars my negative experiences have mostly been around playing games with fares and preying on ignorance/tourists (ie you ask a hotel bellman for a taxi to the airport and he calls a black car instead, then ask the driver his airport rate and it's 30% more than what a cab charges, I assume the bellman gets a kickback. Similarly, black car drivers hanging out at airports asking if you need a "taxi" claiming to be the same fare structure when that isn't the case). I generally avoid black cars unless it's something arranged beforehand through work etc. 

Soup DeVille

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on May 05, 2015, 02:51:36 PM

Most guys claim to see about 10-12 bucks per hour.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

2o6

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on May 05, 2015, 02:51:36 PM

I averaged $25 an hour when I worked for Jimmy Johns.

MexicoCityM3

I love Uber. Protests by taxi drivers against them are getting stronger down here, but public sentiment is totally in favor of a better alternative to our extremely crappy cabs.

I think a Fit is fine for UberX duty. It is very roomy inside.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 05, 2015, 04:23:31 PM
Most guys claim to see about 10-12 bucks per hour.
Quote from: 2o6 on May 05, 2015, 05:22:59 PM
I averaged $25 an hour when I worked for Jimmy Johns.

Who pays for vehicle maintenance, insurance, registration, etc????
Will

Soup DeVille

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on May 05, 2015, 06:41:55 PM
Who pays for vehicle maintenance, insurance, registration, etc????

You do, of course.

The number i was giving took those into account.

(Most dudes delivering pizza don't)

BimmerM3

I just became an Uber X partner, basically as a way to offset the additional costs of owning the Explorer. I've only done two rides because my transmission started acting funny during my second one yesterday (first day), but it's a pretty painless process to become a driver. If you're getting a new car anyway, you don't really have much to lose by giving it a shot.

I think Uber basically takes 20% of each fare and pays you the rest. You're employed as a contractor, so you're responsible for paying taxes out of your cut, so don't forget to put aside a portion of every paycheck.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: BimmerM3 on May 06, 2015, 09:41:08 AM
I just became an Uber X partner,

I'm not downloading the app unless I get a "spirited" ride in the Honda....  :mrcool:
Will

2o6

Quote from: BimmerM3 on May 06, 2015, 09:41:08 AM
I just became an Uber X partner, basically as a way to offset the additional costs of owning the Explorer. I've only done two rides because my transmission started acting funny during my second one yesterday (first day), but it's a pretty painless process to become a driver. If you're getting a new car anyway, you don't really have much to lose by giving it a shot.

I think Uber basically takes 20% of each fare and pays you the rest. You're employed as a contractor, so you're responsible for paying taxes out of your cut, so don't forget to put aside a portion of every paycheck.

People here were making hundreds and hundreds of dollars here during the OSU football season

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 2o6 on May 06, 2015, 10:54:47 AM

People here were making hundreds and hundreds of dollars here during the OSU football season

peak times are probably great to drive.
Will